Get a Netbook Instead

It does have a built-in compass though. Kinda sounds like the Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle with a compass in the stock little Ralphie wanted for Christmas in "A Christmas Story".

That will surely be useful . . . like when you're lost between Starbucks and you're jonesing for a latte. :stuck_out_tongue:

It does have a built-in compass though. Kinda sounds like the Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle With A Compass In The Stock little Ralphie wanted for Christmas in “A Christmas Story”.

_ That _ sure will be useful . . . like when you’re lost between Starbucks and you’re jonesing for a latte. :stuck_out_tongue:

I think the Stone actually has the edge here . . . when you’ve reached the ultimate frustration level with the device and want to heave it against the wall, you don’t have to worry about user-inflicted damage that would negate your warranty. :stuck_out_tongue:

I got a tweet from someon that said this doesn’t do Skype.  Or have a webcam for skype.  I belive you can do VoIP. 

Just saw this 5 Reasons Why The iPad Fails To Impress.  There are, of course more, but there are 5 here.  They call it the iFlop.  Like that. :wink:

Message Edited by Dalaug234 on 02-02-2010 03:54 PM

Mine should be here in a few days (If all goes well, its being shipped to my parents home and then shipped to me) and should have it up and running as part of my office a few days later. Ill explain its exact use for me at that time.

The iPad is still awaiting FCC type acceptance.  That is going to take a little while.

Bob  :wink:

neutron_bob wrote:

The iPad is still awaiting FCC type acceptance.  That is going to take a little while.

Bob  :wink:

I got a tester. Its not the completed version to my understanding. I will need to upgrade eventually. I got a deal from Apple where I get one of their test models, use it for my needs as a graphic designer and then review it, in exchange it get it at a severely discounted price. 

Cool!  Look on the back, and see if the FCC ID is etched on it with the serial number.  I’m curious.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Conversionbox wrote:

I got a deal from Apple where I get one of their test models, use it for my needs as a graphic designer and then review it, in exchange it get it at a severely discounted price. 

They should be providing it to you for free. Instead they’re selling it to you at cost (or slightly above) and making you think you’re getting a ‘deal’.

‘Marketing’ tricks . . . gotta love 'em. :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s like when stores say “40% off” you know it was at least 60% higher then what it should have been in the first place.  They should have sold it originally at 40% off (I do agree they should make a profit, so I’m not asking for 60% off).  Everyone thinks they’re getting a good deal.  That’s why I rearly buy anything not on sale.  Unless I absolutely need it or know it’s at the discounted price all ready.

On topic:  I didn’t know it wasn’t FCC approved.  That’s intereting.

Tapeworm wrote:

Conversionbox wrote:

I got a deal from Apple where I get one of their test models, use it for my needs as a graphic designer and then review it, in exchange it get it at a severely discounted price. 

They should be providing it to you for free. Instead they’re selling it to you at cost (or slightly above) and making you think you’re getting a ‘deal’.

‘Marketing’ tricks . . . gotta love 'em. :stuck_out_tongue:

“Severely Discounted” Means I pay shipping and handling. I didnt want to sound like a tool by saying I got it free.

Conversionbox wrote:

“Severely Discounted” Means I pay shipping and handling. I didnt want to sound like a tool by saying I got it free.

Well, that’s not a bad deal then. I’d consider that fair.

But, now that you’ve 'fessed up . . .

:smileyvery-happy:

It will be interesting to see how Apple fares with the new device.  Naturally, they’ve set themselves up for harsh criticism, the way Jobs has handled the release, and his comments about Adobe, well, let’s say the way he said it was “telling”.

I would have a slice of humble pie before promoting my product.  If it’s better, the device will grow on its own merits.

The Internet has been abuzz with many projected shortcomings.  Someone should have remembered this book:

It’s good to be the underdog.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

May not be an exact quote, but the gist from Job’s unveiling speech… 

“It works the way you do, you don’t have to bend to the way it works”

Except …

No Flash

No USB

No webcam or any way to attach one.

No multitasking

No audio books from library downloads  or other services that  use Microsoft DRM

You can only buy approved programs, and Apple has a track record of rejecting apps (like Google voice) that would let you do phone text or calls over internet (impacting AT&T’s revenue as Iphone service provider)

@dalaug234 wrote:

On topic:  I didn’t know it wasn’t FCC approved.  That’s intereting.

That’s often a last minute thing.

They also have to make a deal with Fujitsu who filed a trademark on Ipad around 10 years ago, or just plow ahead and ignore the consequences for now (as they did with the Apple trademark) 

But they’re still promoting it and maybe taking advanced orders?

I read you can buy an adaptor (large one) for USB.  Same for a card slot.  Both different adaptors.  So you have to carry those around as well.  Oh, but you can only use one at a time.  You can’t have a card in and USB. 

Here’s some info them. 

ETA:  One thing I forgot.  On my netbook I have Kindle for PC.  I also have it on my work computer.  They sync up.  It was a free download.  I just put free books from Amazon on there to try it out.  I found some sites, for examle, Internet Archive that has a Kindle (beta) and you can put it on the kindle.  If you have 2 places for the Kindle for PC you need to put it on both computers, that will not sync up.  I just checked and the ones I loaded a few months ago are still there.

Message Edited by Dalaug234 on 02-12-2010 11:27 AM

Hewlett-Packard to the rescue.

Perhaps, I should update the trusty HP75:

In the center of this photo, note the magnetic program strips (in their handy storage tube).  This little guy was the coolest thing in the lab.  The strips were zipped through the built in reader (slot visible on the HP75 lower right).  Printers and accessories were connected with the uber cool HPIL serial data cable, which exists today, though bigger, known as USB.

I think it’s time to take the plunge and pick up one of the new HP Mini netbooks.  Big plunge?  Not really- the biggest question is whether the Windows 7 version will work well, versus tried-and-true Windows XP.  I like the way everything Sansa works predictably in the XP environment.

Call me old school.  Well, the thing weighs less than the plastic covers I used to manhandle on these little jobbies:

^Z

neutron_bob wrote:

Perhaps, I should update the trusty HP75:

In the center of this photo, note the magnetic program strips (in their handy storage tube).  This little guy was the coolest thing in the lab.  The strips were zipped through the built in reader (slot visible on the HP75 lower right).  Printers and accessories were connected with the uber cool HPIL serial data cable, which exists today, though bigger, known as USB.

I think it’s time to take the plunge and pick up one of the new HP Mini netbooks.  Big plunge?  Not really- the biggest question is whether the Windows 7 version will work well, versus tried-and-true Windows XP.  I like the way everything Sansa works predictably in the XP environment.

Call me old school.  Well, the thing weighs less than the plastic covers I used to manhandle on these little jobbies:

^Z

My Clip+, even in MSC mode, shows up nicely in the Devices and Printers menu of Windows 7 Ultimate x64 with its own icon and everything. Most of the netbooks only come with the Win 7 Starter and 1GB RAM, but if you swapped out the included 1GB RAM stick for a 2GB, you could easily upgrade to a 32-bit Win 7. And if you went for the 7 Pro or Ultimate, that would give you the option of virtual XP mode for compatibility with all your old programs…(although I haven’t needed to use it ). Here’s a snip from my Devices & Printers page…

@neutron_bob wrote:

^Z

Looks like the 75 MB disks I used to back up daily.  You could get one of those washing machine size drives for only about $30,000.

Just think, it would hold a whole album of mp3 files, but might not be able to read fast enough for real time playback (nor could the computer attached to it play back in RT.)