How can I get music for free?

I am sorry if this has been asked and answered before - maybe someone can point me to the thread.

I am new to owning an MP3 player and have a Sansa Fuze.  So far, I know how to listen to the radio on it, I’ve ripped all my CD’s onto Windows Media Player and Synced them onto my MP3. 

Now I want some new songs.  My kids all have Itunes and Ipods…I’ve got the Sansa Fuze - help!!

Try this thread on the “Off Topic discussions” board.

Message Edited by TomJensen on 05-03-2010 06:27 PM

There’s of course also the option of taking music lessons and record yourself!

Depending on where you live, your local library may loan out CD’s. The ones (several braches and 2 different systems, county & city) near me have very large and diverse collections.

I’ve heard it may be possible to record/convert these to .mp3 format. But this may just be an ‘urban legend’.

Depending on where you live, your local library may loan out CD’s. The ones (several branches and 2 different systems, county & city) near me have very large and diverse collections.

I’ve heard it may be possible to record/convert these to .mp3 format. But this may just be an ‘urban legend’.

Depending on where you live, your local library may loan out CD’s. The ones (several branches and 2 different systems, county & city) near me have very large and diverse collections.

I’ve heard it may be possible to record/convert these to .mp3 format. But this may just be an ‘urban legend’. :wink:

You got to be kidding, DiamondGal.  I ask my nieces and they spill out at least a half a dozen sites where they download music for free!  They seem to find them like ants to a sugar cube.  Seriously, I encourage them not to do it because not only are most sites illegal, their programs crash and put God knows what into your computer.  And this file sharing business with the likes of Limewire is dangerous.  They gobble up your computer bandwidth, and can seriously damage your computer with very little recourse from the user.  So, I’m the uncle who ends up fixing their computers.  So I tell them, don’t do it! (they do it anyway)  My last known legal music download site was Imeem.  But, unfortunately, they’ve been sold to MySpace.   There are also a bunch of independent storage sites where individuals put their own music.  Search the web – but be careful.  I personally don’t think a few free music downloads are worth the risk of crashing or damaging your computer.  I occasionally buy songs from Amazon when I remember that I really like, or one that is hard to find.   And since I’m older, the library in head is much bigger than any list I can ever hope to fill in my computer anyway.  It would cost $$$$$.   There is one alternative I like from the Sansa.  I can listen to an FM station and actually record the song I like in .wav (excellent sound quality).  Of course, sometimes you loose a bit of the lead-in.  Small sacrifice for free music.  Nothing is free in this world.  Try rebuilding a crashed computer and then decide whether or not free music is free.

ggin1

You got to be kidding, DiamondGal.  I ask my nieces and they spill out at least a half a dozen sites where they download music for free!  They seem to find them like ants to a sugar cube.  Seriously, I encourage them not to do it because not only are most sites illegal, their programs crash and put God knows what into your computer.  And this file sharing business with the likes of Limewire is dangerous.  They gobble up your computer bandwidth, and can seriously damage your computer with very little recourse from the user.  So, I’m the uncle who ends up fixing their computers.  So I tell them, don’t do it! (they do it anyway)  My last known legal music download site was Imeem.  But, unfortunately, they’ve been sold to MySpace.   There are also a bunch of independent storage sites where individuals put their own music.  Search the web – but be careful.  I personally don’t think a few free music downloads are worth the risk of crashing or damaging your computer.  I occasionally buy songs from Amazon.com when I remember one I really like or one that’s really hard to find.   And since I’m older, the library in my head is much bigger than any list I can ever hope to fill in my computer anyway.  It would cost $$$$$.   There is one alternative I like from the Sansa.  I can listen to an FM station and actually record the song I like in .wav (excellent sound quality).  Of course, sometimes you loose a bit of the lead-in.  Small sacrifice for free music.  Nothing is free in this world.  Try rebuilding a crashed computer and then decide whether or not free music is free.  Oh, another alternative and quite legal, is to download music videos from YouTube.  You can either put the video (MP4) in your Sansa Fuze via SMC, or convert the MP4 to MP3 or FLAC.  And there you have it, free music and free video!

ggin1

Message Edited by ggin1 on 02-08-2010 02:18 PM

Message Edited by ggin1 on 02-08-2010 02:19 PM

Message Edited by ggin1 on 02-08-2010 02:20 PM

Message Edited by ggin1 on 02-08-2010 02:25 PM

Hype Machine

has links to songs people are talking about on blogs.

Clink on links to the blogs and you’ll find lots of other music.

Don’t bother with file-sharing sites like Limewire. It is dangerous.  But if you Google an album you’re looking for and download, --i.e. “album i’m looking for” download in the Google box–you might well find a free link to it. 

You might also want to investigate a little something called Bittorrent if you are technically adept. 

Anything–ANYTHING–you get from the web should be virus-checked. 

torrents are also a cool thing to look in to…but its illegal… so uh…DONT look in to torrents for full cd downloads. 

@concept wrote:
torrents are also a cool thing to look in to… but its illegal… so uh…DONT look in to torrents for full cd downloads. 

Torrents are not necessarily illegal…See my response to the subject in the above mentioned thread:

People get confused all of the time with the word “Torrent”.  Torrent’s per se are not illegal.  A torrent is a delivery system, that’s all.  Just like CB said, it’s the content contained within the torrent, where the problem lies.  If the content was obtained without permission from the copyright holder, it is indeed illegal.

With that said, there are plenty of legal torrents.  Take for example the last 2 releases from the group ‘Nine Inch Nails’ (Ghosts I-IV and The Slip) were legally trasmitted over the internet via torrents.

But, unfortunately, there is far more illegal content being shared via torrents than legal; so the word ‘torrent’ gets a black eye.

fuze_owner-GB wrote:

@concept wrote:
torrents are also a cool thing to look in to… but its illegal… so uh…DONT look in to torrents for full cd downloads. 

Torrents are not necessarily illegal…See my response to the subject in the above mentioned thread:

People get confused all of the time with the word “Torrent”.  Torrent’s per se are not illegal.  A torrent is a delivery system, that’s all.  Just like CB said, it’s the content contained within the torrent, where the problem lies.  If the content was obtained without permission from the copyright holder, it is indeed illegal.

With that said, there are plenty of legal torrents.  Take for example the last 2 releases from the group ‘Nine Inch Nails’ (Ghosts I-IV and The Slip) were legally trasmitted over the internet via torrents.

But, unfortunately, there is far more illegal content being shared via torrents than legal; so the word ‘torrent’ gets a black eye.

To add on to what GB said, there are sites like Legaltorrents.com and Frostclick.com where you can get torrents that are completely legal. Now you might not find music by the big name bands you hear on the radio but dont let that stop you from checking it out, there are some amazing bands out there that license their music for free and you would never hear them on the radio.