Sandisk Extreme 3.0 64gb problem...

Hi

i just bought  this flash drive and changed it to ntfs-format, and put some music on it.

And now cant I find the drive , the computer makes i bip sound when i plug it in and nothing more happends :frowning:

I have uninstalld the drivers for the flashdrive and pluged it in again and it intall the drivers but the flash drive does not show up.

In computer :frowning:

I got windows 7

please help!!!

@kraniet wrote:

i just bought  this flash drive and changed it to ntfs-format, and put some music on it.

Why would you do this? Flash drives come formatted from the factory as FAT32 for a reason. The only advantage to re-formatting to NTFS is that it would allow a single file larger than 4GB to be transferred to the drive. And there’s not any music files that I know of that are that large.

:confounded:

I hate it when people mocks other people asking a legitimate question, if you really are an expert or “Sandisk Guru” why don’t you just answer the question if you have one? all you did is scare off a newbie trying to get some help with his or her problem. If an option to format a media using NTFS or exFAT or whatever file system exists then I would like to know that I can do so without a problem not just because I wanted to but because that’s one way to know for sure that the media I purchased is working properly.

With the advancement of technology today one would assume that storage media can be formatted using different file sytem formats unlike 20 years ago where you have to set jumpers on hard drives just to enable LBA or get around file system limitations.

Now I want to make one thing clear I am by no means an expert on storage media, but based on my experience with removable media it’s either what Kranet bought is defective or a fake one. I recently purchased a 32GB Micro SD Class 10 for use with Windows Readyboost feature and to be able to get aournd the 4GB limitation of FAT32 it needs to be formatted using NTFS or exFAT but I couldn’t, sometimes I could usinig exFAT but it would act up, so I contacted the seller and explained the problem I was experiencing and he just let me keep the (defective or fake) SD Card and gave me a refund.

Be careful purchasing these kind of items on the internet because there’s a lot of fake ones with inferior quality out there,

Goodluck,

because that’s one way to know fobecause that’s one r sure that the media I purchased is working properly.”

There are other less destructive ways to accomplish that.  When you buy a car do you run the engine at full throttle until the tank is empty to check that the gas guarge is working properly?  That is one way to do it.

Other than having a NEED to store files larger than 4 GB (movies, image backups) there is no good reason to format a USB drive.

" I contacted the seller and explained the problem I was experiencing and he just let me keep the (defective or fake) SD Card and gave me a refund."

A true gentleman.

Be careful purchasing these kind of items on the internet because there’s a lot of fake ones with inferior quality out there,”

Yes unfortunately, I agree.

I am wondering the same thing. I use a flash drive for windows ReadyBoost. Since windows is NTFS one would think it logical that the flash drive be formatted the same. Thats my question:

Should the readyboost flash drive be formatted to NTFS or does it work just as well or better using FAT?

There is no requirement that all drives on a pc have the same file format.  In that NTFS includes journaling for file protection, which has overhead, and that ReadyBoost is for disposable paging and caching, thus has no need for file protection, FAT is a better format for it.

I went into my local shop to buy one this evening. To save time, I just chose the most expensive USB 3.0 drive I could see displayed. They had the whole range of Sandisks. 

The shop keeper found and handed me the package and so I took out my money, then he mentioned he couldn’t guarantee the backwards compatibility to 2.0 because he had too many customer complaints about it not working for 2.0 ports. He recommended true 3.0 hardware. I was so surprised, I quickly retracted my money in a gut reaction. It’s not everyday a shopkeper talks you ‘out’ of a product. They are supposed to sell you stuff as fast as they can. I figured he had to be telling me the truth and was just covering his arse. So i quickly left and ended up with another brand.

Personally I think he was tryng to sell you “true 3.0 hardware” in addition to the USB drives.

There are numerous useful features of NTFS that are not available in FAT file systems, other than journaling.

The ones that I take advantage of most often are:

*  Arbitratily long path names.

*  Junctions and symlinks.

In addition, there are various security options, including hairy permission structures and encryption.

Also, the journaling and redundancy features of NTFS should not be overlooked.  NTFS is much less susceptible to data loss in the event of a crash, power failure, or hang that requires a hard reset.

All of these require overhead.  One reason to buy a high end USB stick is so that the overhead of e.g. NTFS is tolerable.

–p.