Extremely slow

Ps - I am using the supplied cables - to the usb 3 ports -

Extreme Pro Portable SSD.

I also have issues using the USB-A 3.1 to USB-c on my Dell Notebook (XPS 7590).

Using usb-c I get expected speed and using the same cable on USB-A 3.1 port on my desktop I also receive expected speed.  Using the supplied cables.

2020-02-15_18-20-49.png

I think it is the provided cable.  I swapped cables and now receive much better performance.

Order a usb-c to a usb-A 3.1 gen 2 cable from Amazon and will test again.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07213D35X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Performance with different USB-c to USB-A cable.  I am thinking this is only a USB 3.0 cable…so performance is not max.

2020-02-15_19-58-23.png

I also have incredibly slow performance. Way worse than anything I’ve seen in this thread so far. I am using the drive to store many programming projects so that they are easy to transport back and forth between home and work. Dealing with MANY small files. Formatted as NTFS thinking that would help and nada. 

Im getting anywhere from 200kb (YES KB) to 2mb / sec. Its up and down left and right. Running it on a brand new lenovo laptop with usb-c ports - plugged directly into the usb-c ports. 

I dont know if its faulty or what - but it formats and takes the data, its just incredibly slow. I almost wish I had just grabbed a 256gb USB3 Flashdisk at this point - they are much faster than this thing.

Media Giant Design

Website Design and Marketing

Try full format

1. Right click the drive you want to format
  2. Click FORMAT
  3. UNCHECK QUICK FORMAT option
  4. Reformat the drive (Very slow too)

There! it should work as new

got the same issue and it’s sometimes automatically fixed. how is that possible iosemus

I also went through the same situation, in fact the problem is with the cable.
Try don`t the bend the cable!

Try and reverse the included cable. I was also only getting 40 something mbps. Reversed the cable and boom. My 2015 13” MacBook Pro is getting 450~ish mbps.

1 Like

Not Necessary just reverse the supplied cable and that should solve the speed issue. It did for me.

Guys! :joy::joy:
There’s nothing wrong with the included Type-C to Type-A adapter, y’all just using it wrong. I did it myself. The adapter is meant to lock into the USB-C cable and has ridges that connect perfectly. If you just insert the USB-C cable in the opposite direction, the ridges don’t sit into each other and a proper connection isn’t formed. I got 48 MBps from my drive after it arrived this morning and I was shocked to say the least. An hour later I tried again and without realising, I inserted the cable into the adapter in the right way and voila, ez 430 MBps.

You do not need any extra cables! The one supplied along with the C to A adapter is already as fast as it can get!

Thanks so much for the advice.
Who would’ve guessed that a simple switch of directions would do the trick.
My external SSD didn’t work anywhere near as fast as it should’ve.

I’m thinking about upgrading my SSD though because I need more space and looked through the following article for everything I have to consider:

It’s a German website but you can just translate it via Google Translate. Is there anything else I have to keep in mind that hasn’t been mentioned in the article?

Thanks in advance

hi,
I have the same problem : around 40mb/s using the usb c to usb c cable from seagate and more than 400 using the adapter, I think that the problem come from my usb c port on my laptop.
I have an Acer Aspire VX5 - 591G with a USB 3.1 gen 1 (up to 5 Gbit/s, 5 V , 3A of charging), I’ve asked Acer support and they told me to reinstall windows :smile:, will try when I’ll have some times.

I had the same problem on a brand new Extreme Portable SSD. Reading the posts here, tried switching the direction and a 9 hour transfer is now a 30 minute transfer.

I knew about directional cables for Hi-Fi equipment and its effect on sound quality but didn’t realise it can affect data speed transmission (though I’m guessing for different reasons).

I don’t want to disturb the cable mid job but I couldn’t see any obvious indication of correct direction of travel; there isn’t anything on the packaging either.

Is this normal for data cables? I imagine I don’t need to reverse the direction if I wanted to copy back again…lol!

You can see from the photo where I reversed the direction. Fortunately didn’t have to cancel the job, I just paused it and it worked!

16020975167275604932450330791016|666x500

I was looking for a solution a long time. 36 MB/s read/write was crazy low. IT WAS THE CABLE!
My expensive cables were not good enough. If you use the provided cable, read the comment of user mri9ank above.It is THE solution!

Sir i am also facing same issue

hi, guys.
i ve just bought a external ssd sandisk 1TB and it performs ridiculously slow, sending or receiving files at 42mbps max. there is just this page on google that is talking about this issue, and i still have no resolution for this problem. i ve tried 4 different cables, all type c to usb 3.0, on many usb ports, and the speed rate keeps the same.
does anyone have a suggestion for all this?

I know this is a super old thread, but I actually did a small video about this to demonstrate the issue. The short summary of the fix is: Just turn the cable upside down and that’ll likely fix the speed issue, if you’re converting the USB-C adapter in any way.

Cheers!
-notdan

@kimimeil You have placed an irrelevant link here. I am wondering what is its purpose here?

The slow speeds you’re experiencing with your SanDisk Extreme SSDs could be due to various factors:

1. USB Port Compatibility: Make sure you’re using USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10 Gbps) ports for optimal speeds. Some USB ports might not provide the necessary bandwidth for high-speed SSD performance.
  2. Cable Quality: Ensure you’re using high-quality USB-C cables capable of supporting USB 3.1 Gen 2 speeds. A poor-quality cable can bottleneck data transfer rates.
  3. Drivers and Firmware: Check if your motherboard’s USB drivers and SSD firmware are up to date. Sometimes, updates can improve compatibility and performance.
  4. Operating System: Ensure your operating system is also updated. Sometimes, software updates can enhance hardware compatibility.
  5. Testing Software: Use multiple benchmarking tools to verify the speeds. CrystalDiskMark might not always provide perfectly accurate results. Other tools like ATTO Disk Benchmark can also be useful.
  6. Background Processes: Background processes or tasks on your computer could impact SSD performance during benchmarking. Close unnecessary applications before running benchmarks.
  7. Thermal Throttling: Overheating can lead to performance throttling. Ensure your SSDs are adequately cooled during benchmarking.
  8. Power Management: Check your power settings and ensure that they are optimized for performance rather than power savings, as power-saving settings can affect SSD performance.
  9. Contact SanDisk Support: If none of the above steps help, consider reaching out to SanDisk’s customer support for specific troubleshooting related to their SSDs.
  10. Defective SSDs: It’s possible that one or both of your SSDs are defective. If they consistently perform well below their advertised speeds even after trying the above steps, you might need to consider replacement.

EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard is a popular and highly recommended software for recovering lost data due to its user-friendly interface, powerful recovery capabilities, and support for a wide range of file types and storage devices.

I have extreme pro 2000 mbps and I get only around 1000 mbps on usb 3.2 I guess I have one.

Any one have an idea what I can do about it?
Thank You