playing unit while plugged into usb port

Many of us would like to listen to our mp3s while working and I think the Ipod can play while being recharged in the usb port.  Is this a feature with the clip?  If not is there anyway to override the settings to allow this.

Thanks

Gary

In the Quick Start guide, it says:

“The battery can also be charged using an AC adapter or a car charger and you will be able to play your device while charging with one of the adapters.”

Message Edited by PromisedPlanet on 11-24-2007 09:51 AM

Thanks for your reply, but I was referring to the usb connection.  My unit does not seem to work when plugged in there.

Oops, sorry. 

The Quick Start guide also says that the Clip cannot be played while plugged into USB.  I doubt there’s anyone around this.

you can disable the data port a number of ways… modding a cable, disabling usb host controllers (different for every computer,   i have to disable one host controller which disalbes usb 2.0, then i have 4 other ones one for each port, and i select the one that i plugged it into), or use a powerd usb hub, which is what i use at my desk.

If you want to, you can mask the data line with a piece of scotch tape and then plug your device into your computer.  Then your computer can still charge and you can still listen to music and do all other stuff.  The link below will show you where are the data pin on your usb connector.  Have fun.

http://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB\_pinout.shtml

it works! just put a piece of tape on the middle two strips, and it doesn’t do data sync, just charges the player. if you don’t want to keep taking the tape off and putting it back on and you have an extra set of usb cables, just dedicate one to always have tape on it.

or you can go all out, and cut the cable, take one data wire out and install a switch onto it. kekeke  XD

Thanks for the suggestion.

The same strategy worked with my AC adapter, which I had for my previous mp3 player.

The AC adapter had standard 5 volt on one data line and 0 volt on the other. And the Clip would not charge because it could not make sense of it.

But masking the data lines, fixes the problem.

Still, it would be nice if it would be possible to change the usb settings, so that the clip will only charge, and will not try to create a connection.

You can also try just pluging the cable halfway into the USB port.  Sometimes this will allow the power connection but not the data.

Hey, for what it’s worth, how about a selectable new USB mode, “Data Off” or “Charge Only”.

As a safety, I’d have the display state “Data OFF” when operating in this mode, in the idle state. In fact, i’d have it display that when 5V is first detected, to remind the user that the device will not be communicating, plus on screen refresh after the timeout.  Now that might be pretty cool…

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

@neutron_bob wrote:

Hey, for what it’s worth, how about a selectable new USB mode, “Data Off” or “Charge Only”.

As a safety, I’d have the display state “Data OFF” when operating in this mode, in the idle state. In fact, i’d have it display that when 5V is first detected, to remind the user that the device will not be communicating, plus on screen refresh after the timeout.  Now that might be pretty cool…

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

That would be excellent and probably elminate about 20% of the posts on this forum. :smiley:

@skinjob wrote:

That would be excellent and probably elminate about 20% of the posts on this forum. :smiley:

Yeah, an additional 75% would be eliminated if the Clip had Folder navigation support!  :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Hear hear!

hmm, i’ve gotten the clip to play while charging on my laptop before…i have no idea how i did it, and i found it annoying because it continued to play after i unplugged it, killing much of my batteries. Though the charging while playing, might just be something screwy with my laptop

Or it could have been the USB cable, or the connection (perhaps it only was a partial connection).