Extreme 64GB USB 3.0 - First impressions upon unpacking

It is our first SanDisk pen/thumb/… drive/stick/… we have.

The impressions were made yet before starting to play with its memory space,

electronics and other data-focused features.

Shortcomings:

• the question of Windows 8 compatibility unclear

• slider feature must be based on sophisticated mechanism,

it will malfunction quickly - statement based on experience

• eyelet filigree, it can get damaged quickly; I do not trust it a long durability

• no protection against dust, humidity, shocks, others. Robust form will be better.

• case is filigree, not suitable to attach to my bunch of keys

Pro’s:

• low weight

Thougt it was cool to get…   case seems fragile.  

upon first using it… it didn’t detect right away… so I removed it, and re-inserted it… came up right away.  wanted to start moving files there. Tried to create a new folder, However, it would cause the windows explorer window to stop responding… then afer a few seconds would come up with an error (file system error (65535).

I tried to create a text file, that worked… and could even modify the file and save…

Guess I’ll be returning this one…

Has anybody an idea why these drives are retailed with been formatted to FAT32, not to NTFS? NTFS should provide more performance, or am I wrong here? How safety is it carry this drive with a small bunch of keys. 3 keys: flat + post box? You know how the bunch of keys is normally handled. Any rubberized case available for this drive on the market?

They are in FAT32 for compatibility. NTFS is not compatible with all OS where FAT32 is. IN addition to that NTFS you should always use safely remove media before removing because it is a journaled file system. The best format for removable drives now is exfat. None of the limitations of FAT32 but there are still some OS compatibility issues with exFAT. 

Carrying the drive on a key chain should not be an issue. I have the same drive on my keychain with no issues. I have not seen any sleeves for this drive. 

> Carrying the drive on a key chain should not be an issue. >I have the same drive on my keychain with no issues. I have not seen any sleeves for this drive. Really? You know how a keys bunch is normally handled. Mechanical shocks are normality. As far as I know mechanical shock is killer for flash chips.

If you have all these concerns and issues, why did you buy the flash drive?  You saw what it looked like before you bought it.

As for durability SanDisk drives have been known to survive washing machines and dryers. :wink:

> If you have all these concerns and issues, why did you buy the flash drive?  You saw what it looked like before you bought it.

Do you then perhaps know any other model/product with exact the same performance,

however well-protected against dust, mechanical shocks, water?

Me not.