Fm Transmitter

i purchase a fm transmitter form ebay do anyone know what fm station to use in miami

Good Freakin luck.  I live in Ft. Lauderdale and there is not a decent spot on the entire FM dial.  I never got any good reception with my FM Transmitter.

I suggest going to an FM modulator like the one listed here.

http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-Audio-FM-Modulator-Universal/dp/B0007THIDQ

If you don’t have any car stereo installation experience, you may want to go to a car audio place and have them install it.  You should be able to get the unit purchased and installed for under $100.

Of even better, upgrade your car stereo to one that has an Aux In jack. 

But I’ll tell you now, you will get nothing good here in south florida with a FM transmitter.  Mine barely worked adequately in Huntsville AL, and the population density is quite a bit lower.  Here in So. Florida, you won’t find a place on the dial that will work to your satisfaction, unless the FM output of that transmitter is pretty beefy.

I’ve read that the FM transmitters aren’t that great.  I’m glad now that my car had a cassette player then I can use the cassette adaptor and it works great.  Even a coworker who has an ipod said the FM transmitter doesn’t work well with his either and prefers the cassette adaptor in his wifes car…

If you don’t have a cassette adaptor and the FM transmitter works, try p_opus’ suggestions if you can.

I love my FM Transmitter.  I have a cassette adapter and my FM transmitter is better.  When I bought it, Radio Shack gave me a list of good channels.   However, if you don’t want to call Radio Shack, here’s a web site that should help:

http://fmchannel.sirius.com/

This web site tries to locate the “most vacant FM channel”.  (It’s for Sirius sattelite radio, but the information is the same).

Hope that helps.

And BTW, Dalaug, if the Ipod user has a Griffin ITrip (which is the typical transmitter owned by Ipod users) those are known to be lousy.

Has anyone ever heard of using an headphone extension with an FM transmitter?  Supposedly, it helps to boost the signal by adding length to the antenna.

@hulksmashnow wrote:
Has anyone ever heard of using an headphone extension with an FM transmitter?  Supposedly, it helps to boost the signal by adding length to the antenna.

I have heard it ans tried it. It only works when you have room for it to be extended (I dont), and you have a pretty clear signal to begin with. My Sony Fm Transmitter has a magnet on 1 wire that I attach to a rear seatbelt, and the headphone plug on another wire that plugs in to the player, these 2 wires run to an adapter that plugs into the cigarette lighter.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&XID=O:dcc-fmt3:dg\_ggldf&productId=11032934

Extending the cable a wee bit may help with radiating the signal, depending upon the transmitter design.

The big problem with cabin FM transmitters is that the modern car FM radio is very well shielded, and the exterior antenna may have issues picking up the RF from the transmitter.  If you have a windshield antenna, I’d guess that reception will be pretty clean.

Many cars are using a single, or in some more sophisticated installations, a multiple differential-signal antenna bay in the rear windows.  These may work pretty well with the transmitter.

Probably the most tenuous signal situation is with the rear-of-the-roof mounted exterior antenna, where the desired signal is shielded, and ambient terrestrial signals are strongest.  The trick is to find an open space in the FM band.

Bob  :wink:

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 01-15-2009 06:46 PM

Thanks for the replies, guys.  I guess I’ll just stick with my cassette adapter.

All the best.

@neutron_bob wrote:

Extending the cable a wee bit may help with radiating the signal, depending upon the transmitter design.

The big problem with cabin FM transmitters is that the modern car FM radio is very well shielded, and the exterior antenna may have issues picking up the RF from the transmitter.  If you have a windshield antenna, I’d guess that reception will be pretty clean.

Many cars are using a single, or in some more sophisticated installations, a multiple differential-signal antenna bay in the rear windows.  These may work pretty well with the transmitter.

Probably the most tenuous signal situation is with the rear-of-the-roof mounted exterior antenna, where the desired signal is shielded, and ambient terrestrial signals are strongest.  The trick is to find an open space in the FM band.

Bob  :wink:

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 01-15-2009 06:46 PM

So that means my antenna that goes up and down wouldn’t work very well with these, correct?  It doesn’t give good reception until it’s up…and currently it’s only going up about a foot now–sticks.  I think it goes out, there’s another car like mine in my work parking with a permanently up antenna, maybe that would work with these… 

So now I’m really glad I have a cassette player in my car.