Fuze+ Reviews

CNET

PC Magazine

San Francisco Gate

Twice

These aren’t reviews.

They’re PR crap.

A *real* review will come when sites like AnythingButIpod or DAPReview publish their analyses.

Miss that morning coffee?

Perhaps, one must look closely at the etymology of “review”.  I think of a review as a summary, a synopsis, a first look.  In popular vernacular, perhaps “critique” would be a better word?

The Fuze+ just arrived.

See, we left some at the bar for Gizmodo to find.  Even played the role of a lively group of Sansa guys, with one in the infamous Lil Monsta suit too, acting boisterous and unruly.  I guess they were afraid, after looking around the club.  There were two guys in the corner booth that looked suspiciously like FBI agents.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

@roj wrote:

These aren’t reviews.

 

They’re PR crap.

 

A *real* review will come when sites like AnythingButIpod or DAPReview publish their analyses.

Always so upbeat & positive, aren’t we?

Actually I don’t drink coffee. :slight_smile:

I am however tired of psuedo-reviews and psuedo-reviewers masquerading as the real deal, especially since I’ve written several myself.  A review establishes detailed criterai for the context, in which it is framed, analyzes the item in question is detail and actually provides more than typical marketing fluff to the reader.  It’s usually several pages long instead of a quick blurb that essentially is a regurgitated press release.

YMMV.

And my statement stands - when sites like the ones I mentioned turn in REAL reviews that fit the criteris described above, then they’ll be worth more than the download bytes it took to observe them.

As to the fact that the Fuze+ is new, that’s an excuse.  An effective PR campaign would have seeded the unit to the relevant and credible review sites *before* launch so that their efforts would complement the launch.

Sorry to frame it in a logical perspective…

@roj wrote:

Actually I don’t drink coffee. :slight_smile:

 

I am however tired of psuedo-reviews and psuedo-reviewers masquerading as the real deal, especially since I’ve written several myself.  A review establishes detailed criterai for the context, in which it is framed, analyzes the item in question is detail and actually provides more than typical marketing fluff to the reader.  It’s usually several pages long instead of a quick blurb that essentially is a regurgitated press release.

 

YMMV.

 

And my statement stands - when sites like the ones I mentioned turn in REAL reviews that fit the criteris described above, then they’ll be worth more than the download bytes it took to observe them.

 

As to the fact that the Fuze+ is new, that’s an excuse.  An effective PR campaign would have seeded the unit to the relevant and credible review sites *before* launch so that their efforts would complement the launch.

 

Sorry to frame it in a logical perspective…

Logic on the internetz? What are you thinking? They don’t go together!:wink:

All kidding aside, I too am curious to read some reviews.

Donald Bell’s video summary on c|net isn’t what I’d call a simple fluff piece.  He demonstrates the physical features of the new Fuze+, giving comments about the new machine.  They promise a more thorough review soon.

I wouldn’t call that a cheesy piece, in the very least.  It’s a great first look.

Looking at the different screen next to the original Fuze was a nice touch.

No, they didn’t connect it using the oxygen-free braided hand made headphone cable and compare its sonic niceties against a Pierre Lurne Audiomeca J1 with a VanDenHul modified Virtuoso Talisman cartridge, or post response curves ad infinitum, complaining about the clash of the blue case against the rosewood desktop, but the piece was fine.

I’m sure some real-world comparisons will appear here, as listeners compare the new guy against their current Sansas.

I am happy to see SanDisk unveiling a new device, especially one that has promise of bettering the View  as a handy mid-sized player at a decent price.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

@neutron_bob wrote:

Donald Bell’s video summary on c|net isn’t what I’d call a simple fluff piece.  He demonstrates the physical features of the new Fuze+, giving comments about the new machine.  They promise a more thorough review soon.

 

I wouldn’t call that a cheesy piece, in the very least.  It’s a great first look.

 

Looking at the different screen next to the original Fuze was a nice touch.

 

No, they didn’t connect it using the oxygen-free braided hand made headphone cable and compare its sonic niceties against a Pierre Lurne Audiomeca J1 with a VanDenHul modified Virtuoso Talisman cartridge, or post response curves ad infinitum, complaining about the clash of the blue case against the rosewood desktop, but the piece was fine.

 

I’m sure some real-world comparisons will appear here, as listeners compare the new guy against their current Sansas.

 

I am happy to see SanDisk unveiling a new device, especially one that has promise of bettering the View  as a handy mid-sized player at a decent price.

 

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

I would hope that their aim was higher than just bettering the View!:stuck_out_tongue:

Is it me or is the Sansa Fuze+ difficult to use. The touch screen doesn’t respond properly, the player turns off during play, it doesn’t always lock, and it seems impossible for the player to just play all the dowloaded songs. By the way, who came up with the music options that has us needing to rate the bloody song? It wouldn’t be on the player if I didn’y like it. I just want the player to play all my downloaded songs without having to go through all this unnecessary crap. I should have waited for the bugs to be found and removed. My player is going back if they can’t come up with a better alternative.

@barrio wrote:

By the way, who came up with the music options that has us needing to rate the bloody song?

Unless something has changed with the Fuze+, ratings are optional. Some people like to use them, others don’t. You don’t have to if you don’t want to.

@barrio wrote:

By the way, who came up with the music options that has us needing to rate the bloody song?

Unless something has changed with the Fuze+, ratings are optional. Some people like to use them, others don’t. You don’t have to if you don’t want to.

On the Fuze ratings are optional. I think having song ratings is a good idea. Unfortunately on my Fuze the song ratings disappeared after a while. I didn’t try using song ratings after that. Was that fixed in a firmware update?

Does the Fuze now retain song ratings?

Very few players collect playcount data. I think this would be valuable to have, especially for someone with a very large music collection that can’t fit on his player. Having playcount data makes it easy to decide which songs to delete from the player to make room for other songs.

@neutron_bob wrote:

No, they didn’t connect it using the oxygen-free braided hand made headphone cable and compare its sonic niceties against a Pierre Lurne Audiomeca J1 with a VanDenHul modified Virtuoso Talisman cartridge, or post response curves ad infinitum, complaining about the clash of the blue case against the rosewood desktop, but the piece was fine.

You BOUGHT those???  LOL!!! (I’m kidding).

However, I have a long history of being pretty particular about sound but I`m no audiophile (those critturs are superstitious idiots who actually DO buy those kinds of cables).  I’m a long-standing music enthusiast who got into audio to support the habit, which is why I fell in love with the Cowon line.  However, I’ve long been looking for a player that has decent sound quality (the Sansas are pretty serviceable although they can’t match a Cowon), have gapless, replaygain and don’t require rubbish llike Windows Media Player or any software to manage them (drag ‘n’ drop will do just fine, thank you).  The original Fuze had all that EXCEPT gapless and Cowon is yet to discover ReaplyGain.  I bought the original Fuze on the strength of an Anythingbutipod review and am largely satisfied.  Now I want to see if the Fuze+ measures up in terms of the audio quality and gapless, hence my desire for something more detailed than a consumer piece.

And no, Mr. Bells expose doesnt cut it.

An epic fail , by CNET’s Donald Bell. He reviews the player, but only with the included earbuds! Jasmine France always tries different earphones when she reviews a player…so shame on you, Donald! http://http://reviews.cnet.com/portable-audio-devices/sandisk-sansa-fuze-mp3/4505-6450_7-34165136.html?tag=rvwBody

“An epic fail , by CNET’s Donald Bell. He reviews the player, but only with the included earbuds! Jasmine France always tries different earphones when she reviews a player…so shame on you, Donald”

That is one of the reasons why I wish players came without earphones, and instead came with a decent case.

Most people already have earphones or headphones, but not a case for the player.

1 Like

@marvin_martian wrote:

An epic fail , by CNET’s Donald Bell. He reviews the player, but only with the included earbuds! Jasmine France always tries different earphones when she reviews a player…so shame on you, Donald! http://http://reviews.cnet.com/portable-audio-devices/sandisk-sansa-fuze-mp3/4505-6450_7-34165136.html?tag=rvwBody

Yeah, the review could have been more in-depth.

Oddly, he also praises a “new” feature that sounds very much like Auto-Detect mode. :dizzy_face:

On my Fuze the only rating I have is Ilke it, or I don’t want to hear that now, and maybe never.  I downloaded 6 Gb of music from the SXSW web site and there was a of of stuff I don’t wish to hear, YMMV of course so I delete as I go along, it just takes a second.

 I put audio books in an audiobook folder I created and made certain they would play consecutively.

I don’t care about folders for music I just put the player on random and repeat.  With 2500 tunes onboard I am always surprised at what I hear.

I agree, I’m a loyal user of older Sandisk MP3 players but this is impossible to use and control.  You mean I can take it back?  Oh I pray I can…  just want to hear my songs in the order that I loaded them.  Maybe cos I’m no longer a teenager.

I think people should read the Fuze+ forum instead of reviews that are out there in the net. I think they would change their mind in minutes if not in seconds. :smiley:
It’s a pity that this good gadget has so many bugs.

I was looking to buy one of these as a good deal in the local tech-store, but when I saw the problem with voice and fm recordings in this forum I changed my mind as I need this player function very much.