Problem w SanDisk 16GB microSD

I have recently purchased a SanDisk 16GB microSD card for my Fuze. It initially worked fine, but now the Fuze won’t budge past the logo screen with the card inserted. If I take the card out, the Fuze works OK, as it does with my SanDisk 2 GB microSD card.

The 16GB card, as you might surmise, is formatted as FAT32 (reformatted again last night). I don’t have the MP3s stored in a folder, but rather they all reside the root. Might there be too many file entries (pointers) that even FAT32 chokes on them?

If not an allocation table problem, any ideas?

Thanks

I see on the M$ website that FAT32 can have unlimited entries in the root, so that’s not the issue.

Could it be that the Fuze’s firmware doesn’t like the MP3 collection not being in a folder? I’ve seen this behavior on other PMPs.

I’m not too sure.  Like you said, it might just be that the Fuze doesn’t like the fact that all your files are located in the root directory.  

Try created a “MUSIC” folder and putting all your music in there.  See if that works. 

Message Edited by Corilof on 20-04-2009 05:43 PM

AFAIK Fuze normally creates a folder structure on the uSD card when it finds a freshly formatted one inserted. At least that’s what it seems to do for me. So I’m surprised the folders aren’t there.

OTH, it’s not fussy about where you put tracks - I can put them in the root on the uSD and all seems well

Are you sure you haven’t got a track on the uSD that the Fuze doesn’t like?

@daytona955 wrote:

AFAIK Fuze normally creates a folder structure on the uSD card when it finds a freshly formatted one inserted. At least that’s what it seems to do for me. So I’m surprised the folders aren’t there.

OTH, it’s not fussy about where you put tracks - I can put them in the root on the uSD and all seems well

Are you sure you haven’t got a track on the uSD that the Fuze doesn’t like?

Yeah my Fuze creates the folders on its own if I format the card.  

Well two things jagdriver needs to try:  Place all the music in the Music folder to see if that fixes the issue.  But if what daytona955 says is true, then it shouldn’t matter since the Fuze is not fussy where the tracks are. 

So it is likely you haev a file that the Fuze does not like.  If the above test does not work, try formatting the card again and starting the Fuze without any music files on the external card.  If that doesn’t work, then I would imagine there is something faulty with the card itself.  If that works, then there’s a file that the Fuze does not like.  So start putting music back on until you find which one(s) are causing the problem. 

<Are you sure you haven’t got a track on the uSD that the Fuze doesn’t like?>

How would I know which track is causing the problem? MY PCs don’t have any such problem, but I’ve not subjected this collection to any MP3 file integrity checker. Do you know of one you can recommend?

Oh, and I let Windows Vista format the uSD card.

Try putting half the files on, and then try it.  If it works, you know it’s not in that half of your collection on the card.  Put half of the remaining files on, etc., so you can narrow it down.

@jagdriver wrote:

<Are you sure you haven’t got a track on the uSD that the Fuze doesn’t like?>

How would I know which track is causing the problem? MY PCs don’t have any such problem, but I’ve not subjected this collection to any MP3 file integrity checker. Do you know of one you can recommend?

The only scanner that will tell you a Fuze doesn’t like a file is a Fuze… 

Presumably everything works OK with the card empty?

If so you’ll have to work through them as tenzip & Corilof say.

Before that though, you could try updating the firmware, if you haven’t already.

How many tracks have you got on the card? Latest firmware allows up to 8000 in total, previous versions 4000. 

I didn’t know of a track number limitation, nor did I know of the fw upgrade until I posted earlier today.

I did find an MP3tester utility at bynasoft.com ($8). It looks quite useful and it flagged about a dozen tracks as having bad frames. It’ll also test for such things as missing album art and provide CSV output, so this will be useful in helping me manage my very large collection.

I don’t have the Fuze with me at work, so I’ll have to run the suggested tests when I get home.

@jagdriver wrote:

I didn’t know of a track number limitation, nor did I know of the fw upgrade until I posted earlier today.

I did find an MP3tester utility at bynasoft.com ($8). It looks quite useful and it flagged about a dozen tracks as having bad frames. It’ll also test for such things as missing album art and provide CSV output, so this will be useful in helping me manage my very large collection.

I don’t have the Fuze with me at work, so I’ll have to run the suggested tests when I get home.

Interesting…

But just beacuse an MP3 file conforms to the various standards doesn’t mean that the Fuze firmware will handle it… In my experience (admittedly only a Fuze & e260v2), Sansas are quite fussy about what they accept, particularly with tags. I can’t remember which player it was, but I regularly used to get lock ups (during play) with embedded album art the player couldn’t handle.

That’s another reason to try a firmware upgrade - the new version is supposed to handle ID3v2.4, so maybe the tag handling functions have been given a general overhaul…

Had the same problem and a firmware upgrade did sort it out. Happy Days!