Get a Netbook Instead

Apple laugned their iPad today.  Here is an article about it.   Here is another article about how the stock when down when it was released :smileyvery-happy:

The screen is about the same size as a 10" netbook (a bit smaller), and with a netbook you get a keyboard.

No price on the article, but knowing the fruity company, it will be expensive. 

10" netbooks range from $300-$400 unless you go through a phone/internet company.  My widescreen 10" was only $300 (marked down and works great).  Has 3 USB ports, perfect for anything I need to use, like my SanDisk Fuze, which does work on the Netbook.  And no fruity company I have to deal with.

Much potential for jokes with the name of the device, too.:smileyvery-happy:

I ordered mine today. I want one. Make fun of me if you want but its gonna be an invaluable asset to my small business.

That’s okay, not towards you (just other users… just kidding).  I thought (for a moment) of the ipod touch because of the PDF viewing capabilities.  My cell phone doesn’t have that.  Although I did see the Env Touch cell phone has a Document Viewer, so that may be my next phone… Droids look really nice, although they are still too expensive for me.  I have until the fall unless I give in (I just got an e-mail with phones on it).  Sometimes my netbook is just too much to carry with me.  Although I wouldn’t trade it just yet.

@marvin_martian wrote:

Some jokes just write themselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFNQE_TzQNI

Message Edited by gwk1967 on 01-27-2010 05:18 PM

If I wanted a “pad” that badly I would just buy one of those laptops with a swivel screen.

*swivel* It’s a fully finctional laptop. *swivel*  It’s a pad. *swivel* It’s a laptop.

I’ve read posts where people have made their laptop/netbook/notebook in to swivel tablets.  Lots of work and you have to know what you’re doing, but doable.  I’m not doing it though…

gwk1967 wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

Some jokes just write themselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFNQE_TzQNI

Message Edited by gwk1967 on 01-27-2010 05:18 PM

Just found this one in another forum today…

“Can I get the ‘period tracker’ app for free?”

" Is leakage protection included in Apple’s warranty?" 

“Did the prototype come with a belt?”

“Is there a scented model for days when my data doesn’t feel so fresh?”

“Will iffy Wi-Fi coverage be called iSpotting?”

“Can I say, ‘That chick is on her iPad’ and not be called a pig?”

“iPads are for eighth-graders. I’m holding out for the iTampon.”

I’m sure there’ll be more to follow. :stuck_out_tongue:

“Can I get the ‘period tracker’ app for free?”

" Is leakage protection included in Apple’s warranty?" 

“Did the prototype come with a belt?”

“Is there a scented model for days when my data doesn’t feel so fresh?”

“Will iffy Wi-Fi coverage be called iSpotting?”

“Can I say, ‘That chick is on her iPad’ and not be called a pig?”

“iPads are for eighth-graders. I’m holding out for the iTampon.”

No doubt there’ll be more to follow. :stuck_out_tongue:

I see it (the iPad) comes with a 10 hour-rated *gasp* non-user replaceable lithium battery too! :dizzy_face:

Oh, the humanity!

Tapeworm wrote:

I see it (the iPad) comes with a 10 hour-rated *gasp* non-user replaceable lithium battery too! :dizzy_face:

Oh, the humanity!

Is there an iGenerator offered to recharge it?:stuck_out_tongue:

iDont know.  The iPad cannot handle Flash, either.  This has the makings of a kludgy Internet experience.

The open iPad screen surface is unprotected.  A netbook makes more sense by the minute, and it will have Sansa compatibility too, with those handy USB ports. One can buy a pair of netbooks at that rate.

Bob   :smileyvery-happy:

neutron_bob wrote:

iDont know.  The iPad cannot handle Flash, either.  This has the makings of a kludgy Internet experience.

Nor can it multi-task. One thing at a time is all it can handle.

neutron_bob wrote:

Nor can it multi-task. One thing at a time is all it can handle. Very limited when compared to current computing standards and consumer demands.

Really Tapey? Come on you are kidding… you must be…

That’s insane!!!

Peregrine wrote:

Really Tapey? Come on you are kidding… you must be…

That’s insane!!!

Tapeworm is correct. If you want to listen to tunes on Pandora, that’s all you can do…unlike a proper computer which would let you do that and something else at the same time.

They added the prices on the first link, from $499 to most expensive model $829 (with WiFi and added 3G).  3G is $180 aditional on any model. :dizzy_face:

I was trying to see because I thought it said it could multitask.  But if not… that’s not good at all.  Even though my netbook has 1gb of RAM, I can listen to music and surf the web and even have word processing program open.  Sometimes two or three websites up (done that).

And with USB ports and a card reader/writer I don’t need more then 1gb internal (4gb flash sticks are around $12 now).

Message Edited by Dalaug234 on 01-29-2010 10:36 AM

It does have a compass though.

That will surely be useful . . . like when you’re lost between Starbucks and you’re lonesing for a latte. :stuck_out_tongue:

It does have a compass though.

That will surely be useful . . . like when you’re lost between Starbucks and you’re jonesing for a latte. :stuck_out_tongue: