How to Enable BitLocker Hardware Encryption with SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD V2

Hi,

I purchased SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD V2 (SDSSDE61-2T00) which from what I understand has Hardware Encryption, but for some reason I am not able to set it up on Windows 11 Pro. Every time I am trying to enable BitLocker it gets me into software mode.

My laptop has Intel’s 11th generation i7 CPU with TPM 2.0 module enabled and I made sure that all relevant BIOS settings like secure boot etc. properly set, but still no luck. Western Digital Dashboard shows that security is active and latest firmware is installed.

What am I doing wrong? Any advise?

Thanks

Hi @Hayk,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the SD Technical Support team for best assistance and troubleshooting:https://kb.sandisk.com/app/ask

Hi @Keerti_01,

No I didn’t, as I wasn’t sure if there is something wrong with my set up or the drive. So, you think that Windows 11 should use on board hardware with my drive?

Thanks

Have you checked if your Windows 11 Pro version supports hardware encryption for external drives? It’s possible that your version of Windows does not support it. Additionally, make sure that your SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD V2 is connected directly to your computer’s USB port, and not through a USB hub.

Hi. Not sure how to check, but I have Windows 11 Pro with all the latest updates along with TPM hardware. But I am not sure how check if it supports encryption for external drives? In regards to connection, I connected it directly to USB-C on my laptop. I have 2 ports and I tried both, same result - software encryption.

First of all make sure that your Windows 11 Pro is up to date. Because Microsoft regularly releases updates that may include bug fixes or security improvements that could resolve the issue. Also Check your BIOS settings. Make sure that your BIOS is up to date and that the TPM 2.0 module is enabled.

Hi. I have all the latest updates both for Windows 11 Pro as well as BIOS. Tried all the recommended settings. Just wondering, were you successful with setting up your SanDisk drive with hardware encryption?

Ensure that your SSD is connected properly to your computer and recognized by Windows. If it’s not being detected, try using a different USB port or cable to rule out any connection issues.
after this make sure that you have the necessary administrative privileges to enable BitLocker on your system. Only administrators can enable BitLocker on Windows. If you’re using an account without administrative rights, try logging in with an administrator account.

You will need to enable Secure Boot and TPM in your BIOS settings. The exact steps for doing this will vary depending on your computer’s manufacturer.

Ensure that you’re using the correct edition of Windows 11 Pro that supports BitLocker encryption. BitLocker hardware encryption is only available in certain editions of Windows, so verify that your version supports this feature.

Setting up a SanDisk drive with hardware encryption typically involves following the manufacturer’s instructions provided with the drive. This may include installing any necessary software or drivers, enabling encryption features in the drive’s settings, and setting up a password or encryption key.

If you’ve updated your Windows 11 Pro and BIOS to the latest versions and followed the recommended settings but are still experiencing issues with setting up hardware encryption on your SanDisk drive, you may want to check the drive’s user manual or contact SanDisk’s customer support for further assistance.