Need advice on 8GB Clip

@jk98 wrote:

"I’ve bought three 2GB clips, one 4GB and two 8GB.  None of them have ever had a problem.  Obviously I do have a shopping problem but that’s not sandisk’s fault :smiley: "

Do you still have all these players? If so, do you still use all of them? Have you thought about giving away the 2 gig players? I could understand having 2 or 3 Clips. A friend even suggested the idea of carrying more than one Clip at a time to have more songs available, and to have more play time.

Some are being used by family, I keep a few (one 8gb, one 4gb and one 2gb) myself.  I like to have backup… if they weren’t so well priced I would be ok but I’m a ■■■■■■ for a bargain.  Also if I ever break or lose the clip part I’m sorted :wink: (which is good because I’m not in the US). 

I saw the mention of an AC adaptor.  I never leave my computer on so charging via USB would be problematic since I’m not always on the computer.  Does the box contain the AC adaptor or is that something I would have to buy separatly?

@warrior1986 wrote:
I saw the mention of an AC adaptor.  I never leave my computer on so charging via USB would be problematic since I’m not always on the computer.  Does the box contain the AC adaptor or is that something I would have to buy separatly?

It does not come with an AC adapter.  You can use just about any AC adapter that has the mini-USB connector.  Just check to be sure that it’s 5 volts at around 500ma.  Most cell phone adapters with the mini-USB will work fine, or you can get one that just has a regular USB jack and use the cable that comes with the Clip.  Belkin makes a few models like that.

@jkj1962 wrote:

@warrior1986 wrote:

It does not come with an AC adapter.  You can use just about any AC adapter that has the mini-USB connector.  Just check to be sure that it’s 5 volts at around 500ma.  Most cell phone adapters with the mini-USB will work fine, or you can get one that just has a regular USB jack and use the cable that comes with the Clip.  Belkin makes a few models like that.

Hmm, I see.  I’ve got a Motorola Razr V3m and a Motorola Q9c and both of those have the mini-USB connector I believe.  So one of those will work?

They should, if the plug is a standard mini-USB and fits into the Clip.  Just double-check the amperage to make sure it’s enough (it should be).

Macally and DLO also make good quality AC adapters (the latter with its small PowerBug–cute!), and FiiO has a nifty combined wall adapter/portable power suppply/battery recharger, the P3, which is available at MP4Nation.net for just under $15 including shipping internationally–a good deal.  http://mp4nation.net/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_45&products_id=271

I think it is, this is what it looks like.

As for the amperage, these are the numbers listed on the plug.

INPUT: 100-240V ~ 50-60Hz, 0.15A

OUTPUT: 5v _ _ _ 850mA

Message Edited by Warrior1986 on 02-05-2009 09:15 PM

5v at 850 ma  should do it,   I have a 5v at 750 ma and it works fine.      i can rechange the clip in about 2 1/2 hours if its completely dead. …

@warrior1986 wrote:

@jkj1962 wrote:

@warrior1986 wrote:

Hmm, I see.  I’ve got a Motorola Razr V3m and a Motorola Q9c and both of those have the mini-USB connector I believe.  So one of those will work?

I have a Razr; it will definitely work.  The Q9c will most likely work.

Just so I know since I’ve read conflicting answers on this, but how does the charging with the AC adaptor work?  Is the Clip supposed to be turned on and then plug it in to charge?  Or if I have it turned off and plug it in, will it still charge?  It doesn’t make any sense to me why it wouldn’t charge if the Clip was turned off.

And I haven’t seen an answer yet about the FM radio part of it.  Worthless or worthwhile?

Message Edited by Warrior1986 on 02-06-2009 08:22 AM

If you plug it in when off, the Clip will turn on.  Simply put your music into off/pause if it’s not yet set there.  The screen will turn off at whatever turnoff point you have set it (thereby preserving the OLED’s lifespan).

And the FM radio is just fine for a portable device.