Connecting to Audible Manager

To connect with the Audible Manager, you need to have MTP mode active.

This is easy to test.  Plug in your Fuze, then open a Windows Explorer window by pressing [Windows key] + E or go to My Computer.  The Fuze must be listed as a media device under other.  Double click on the Fuze, and you’ll see Internal Memory, then one more double click to open the root directory.  If everything is OK at this point, we can approach the Audible client.

Please note that Audible is a wee bit different with the Fuze.  There have been some updates in the background.  Most notable is that you must use Audible Format 4 with the Fuze.  If you have books in your library downloaded in Format 3, you can set up future downloads to be specific to the Fuze (I have Format 3 selected for my other Sansas, and Format 4 set for when the Fuze is connected).  Audible allows you to download either version readily for your Sansas, so you can have both formats in your library.

Let’s address the Audible Manager.  With the client open, you can click the Help > Updates function (sorry, I am on a terminal without the AM available at the moment), and reload the SanDisk Digital Players plugin, as this has been updated for the Fuze.

The other step is to go to the Audible website and download the new Audible Manager.  They have fixed this process to make it easier:  You CAN update by clicking the online library button, then go to support by the new open web browser that pops up.

The new manager installation has been updated to allow an “on top” installation, making repairs of the client a snap.  Simply click on the download button, and let 'er fly.  A window will pop up during the process noting that you will be repairing an existing installation.

You can also do it the old fashioned way, uninstalling the Audible Manager, then reinstalling a new copy.  Your library will remain- I’ve tested it under fire with my own installation.

One last thought: if you reinstall or update, play it safe and be sure that the SanDisk Digital players plugin is loaded.

Bob :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 03-15-2009 11:41 AM

Hey bob,

I’ve done everything you suggested, I keep getting the message…“your sandisk sansa fuze 8gb device model is not compatible with audible content. please click OK to see our supported devices in our device center”.  When I emailed Audible they came back with “Thank you for contacting Audible.

In regards to your email on the sansa Fuze connection. I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. Please be sure your device is running the latest firmware 1.01.22. Also please verify the Audible Manager is running version 5.5.0.1. If both are running the correct version, your device will need to be formatted through the settings options. After the format is complete, connect your device again, and Audible Manager will have the ability to read the device.

Here at Audible, we truly value and appreciate your business; if you need further assistance, please respond to this email or if you wish, please provide me with a contact number and the best available time to reach you.”

After realizing I did NOT have 1.01.22 I emailed back and waiting to see what to do next.  Does anyone else have this problem?

vonnee

Yes, this is the nuclear option.  Here is a photo of Sansas undergoing treatment in the laboratory.

Actually, this is _Cherenkov radiation , _ happy neutrons, light caused by electrons at speeds above C exciting the water moderator.  My favorite hue.

There are two versions of the firmware, found in this thread.  You can use the firmware updater discussed, or simply follow the manual installation instructions.  The important difference is to go to your device and find which version you need.

On the device, Settings > System Settings > Info.  Look at the top line, the installed firmware version. The first two digits will tell you the proper version for your device.  I hadn’t thought of that, as I have the latest version firmware on all of my devices.

The earlier Fuze firmware would freak out the Audible Manager if you selected the µSD expansion slot, and had issues being recognized by the client.

It’s a breeze to download the proper firmware file, unzip the file , and drag and drop the bin file to the Fuze’s root directory.  When you unplug, the device will announce “firmware upgrade in progress”.  You can access the root directory by double clicking on the Fuze in Windows Explorer.  If you were using AM before, you’re in MTP mode already.

To open the root while in MTP, simply double click on the Internal Memory icon, and the root will open.  Place the bin file in this box, next to the existing folders, but not inside any of them.   

If the Sansa isn’t happy with teh transfer, you can select MSC mode temporarily by going to Settings > System Settings > USB Mode > MSC and try again.  Be sure to select MTP afterwards for Audible.

The nuclear option?

This means format tehe device using the built-in Format command, and reauthorize the device while plugged in, and the Audible Manager open.  This option involves completely erasing all media from the device, but it is guaranteed to work.  The problem is that you have to reload everything.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Hey Bob,

I tried to drag & drop but I get a universal no (circle with a slash) and it won’t let me drop it.  and then I tried it in MSC mode and it lets me but when I unplug, it says refreshing media, then I check it out and it is still v2.01.17.  I tried Format but it doesn’t change anything…

vonnee:cry:

You are updated to the latest version of the firmware, with a revision 2 device.  Note the first two digits of your firmware version.  There are two revisions of the Sansa Fuze, with the different firmwares reflecting changes to accomodate a slight hardware difference between the two devices.  They will both perform identically.

Switch back to MTP mode for your Audible transfers to work.  As for formatting, the best way is to do so on the device: Settings > System Settings > Format > Yes.

µsansa

I’ve made sure it is in MTP and connected to my computer with audible manager on and I keep getting the same message “your sansa fuze 8gb device is not compatible with audible content”

I’m just really frustrated…!!!

Thanks for trying to help.:cry:

Try the following steps:

1. On the device, Settings > System Settings > Format > Yes.  This will ensure that the device is clear (it erases all media from the device).

2. Select MTP mode via Settings > System Settings > USB Mode > MTP.

3. Open the Audible Manager, and Click Help > Check For Updates, now that you have the new AM installed.  Check the box next to SanDisk Digital Players (even though it may show as installed).

1. Plug in your Sansa.

Watch the Audible Manager for changes, especially the bottom of the screen.  Does it say “reading SanDisk Sansa Fuze?”

1. Click on Add New Device.  This option gives you the opportunity to add the SanDisk Plugin if it’s missing.

2. Right Click On the Fuze if it appears in the lower left panel, then Authorize.

Let me know what happens at this stage.  If no success, we can check the MTP pipeline:

Press [Windows key] + [pause / break] or go to Control Panel > System.  Then Click the Hardware Tab > Device manager button.  Do you see a listing under Portable Devices?  Click on this icon, and the Fuze must show up.  Right click, and select Update Driver, or my favorite, Uninstall , the atomic option.  Unplug, reboot, and plug in again.  This will force Windows to reinstall the MTP drivers for the Sansa.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

I followed all the steps on the first part and same results…

then I checked the MTP pipeline…same results…

anymore possibilities?

thanks again for trying…

Halleluiah!!! I finally got it to work and I only had to buy another computer…Not really but sort of…I had been trying to get the Fuze to work on my laptop that was running XP but after being so frustrated, I thought try, it on my laptop that has Vista and Voila! it WORKS!!!

So I guess the moral of this story is…Who knows!!!

Thanks for all the help.

vonnee:smileyvery-happy::stuck_out_tongue: