Folder --> Build database

I am trying to use an 2 GB SD card with my Clip Sport mp3 player. The card has a VFAT file system on it. I got to the “Folder” screen and press the center button. The player then prompts with “Build database?”. I reply by selecting “Yes”. The player then says, “Refreshing you media”. It then comes back to the “Build database?” prompt. I then hit “No”, and the player says “Empty disk!”.

BTW, my VFAT sd card was formatted on a Linux computer and directories and mp3 files were stored on the card from a linux system. This has worked for me in the past.

Can anyone make an suggestions on what to try?

Jim Anderson

Are you able to format the card for FAT32 and use that with your Linux system?  FAT32 seems to be the most successful formatting for the Clip Sport and Clip Jam.

Thank you for asking!

To the best of my recollection the file system on my micro SD chip is the original file system and the chip came formatted. I do occassionally reformat a chip, but when I do it would almost certainly be in ext4 format.  I can mount the chip on my Linux systems when I mount and view with:

mount -t vfat …

The music on the chip was copied from my Linux system.

I assume vfat is equivalent to FAT32, but I cannot gaurantee that as a fact.

Jim A.

Hopefully by now you have resolved your build database problem?  If not, here are two more suggestions. 

1.  Use the player’s system menu command Format.  Then select the external memory card.  This process will format the card with the most appropriate file structure for the player.  And it will automatically create all the required sub-folders. 

2.  Maybe re-apply the correct firmware to the root directory of the internal memory of the player.  

Best Wishes

@dfeld2005 wrote:

1.  Use the player’s system menu command Format.  Then select the external memory card.  This process will format the card with the most appropriate file structure for the player.  And it will automatically create all the required sub-folders. 

Excellent idea! A 2GB card is prehistoric by today’s standards. And I believe (although I could be mis-remembering) that they were FAT format. FAT32 came in with the advent of the 4GB card & the SDHC designation, as opposed to simply SD.