time listed in upper left corner?

On the top left, it might say something listed as “04:36”.  What does this time refer to?  How do I get it to display the tracks remaining to be played in the album.

The number in the upper left of the screen is the current time (clock). There is no way to display either the elasped time or time remaining of a playing track unless you install the 3rd-party firmware called Rockbox. The folks at SanDisk thought users would have no need for this function so they did ot include it in this model, opting for the current time instead.

Brilliant, huh? :confounded:

Does the previous model show time remaining and track count?   The Sansa Clip+?

Yes, the Clip+ has a musch larger progress bar (easier to see than the 1 pixel high one on the Zip) and shows elasped time of the time. No clock though.

What is the advantage of the zip over the clip+?  It appears that there is more room for displaying stuff, but it remains unused on my device.  No artwork shows up.

I guess for the artwork sort. they’ll like the Zip.  Unfortunately, the resolution is lacking, as is screen info. (it appears that the engineers thought it more important to have unibscured artwork rather than song/title info.). 

I guess for the artwork sort. they’ll like the Zip.  Unfortunately, the resolution is lacking, as is screen info. (it appears that the engineers thought it more important to have unobscured artwork rather than song/title info.–a call that many of us disagree with).