Looping a Section of a Song

I own a Fuze and was thinking it would be cool if you could select a certain section of a song with two cursors and have that part of the song loop. You would have to be able to zoom in on the song’s progress bar though so your selection wouldn’t sound crappy as it repeated.

When you implement that feature in your next firmware update email me and let me know what you’re going to give me for my brilliant idea.  Another Sandisk Fuze would be cool, lol

Message Edited by chojin on 01-21-2009 10:18 PM

Stock up on plenty of food, water & toilet paper. You may be waiting a while. In fact by the time this is implemented, e-mail probably won’t exist anymore.

Not saying this is a dumb idea, but how annoying would that be and who would actually WANT to do it? YOU obviously, and maybe a handful of DJ mixers or rappers, but I seriously doubt whether most people would see this as a useful feature. There are many more ideas already on the list that would benefit the majority of users as well as a bug/glitch list that will keep the dev. team busy for some time to come.

Besides, if you really want to hear this type of effect, aren’t there audio editing software programs you can do this with and then save the changes in your file? Then you don’t have to fiddle with it on the player. Just press PLAY & enjoy (if you enjoy that sort of thing).

When combined with the ability to slow & speed music (hopefully with the ability to also maintain pitch!), this feature would be used by almost EVERY musician out there. Whether by a drummer practising drum rolls, or a guitarist attempting to figure out the solo of a heavy metal song by ear, this feature is indispensable!

Rockbox can obviously do some of this, but it’s much easier on an actual computer.

I’m a guitarist, so I’d find this useful, but I think there are many other basic functions missing from the Sansa which would be useful to the majority of users before this “nice to have” feature should be implemented (gapless playback, ability to fast forward/rewind with wheel etc).

“how annoying would that be and who would actually want to do that?”

Thanks for the input, old timer.  I didn’t know I had to take every other suggestion into account before I could make my own.

But, yea, I’m a musician as well coreying.  Glad you could appreciate the idea.

Message Edited by chojin on 01-22-2009 06:09 PM

I dont think Tape meant to say your idea was any less valid than any other, but rather that there are many more suggestions that would bennifit a greater number of people. Things like folder navigation and gappless play back are desired or nessessary for more people than looped playback. So For the 3 of us who read that and went “Hell yeah, I want that” it might be wiser to get used to protools or Audacity, to make new files for now as this option may be a while comming if ever at all. Sure for us musicians it would be cool but for most it would be a wasted feature.

@chojin wrote:

“how annoying would that be and who would actually want to do that?”

Thanks for the input, old timer.  I didn’t know I had to take every other suggestion into account before I could make my own.

OK, I admit that comment was a bit short-sighted and didn’t realize the scope of people that could/would find this useful, but I still believe the majority of people would see it as annoying feature they would never use, and more pressing functions/features would be better addressed before this one.

Just as a few others here want a player with a different screen or a commonly used replaceable battery; anything is probably possible but until a company can make money on such a product, or benefit the majority of people who would use a specific feature, it probably isn’t going to happen.

Even your colleague, coreying admitted:

“I’d find this useful, but I think there are many other basic functions missing from the Sansa which would be useful to the majority of users before this “nice to have” feature should be implemented”

I did not discount the validity of the idea, but suggested because of it’s rather niche value, you may be waiting for quite a while before you see it added, if at all. More likely a different player or instrument altogether designed more specifically to musician’s needs would come first. The current trend of trying to make every piece of electronic technology a virtual ‘Swiss Army Knife’ has resulted in for the most part, more frustration for consumers and well-meaning functions that pale in comparison to individual devices specifically made for specific purposes.

The Fuze is a perfect example. It is first and foremost a digital audio player that also plays videos . . . sometimes for some people who are willing to jump through untold hoops in order to make it work properly. And even when it does, what is that video quality and how does it look on a 2" screen? Have you noticed how many times the Fuze is described on this forum as a POS because of this or other unrealistic expectations?

There are also cameras on cell phones. Yes, they will capture an image, but exactly how good is that image? From what I’ve seen, not much. Can the current crop of popular SUV’s compete off-road with a dedicated 4-wheel drive Jeep, for example? They might get you up a muddy road without getting stuck, but that’s about it. (And I don’t want to hear any flames citing, “My Honda CRV got me up the Pike’s Peak Hill-Climb Challenge”! It’s only an example, OK? :wink: )

You certainly are entitled to your opinion and No, you do not “have to take every other suggestion into account before you can make your own.” I feel though that this “brilliant idea” would be better served in a completely different device and think the majority of Fuze owners (and potential owners) agree and would not use it or benefit from it.

I’m not a musician, but my old mp3 player of another brand has this feature and I actually use it quite often to repeat a section of a song that I like. Just sayin’. :smiley: