Please increase the files limit for 32Gb microSDHC (April)

32Gbs are coming out on April 20, could you please confirm the files limit will be inreased around that time?

Don’t hold your breath.

Don’t hold your breath.

Where did you hear they’re coming out in April? Exactly 1 year ago, all the buzz was that they would definitely ship in June (09), And we all know how that went.

Don't hold your breath.

Where did you hear they're coming out in April? Exactly 1 year ago, all the buzz was that they would definitely ship in June (09). And we all know how that went. :wink:

Heres the model number for the 32gb microsd SDSDQY-032G-A11M

You can pre-order it at flash memory store

notgod wrote:
32Gbs are coming out on April 20, could you please confirm the files limit will be inreased around that time?

Seems they launched a month early, on March 23rd.

Of course you still can’t buy one, as now they are out of stock and on back-order! :stuck_out_tongue:

No, everything is according to schedule — 3/23/10 wholesale, next month retail.

But the question is still the same — will the cap be raised in time?

Message Edited by notgod on 03-26-2010 12:16 PM

Message Edited by notgod on 03-26-2010 12:16 PM

Shouldn’t be an issue unless you’re using 64kbps music files, or a crapload of audiobooks.:wink:

According to the press release you linked to:

[Quote] The 32GB SanDisk microSDHC card is available starting Tuesday, 3/23/10 on SanDisk.com U.S. and European e-commerce sites, with worldwide retail availability to follow next month. The new card comes with a 5 year limited warranty and carries a suggested retail price of $199.99. [Un-Quote]

And indeed if you click on the SanDisk logo at the top of the page here, you’ll find that you can order them retail.

Of course, due to popular demand, they are now (as of today, 3/26/10) out of stock and on back-order, but you can still place an order.

So, in light of that then I’d say no, the file limitation won’t be raised in time. :stuck_out_tongue:

notgod wrote:

No, everything is according to schedule — 3/23/10 wholesale, next month retail.

But the question is still the same — will the cap be raised in time?

According to the press release you linked to:

[Quote] The 32GB SanDisk microSDHC card is available starting Tuesday, 3/23/10 on SanDisk.com U.S. and European e-commerce sites, with worldwide retail availability to follow next month. The new card comes with a 5 year limited warranty and carries a suggested retail price of $199.99. [Un-Quote]

And indeed if you click on the SanDisk logo at the top of the page here, you’ll find that you can order them retail.

Of course, due to popular demand, they are now (as of today, 3/26/10) out of stock and on back-order, but you can still place an order.

So, in light of that then I’d say no, the file limitation won’t be raised in time. :stuck_out_tongue:

Marvin, I guess you didn’t do the math. At 128 kbps, one can fit around 250 4 minute songs in a GB of space, which means  10,000 songs in 40 GB. If they use 192 kbps with 3.5  minute average songs, it works out to around 9,200 songs. So those using at least 192 kbps with songs averaging over 4 minutes should be fine.

The song limit might not be raisable, as imo the song database probably needs to be in ram for the player to respond rapidly, and the ram in the player is very limited.

Tapeworm, they are out of stock not due to popular demand, but due to the fact that sellers tend to mark items that are not yet in stock this way. It’s a wholesale period now, retail is in April, regardless of if you click the logo or would be able to resist such temptation.

I hope the cap could be raised, otherwise those of us who have crapload of audiobooks are damned.

Message Edited by notgod on 03-26-2010 04:07 PM

JK98 wrote:

Marvin, I guess you didn’t do the math. At 128 kbps, one can fit around 250 4 minute songs in a GB of space, which means  10,000 songs in 40 GB. If they use 192 kbps with 3.5  minute average songs, it works out to around 9,200 songs. So those using at least 192 kbps with songs averaging over 4 minutes should be fine.

The song limit might not be raisable, as imo the song database probably needs to be in ram for the player to respond rapidly, and the ram in the player is very limited.

I was speaking rhetorically, and even a bit facetiously. I didn’t do the math, because I had a feeling that somebody else would. ![](file:///C:/Users/Randy/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png)

notgod wrote:

Tapeworm, they are out of stock not due to popular demand, but due to the fact that sellers tend to mark items that are not yet in stock this way. It’s a wholesale period now, retail is in April, regardless of if you click the logo or would be able to resist such temptation.

I hope the cap could be raised, otherwise those of us who have crapload of audiobooks are damned.

Message Edited by notgod on 03-26-2010 04:07 PM

I believe there have been some workarounds mentioned here that would help the audiobook fans with this issue.:wink:

@jk98 wrote:

If Sansa players had at least real folder browsing it would be no problem. This whole database system is so limited. The refreshing thing alone will get even more tedious with big cards.

On the other hand, personally I don’t need 8000 tracks on my player, so I doubt I will buy a card bigger than 8GB any time soon. 

The 8000 track database limitation does become an issue as memory capacity expands.  Just think back a few years, how much the capacity of those wee cards has increased!

There are many possibilities open for alternative methods of handling the music database, and implementation will take a wee bit of experimentation, depending upon the method chosen.  Off-hand, I can think of several ways to build a compressed index.  Don’t forget, as long as the Sansa knows where to look for the required files, we don’t really need a live complete index in RAM, we only need the keys. 

There’s plenty of available flash memory both in the device and in the expansion card if need be.

In experiments, I’ve seen Windows 2000 running with 32MB of RAM, now how’s that for bizarre?  The Sansa has specific tasks to perform, and no need for exotic driver libraries, only specific codecs.

As the flash memory has increased by a factor of two, from 1GB-2-4-8-16- and now 32GB , the steps haven’t exactly been small, now have they?  Think, that’s formatted FAT32, a kludgy method, but one that works.  NTFS isn’t even a factor.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

I might buy a 16 GB micro SDHC card when the price for a class 4 or class 6 one gets under $30. It will be interesting when the 32 GB micro SDHC cards get under $50. I guess that might take around two years?

The more I read about the firmware (hardcoded db limit, minimal volume too high, folder mode names issues, no pan, barbaric eq, etc) the more I feel the abi review (which made me order it) was slightly superficial.

Yes, there are no better player in this size category, but my hopes for Rockbox running in its full glory turned into prays. I check that thread every day…

As to the card prices,  JK98, there is some chance for $50 32Gb by the end of 2011. If 64Gb microSDXC launches in Q1 and 128Gb in Q4 that year, like it is being rumored.

Message Edited by notgod on 03-28-2010 04:34 AM

notgod wrote:

Funny, this page (Sansa store) doesn’t mention anywhere that only wholesalers can buy these cards now. The 32GB card is offered for retail sale along with all the other sized micro SDHC cards.

Adding it to your cart and filling in all your information goes smoothly. Stopping just short of actually typing in my credit card number got me absolutely no response that the item was out-of-stock, on back-order or otherwise un-available until April. On the contrary, there was a special incentive to buy by March 26th to receive “a free, limited edition SanDisk case for your phone* , while supplies last.

That certianly doesn’t sound like a ‘wholesale period’ to me. Obviously, you must have (or think you have) insider information to the contrary, although you haven’t offered up any source, confirmation or proof of what you claim. Everything I’ve been able to find (and provide verifiable liks to, including your own link to SanDisk’s press release) suggests otherwise. The 32GB cards are indeed available for purchase by anyone who is willing and able to pay the price of $199.99, regardless of whether they hold a wholesale re-seller’s permit of not.

Tapeworm, there is no big point of arguing about this, I think. Plus, I don’t really want to — the more I read the forums, the more I like you, and have no itch of beating you in this battle of great minds.

It is listed at Sansa store, but with a «No» in the «In stock» column. It is very unlikely there will be «Yes» untill April, as logistics takes time, but I will be only glad to be wrong here.

However, I think you’d agree that the exact day is not critical for the question of the thread. The 32Gb could be considered existing, and I hoped Sansa team could adjust the tracks limit accordingly — for us, the books junkies.

But being a practical man, I already switched the power of my midnight prayers to the Rockbox direction.