Does such a thing as a good "cheap" FM transmitter exist?

If you browse the web correctly, there are FM transmitters for under $10. Are these any good though and even worth trying?

the fuze comes with an FM transmitter, it works perfectly well for me

He’s referring to a device to use a car stereo as a “dock.”

@akc123cheese wrote:
the fuze comes with an FM transmitter, it works perfectly well for me

FM radio is not an FM transmitter. An FM transmitter is something you plug an mp3 player into so you can use it through your car’s radio system.

The general concenus is that they are all ■■■■, whether they’re $10 or $100. Don’t waste your money!

Well if I can get one off Ebay for $5 is seems worth trying at least. Some people have good experiences with them, but most do not.

I think a lot depends on where you live and how many FM stations ae transmitting in the area. In a large metropolitan area where there are numerous stations would be worse than if you live ‘out in the sticks’ where there’s only a couple of stations within transmitting distance to interfere with the frequency you are using to ‘transmit’ the signal from the Fuse to the car’s radio circuitry and ultimately the speakers. :wink:

It’s your money. Let us know how it works.

think a lot depends on where you live and how many FM stations are transmitting in the area. In a large metropolitan area where there are numerous stations would be worse than if you live ‘out in the sticks’ where there’s only a couple of stations within transmitting distance to interfere with the frequency you are using to ‘transmit’ the signal from the Fuse to the car’s radio circuitry and ultimately the speakers. :wink:

It’s your money. Let us know how it works.

I live near Philly, there’s tons of stations. I’ll have to see if there are really any that have no stations near them otherwise it might be a bad idea then.

In towns like Philly and Detroit and NY, it is really tough to use FM transmitter, As some one who drives thru detroit alot and who knows philly well, I would invest in a new car sterio with an Aux In jack to hook the fuze directly to the radio.

I have an Accurian FM transmitter that I’m really happy with (the universal one, not the IPOD one).  Cost $20 on sale.   I live in the Seattle area.  I bought it at Radio Shack, where along with the transmitter, they gave me a list of the better FM channels to use. 

I tried that one and I still use it sometimes but It didnt make me happy, I still go some pretty good static in some places.

I tried a cheap ($5) FM transmitter and found it to be junk.  I am now using a Sony cassette adapter which works very well indeed.

@guyscharf wrote:
I tried a cheap ($5) FM transmitter and found it to be junk.  I am now using a Sony cassette adapter which works very well indeed.

I don’t have a casette player in my car. How was it junk? Static?

shenanagins1091 wrote: 

I don’t have a casette player in my car. How was it junk? Static?

Volume was too low.  With radio and player volume turned up full, I could barely hear it.