Get a Netbook Instead

@marvin_martian wrote:

My Clip+, even in MSC mode, shows up nicely in the Devices and Printers menu of Windows 7 Ultimate x64 with its own icon and everything. Most of the netbooks only come with the Win 7 Starter and 1GB RAM, but if you swapped out the included 1GB RAM stick for a 2GB, you could easily upgrade to a 32-bit Win 7. And if you went for the 7 Pro or Ultimate, that would give you the option of virtual XP mode for compatibility with all your old programs…(although I haven’t needed to use it ). Here’s a snip from my Devices & Printers page…

Just for clarification, the XP compatibity pack doesn’t come with Ultimate 7; you have to download it after the install…Similar to Microsoft’s mail program that isn’t part of 7 out of the box either.

fuze_owner-GB wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

My Clip+, even in MSC mode, shows up nicely in the Devices and Printers menu of Windows 7 Ultimate x64 with its own icon and everything. Most of the netbooks only come with the Win 7 Starter and 1GB RAM, but if you swapped out the included 1GB RAM stick for a 2GB, you could easily upgrade to a 32-bit Win 7. And if you went for the 7 Pro or Ultimate, that would give you the option of virtual XP mode for compatibility with all your old programs…(although I haven’t needed to use it ). Here’s a snip from my Devices & Printers page…

Just for clarification, the XP compatibity pack doesn’t come with Ultimate 7; you have to download it after the install…Similar to Microsoft’s mail program that isn’t part of 7 out of the box either.

I did not know that. I forget sometimes that this computer was up and running with 7 for about 2 months before I got it, and some things were set up for me ahead of time, like the extra codec pack.

It looks like I’ll be going down the Win 7 progression as you mention: Starter, more memory, then upgrade to XP.

Wait a minute!  Doesn’t something sound backwards here?  Hehe.  Indeed, having the XP compatibility option is an absolute must for “all things Sansa”.  I have contacted HP for a new toy.  I told them I am not planning on trading in my HP75, but I sure would love a new HP11C scientific, the Rolls Royce of pocket scientific RPN calculators.  Today, most folks know the financial version of the 11.  Once you feel that keyboard, there is no compromise.

The HP Mini series has a super cool USB hub that looks promising.

I am happy in the prospect that I can chat here while my three daughters grap the PCs.

Now, back to my disastre du jour, building a BartPE disk to recover a dead workshop PC.  Have I told you how using regedit is like joining the CIA?  Once you get the hang of it, you just can’t leave.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

neutron_bob wrote:

It looks like I’ll be going down the Win 7 progression as you mention: Starter, more memory, then upgrade to XP.

Wait a minute!  Doesn’t something sound backwards here?  Hehe.  Indeed, having the XP compatibility option is an absolute must for “all things Sansa”.   I have contacted HP for a new toy.  I told them I am not planning on trading in my HP75, but I sure would love a new HP11C scientific, the Rolls Royce of pocket scientific RPN calculators.  Today, most folks know the financial version of the 11.  Once you feel that keyboard, there is no compromise.

The HP Mini series has a super cool USB hub that looks promising.

I am happy in the prospect that I can chat here while my three daughters grap the PCs.

Now, back to my disastre du jour, building a BartPE disk to recover a dead workshop PC.  Have I told you how using regedit is like joining the CIA?  Once you get the hang of it, you just can’t leave.

When you say “a must for all things Sansa”, do refer to the old e200’s, or the dreaded SMC? For that matter, my Fuze was gone for a few months before I made the upgrade, so I can’t say how one of them may work…but the Clip+, I just plugged it in, and voila! There was the icon on my screen. In fact, upon first seeing it, I wondered if it was in Auto-Defect mode, because the icon was sharp and individualized like my Sony.

My Samsung, on the other hand, even when I tried it in MTP mode, the icon was never like the other two…it was clearly a DAP, but not obviously a Q2…which made me wonder if it was because it pre-dated Win 7’s official release. 

As to your regedit tinkering, that is above my pay grade, and knowledgebase.:wink:

We now have Win 7 on all our machines and the following work perfectly with that operating system:

Fuze V1

Original Clip

Clip+

Zune 120

Cowon D2+

Cowon iAudio 7

Archos Internet Tablet 5

And this is without the XP compatibility pack installed.

Yeah, the scenario is pretty simple.  My wee beasties are parked in front of the computers, and I want to test something out that I find here.  Take a playlister for example, or the Video4Fuze application.  I can run a sample while I sit with my coffee and netbook.  As most current users are in the XP environment, compatibilities are less of a problem.

If I’m running with the latest and greatest, I might not run into the same stumbling blocks.  I have machines dedicated to Win2000 and 98 /98se as well, plus NT and even Me.  Glutton for punishment?  You bet.  Heck, I even have CP/M and ZCPR3 available on the Kaypro 10.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

Got my iPad Friday and it is categorically a P.O.S. It serves its purpose for me which is as an electronic Sketch pad. The only problem in that function is that its a PITA to transfer the work I do on the PAD to another computer to finish off the work Im doing. Apple will not get a good review from me.

Also Bob there is no FCC Number That I can see but it says FCC pending. I am told this is a Prototype. Whatever that means. 

Interesting.  I haven’t had hardly any compatibility issues with Win 7.  Only an ancient printer, that pre-dated Win 95 didn’t have current drivers for Win 7.  Other than that, everything switched seemlessly to the new operating system.  I’m very pleased with the results and I’m glad I made the switch.

Cool!  I read that they were going to laser etch the production run as soon as type acceptance is official.  As yours has none, it’s “proof of the pudding”, you have a genuine prototype device.  Well, pre-release, anyway.  It will be quite interesting as users figure out how to make the iPad work properly.

Apple kind of painted themselves into a corner with the machine.  I do NOT like the fact that connectivity requires wee adaptors.  How tough is it to integrate a proper USB bus?  Apple is a closed universe of sorts, and they aspire to keep it that way.  I would have engineered the iPad along a different tack, as it encompasses a much larger user base.  Apple is most likely thinking along the same path as the iPod.

Conversionbox wrote:

Got my iPad Friday and it is categorically a P.O.S. It serves its purpose for me which is as an electronic Sketch pad. The only problem in that function is that its a PITA to transfer the work I do on the PAD to another computer to finish off the work Im doing. Apple will not get a good review from me.

Also Bob there is no FCC Number That I can see but it says FCC pending. I am told this is a Prototype. Whatever that means. 

Wow, that bad? You’re already accustomed to the Apple environment, so I thought maybe it would work for you.

Man!  Digging through my stacks of installation and OS discs, I have located one of the OE WinXP disks for the HPs.  The workshop unit I’m repairing is a retrofitted Dell (gotta love it, Vista decals, factory retrofitted to WinXP).

Know that nagging feeling?  I left the OE disk right on top of the (Dell) PC as I left last night. I’ll give it a shot with the source files from the HP release (booting from a rescue CD built this morning), all I need do is fix a registry entry.  I might have to pick up the Dell disk, but my fingers are crossed.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

@conversionbox wrote:

It serves its purpose for me which is as an electronic Sketch pad.

The only problem in that function is that its a PITA to transfer the work I do on the PAD to another computer to finish off the work Im doing. 

I had the same problem

Etch a Sketch image CC

Seriously, good to hear some real user feedback.

Conversionbox wrote:

Got my iPad Friday and it is categorically a P.O.S.

Maybe Apple’s new logo should be

:smileyvery-happy:

neutron_bob wrote:

Cool!  I read that they were going to laser etch the production run as soon as type acceptance is official.  As yours has none, it’s “proof of the pudding”, you have a genuine prototype device.  Well, pre-release, anyway.  It will be quite interesting as users figure out how to make the iPad work properly.

Apple kind of painted themselves into a corner with the machine.  I do NOT like the fact that connectivity requires wee adaptors.  How tough is it to integrate a proper USB bus?  Apple is a closed universe of sorts, and they aspire to keep it that way.  I would have engineered the iPad along a different tack, as it encompasses a much larger user base.  Apple is most likely thinking along the same path as the iPod.

Bob I havent tried any adaptations or trying to hook up USB. I dont suspect it would be too tricky but the problem is you have to wait for Apple to make something you can do it with or wire it yourself at this point. I would guess that the  production line will have some proper ports for somthing. I havent had a lot of time with it so Ill let you know more as it develops.

BTW It does look AWESOME! 

donp wrote:

I had the same problem

Etch a Sketch image CC

Seriously, good to hear some real user feedback.

I think this more accurately captures the true spirit, don’t you?

Apple does have a set of special adaptors that plug in to the docking port at the iPad’s base side.  These look amost identical to the ones they’ve produced in the past, the white plastic ones.  Oh, and yes, it’s one single port.

There’s plenty of edge “real estate” on the iPad, pity it wasn’t taken advantage of.

Bob  :cry:

neutron_bob wrote:

Apple does have a set of special adaptors that plug in to the docking port at the iPad’s base side.  These look amost identical to the ones they’ve produced in the past, the white plastic ones.  Oh, and yes, it’s one single port.

There’s plenty of edge “real estate” on the iPad, pity it wasn’t taken advantage of.

Bob  :cry:

Ive seen them but they werent made available. 

So, I got a Netbook instead.  A really gnarly cool one too, an HP Mini 210, and yes it is running Windows 7.  This is a great way for me to tinker with the new environment at home.

I have several USB ports available, as well as a very cool desktop USB hub that includes audio and another Ethernet port.  Looks like a little turret, very nice industrial design.

Plugging in my Sansa toys, Windows 7 has a new and smooth device interface, with device management handled in a more streamlined fashion than Windows XP does.  The big question?  Yes, I am playing with the new Windows Media Player.  Yes, the interface is kludgy, but I think of it as Microsoft’s little way of letting me know I’m still running WIndows.

Currently, I’m on the forum using something completely new, the Splashtop browser.  The HP Mini is equipped with Splashtop, called InstantWeb when looking for it in the Win7 environment, incidentally.  The Mini is atomic fast when  running Splashtop, booting in two or three seconds after opening the machine.

For more involved work, when I’ll need to use the familiar Windows environment, it takes a minute or two to switch to Windows 7.

Good stuff!!

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

So, I got a Netbook instead.  A really gnarly cool one too, an HP Mini 210, and yes it is running Windows 7.  This is a great way for me to tinker with the new environment at home.

I have several USB ports available, as well as a very cool desktop USB hub that includes audio and another Ethernet port.  Looks like a little turret, very nice industrial design.

Plugging in my Sansa toys, Windows 7 has a new and smooth device interface, with device management handled in a more streamlined fashion than Windows XP does.  The big question?  Yes, I am playing with the new Windows Media Player.  Yes, the interface is kludgy, but I think of it as Microsoft’s little way of letting me know I’m still running WIndows.

Currently, I’m on the forum using something completely new, the Splashtop browser.  The HP Mini is equipped with Splashtop, called InstantWeb when looking for it in the Win7 environment, incidentally.  The Mini is atomic fast when  running Splashtop, booting in two or three seconds after opening the machine.

For more involved work, when I’ll need to use the familiar Windows environment, it takes a minute or two to switch to Windows 7.

Good stuff!!

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Is that the Windows 7 Starter? And if so, any plans to upgrade the RAM, and then the version of 7 that’s installed?