Earphone jack

My daughter plugged her earphone into the Sansa Fuse this morning and also plugged in the speakers. It all worked. Now there is a piece of metal in the unit that won’t let us plug in either. I don’t want to force in the earphone jack or the speaker jack because I might damage the unit. How do I fix this?

richcarson wrote:
My daughter plugged her earphone into the Sansa Fuse this morning and also plugged in the speakers. It all worked. Now there is a piece of metal in the unit that won’t let us plug in either. I don’t want to force in the earphone jack or the speaker jack because I might damage the unit. How do I fix this?

How did the metal get in there? Is it stuck some how? What does it look like? If I look at mine it appears there is a small strip of copper looking metal but thats part of the jack. 

The metal is silver and inside the unit where the earphone plugs in. It is dead center, so it looks like it is meant to be there. It also doesn’t move. So I don’t think it is a lose piece.

So when you try to plug the phones in you hit it? Or does it just make it tougher to push? If you had a pair of tweezers or pliers could you pull it out? If you can get the phones in most of the way then dont worry about it so much and give it a little push to see if the phones lock in. If however you are hitting this piece of metal and it is keeping the phones from seating (clicking) into place, then you probably have a player with a defect and should try to return it for a new one or get an RMA from Sandisk.

Message Edited by Conversionbox on 12-25-2009 03:30 PM

I don’t think pulling it out is a good idea. The factory would tell me I screwed it up and not replace it. I can’t get the jack in more than 1/8 of an inch and nothing plays.

Is there any way you could take a picture and post it to something like photobucket? It sounds like maybe something is defective with the jack.

It worked this morning fine. I tried moving the metal but it won’t budge.

It’s less than an 1/8th of an inch wide and right at the base of the earphone jack hole.

Its flat? Or is it round like a Wire? If its flat then you definitely are dealing with a defective jack.

It is a flat piece of metal.

When the player is new the headphone jack is very tight. A bit of force is needed to get the plug in all the way. This will loosen up a bit with wear.

richcarson wrote:
It is a flat piece of metal.

There is a small flat piece of metal that should rest against the side of the jack. If its not there then you have a defect. If it is then the piece you have in your player is not supposed to be there and I would very easily attempt to pull it out. But as I said if you cant see the piece that appears to be resting on the side of the jack then you need to return it for a replacement or call Tech Support about an RMA. These things happen on occasion no matter what kind of jack you are using. I had a headphone Jack at work (On a $15,000 mixer) go bad in what may be the same way.

If you can post a pic that would be helpful. 

OK, figured it out. The side metal in the earjack got pushed down. How the could happen is beyond me. Just cheap junk I guess. I used a very small flat end screw driver to lift it up.

Does it work? It could be as simple as when you pushed the phones or speakers in you hit it directly and bent it, or it could be something else. If it happens again return it as a defect and get a new one.