If SanDisk reps are reading this, please consider the following firmware updates:

Ok, I think I’ve got the tagging down pat. I’m using Mp3tag

Thankfully, it works with Linux under WINE and It’s pretty easy to use once you figure out how to operate it. Here’s the protocol I have to follow, though YMMV depending on what your ripper is doing etc… :

Open Mp3tag, first go to options (denoted by tools icon) In the “Tags” portion of the drop down list, select “Mpeg”

For “Read” I have APE unchecked, but the other two checked. Under “write” I have only ID3v2 checked, followed by ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1 checked.

Under “Remove” I have ID3v2 checked. Basically, this will both strip and replace the current tags, which is what works for me.

Next, when I’m finished ripping/encoding, I select the “change directory” icon, because at this point the previous folder I was working with will show up so that just lets me go to a new directory. Once the directory is selected and the album is there, I select “edit” from the main menu bar on top, then “select all” (wish there was an icon for this instead).

Now that all files are selected, I find it utterly instrumental to hit the “auto numbering wizard” icon and it goes like this:

Begin at tracknumber 1

unticked

ticked

ticked

Hit ok, and it will do its thing, and you’re done with that part. Now for the last step, I hit “tag filename” which is the first icon on the fourth set of icons from the left, and that does it, all finished. You can also tag multiple directories at the same time like this, all you have to do is “add directory”.

The only caveat is to make sure that whatever id info you want has been included from the start in the ripping/encoding process, else it has nothing to work with I guess. What I’m trying to accomplish now is, getting the albums to list in alpha numeric order by trying to add a number before the album names (1-5 etc) so that my albums can play in the order they were made (in the studio. I’m @nal  like that) So if anybody figures out how to do this (if you try this program) please let me know !

D.

wow, you can’t say @nal ! ?  

Message Edited by thespot on 06-05-2008 08:40 AM

Another thing I forgot to mention in my original post is that when I go to view the song’s title in the now playing mode, it starts scrolling the song’s artist first, rather than the song’s title (when it is too long to fit the screen it slowly scrolls). This is a minor gripe but I’d rather see the title instead of the artist.

@corilof wrote:

Winamp is the software I use to tag my songs.  If I check the file info, the ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags are bothing showing the correct information (well the ID3v1 tag is often cut off due to its limited size).  So how come it’s not showing up correctly on my Fuze?

That’s really odd - Winamp is what I used to verify my tags! I was seeing the same thing - the v1 song name tag was truncated, the v2 song tag was fine. I use MSC mode so I can check/fix tags on the Fuze itself, which is essentially what you’re doing.

Do you have the latest firmware? 

@bdb wrote:

@corilof wrote:

Winamp is the software I use to tag my songs.  If I check the file info, the ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags are bothing showing the correct information (well the ID3v1 tag is often cut off due to its limited size).  So how come it’s not showing up correctly on my Fuze?

That’s really odd - Winamp is what I used to verify my tags! I was seeing the same thing - the v1 song name tag was truncated, the v2 song tag was fine. I use MSC mode so I can check/fix tags on the Fuze itself, which is essentially what you’re doing.

Do you have the latest firmware? 

I have the latest firmware.

In winamp, do you have information in your ID3v1 tags, or only the ID3v2 tags?  I have information in both, so maybe it’s just reading the v1, I’m going to try to delete all the v1 tags and maybe then the Fuze will read the v2 information and display that. 

@cupooterluvr wrote:
Another thing I forgot to mention in my original post is that when I go to view the song’s title in the now playing mode, it starts scrolling the song’s artist first, rather than the song’s title (when it is too long to fit the screen it slowly scrolls). This is a minor gripe but I’d rather see the title instead of the artist.

My fuze “randomly” scrolls either (or the album name if that one is too long).  I’m not sure how it decides which one to scroll, but sometimes I look at and the Artist name is scrolling, and sometimes it’ll be the song title. 

They could make it so that it would scroll all of them?  Or would that just look weird?

Message Edited by Corilof on 06-05-2008 02:15 PM

Well I suppose that having them all scroll at the same time would solve the problem of deciding which one to scroll… lol

@corilof wrote:

In winamp, do you have information in your ID3v1 tags, or only the ID3v2 tags?  I have information in both, so maybe it’s just reading the v1, I’m going to try to delete all the v1 tags and maybe then the Fuze will read the v2 information and display that.

The song I looked at had both. That’s how I could tell that the v1 tag was truncated and the v2 tag wasn’t. If the song only had the v2 tag, the v1 tag should be empty (in Winamp, at least).

@bdb wrote:

@corilof wrote:

The song I looked at had both. That’s how I could tell that the v1 tag was truncated and the v2 tag wasn’t. If the song only had the v2 tag, the v1 tag should be empty (in Winamp, at least).

Weird, my song titles are still cut off when displayed on my Fuze…

I even ran ID3kill on all my songs to remove all ID3v1 tags.  So all that’s left are the ID3v2 tags that can display the full names, yet my fuze still doesn’t do it.  It still cuts it off as if it were showing ID3v1…   I have no idea why it’s doing that.

I use Winamp to tag my songs, and I transfer them by copying and pasting (using MSC mode).  I have the latest firmware installed.
Anyone have any idea?

Corilof wrote: 

My fuze “randomly” scrolls either (or the album name if that one is too long).  I’m not sure how it decides which one to scroll, but sometimes I look at and the Artist name is scrolling, and sometimes it’ll be the song title. 

They could make it so that it would scroll all of them?  Or would that just look weird?

It actually scrolls all three lines one after the other.  Which isn’t really ideal as it takes longer to scroll all three than a typical backlight time allows.

Might be better to scroll all three at the same time, but that might be confusing to look at.

Another thing I would like to see is a solid “resume” button at the top of the audiobook. I generally forget which part of the audiobook i’m on, and when there’s 300 parts (as in Eldest) it’s kind of a burden to scroll through each one, selecting them all until I find where I left off.

I’m sure this has been mentioned already (I didn’t read all these posts), but I would like to see more customization options with the Fuze. Things like wallpaper, more color choices, etc. Even without those, the Fuze is still a great player.

Would also appreciate in future firmware updates:  A “backlight always on” option.

Other type updates: A screen protector. The ‘travel kit’ leather case seems to PUT scratches and scuffs on the screen and player.

A user-replaceable battery in future players would also be most appreciated.

Thank you for considering.