Display of time elapsed/remaining ?

Just got a new zip clip as my clip+ died.

Looked quickly through the manual and through the player … is there a way to display (or even know) where you are, time-wise, in the midst of a track?

I often listen to single, long files - like lectures, discussions - so the file could be an hour long or more.  The progress bar shows vaguely where I am but it would be useful, if I need to stop midstream, to know exactly where I ended.

Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately no. SanDisk, in their infinite wisdom and acute awareness of how people use their players deemed it unnecessary to have this critical information displayed.

It’s been criticized and begged for by many here since the player came out a year ago. SanDisk has had numerous opportunities to add this in a firmware update, but has held their position that we really don’t need this feature.

The only way to get it is by installing and using Rockbox, alternative open-source firmware designed and updated by people who actually use these things.

I feel another rant coming on from those of us who use our players for DRM-protected library books and don’t want to risk Rockbox breaking DRM.

ClipZip is NOT recommended for audiobooks due to the missing track information.  It’s unfortunate - with track information, it would be a great little audiobook player.

I wish SanDisk would respond to this!  Is it _ “in progress” _ or _ “not going to happen” _?

@kmk_01kmk wrote:

I feel another rant coming on from those of us who use our players for DRM-protected library books and don’t want to risk Rockbox breaking DRM.

ClipZip is NOT recommended for audiobooks due to the missing track information.  It’s unfortunate - with track information, it would be a great little audiobook player.

I wish SanDisk would respond to this!  Is it _ “in progress” _ or _ “not going to happen” _?

Not trying to fan the flames, but I have a pretty good hunch it’s the latter.

I see that for “podcasts” the time info is on the display.  What (ID3?) tag needs to change so that I can manually change files to be recognized as “podcasts” by the zipclip (or is there simply one labelled podcast)?

I have a great solution for the elapsed time display  on the Clip Zip, Tape.

I am going to modify a Xenarc searchlight with a sansafix logo screen on it.  I’ll shine it like the bat signal.  I really miss the old days.  Perhaps, I still have his number on my limited edition Maxwell Smart shoe phone.

The center-press mode / display function of the earlier Clips would be great to switch from the progress bar to elapsed time.  I think it should be a selectable option, or it should display if we rewind or fast forward. Seriously, who cares about the song rating when you’re trying to find a specific part of a track?

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

@tapeworm wrote:

@kmk_01kmk wrote:

Not trying to fan the flames, but I have a pretty good hunch it’s the latter.

Thanks - all I really need is an answer - if it is “the latter”, I need to glue a clothespin or something onto my Clip+ to fix the broken clip & I’ll go back to using that. :)  I’ve been holding on to the hope that they’d fix the Zip!  Thanks for sharing your hunch.

It’s been 9 months since the Zip came out, and the display has not changed since (despite pretty obvious, repeated requests, and various firmware upgrades).  If I were a betting man . . . .   :frowning:

I guess Sandisk is busy working on the firmware for the Fuze Zip, or whatever they will call the next player they release, hopefully at the end of August.  I hope it will have micro SDXC card support,and 40+ hours battery life. I would  be very happy if it has HD radio and two micro SDXC card slots.

Personally, this is BS that something as simple as Track time is left out of firmware. I really don’t care for rockbox, and I can’t return my Zip. This is as basic as it gets. Last time I buy a Sansa product, new anyway. Will stick to a refurb Clip+ and see if I can pawn the Zip off on someone.

Sorry for my English.

The missing of Time & Remain on Clip Zip is very curious.
Sandisk make a Player and forgott this Feature. Ok.

I don’t understand  that Sandisk ignore complete  the User Feedback.
Im see in the Wishlist Thread and nothing from wishes are come?

Dear Sandisk you complete Ignore User wishes ?
incompetent  or incapable?

On the next Time i will Buy a MP3 Player. I’m Remember me to the incompetent or incapable issue for Sandisk.

@koto wrote:

Sorry for my English.

No need to apologize. I think you expressed yourself sehr gut (very well), Koto. I don’t claim to be half as “smart” as the suit at SanDisk who made the decision to leave this critical information off the playing screen on this player, but even I understood your thoughts loud & clear. :wink:

Argh so they really did not put a time left/duration on this thing. What a shame. Just bought it 30 mins ago and have been fiddleling around with it thinking it was a feature I had to enable.

My Clip+ finally died after much good use. Smacked it good in the gym while deadlifting when it was in my pocket -_-

I already had an epic battle trying to get the Clip Zip out of the package so don’t think they want a multiliated plastic packaging now… I hope there is a firmware update for them to add in time left/duration in the near future. I like listening to 1hr - 2hr mixes sooo sometimes I want to skip to a certain part of the mix.