Connecting to Audible Manager

(scratches chin)

Hmm…updating Audible Manager, checking for updates…haven’t I been the one replying with you since your first post?

I even phoned them regarding this issue, compatibility, and updates.  There’s a bit of confusion regarding Format 4.

Bob  :wink:

@neutron_bob wrote:

(scratches chin)

Hmm…updating Audible Manager, checking for updates…haven’t I been the one replying with you since your first post?

Yes and, no offense, but it got nowhere.  SansaFix mentioned something about Audible updating their software and that’s what I was asking about.  I don’t care about formats and whatnot (I have everything downloaded in Format 4) if I cannot load them on my Fuze at all.

Ah, no worries.  Audible is making some changes behind the scenes, but your Fuze should be working with the current build of the Manager.

I will retest it on a Fuze here, and see if all is well with the format with a fresh authorization.

It’s working fine on the other (v2 and Clip) AS3525 machines, in either format.  Just confirming: Audible died with the 01.015.15 firmware, but was okay with 01.01.11?  I’ll have a go with both firmwares…

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 10-21-2008 06:09 PM

@neutron_bob wrote:

Ah, no worries.  Audible is making some changes behind the scenes, but your Fuze should be working with the current build of the Manager.

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 10-21-2008 06:09 PM

I agree it should but doesn’t, not since the firmware update.  It worked great before.  No problems whatsoever.

I’m having the same problem now with getting Audible Manager to manage books cleanly on the microSD card.  Hopefully Audilble comes up with a fix soon.

Justin

Right then!  Audible experiments.  I also tried working with the SanDisk Digital Players plugin, reinstalling it to see if there have been any changes.

Resetting authorizations took a few minutes, contacting Audible to clear the slate on their end.  I started from this point, clearing an open e280 “slot” for the Fuze in question.

I went to audible.com/software for a new copy of the Audible Manager.  I have confirmed that the new Manager will indeed install “on top”, meaning that it can be installed without uninstalling the whole works, allowing repairs to the client.

I prefer the standalone manager, as we all know how enigmatic WiMP can be…

I sent two files in Format 3 to the Fuze, getting an Authorization fault on the Fuze when trying to play them.  A pair of Format 4 files were sent next.  Success!  The Fuze does not like the Format 3 Audible files; the counters also read garbled information.  Format 4 works well.

I have to run to the salt mines in a few minutes…I’ll have a go at the µSD card issue tonight!

Just as a footnote, I contacted Audible at 0601 pst, or right at the crack of 0900 est.  The guys at Audible were most helpful, despite my head start on the coffee today!

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Internal isn’t a problem.  It’s the external that screws everything up.  I thought I stated that earlier.

I see that, after the initial post, about nine down.  When I get a chance tonight, I’ll try the µSD card.  There wasn’t time this morning.

It’s curious that Format 3 causes issues, yet Format 4 plays back OK, in the internal memory.  (16kbps vs. 32kbps)

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 05-14-2009 11:11 PM

Yeah, all my stuff previously wast Format 3.  It got borked with the update (it was on the player but wouldn’t work).

I narrowed it down to the card (where I always put books).  I also tried a couple of other cards (2 GB ones) and they did the same thing.

One thing I did notice is that Audible books are now organized differently on the player.  And, it even organizes internal and external ones differently from each other.  I’m guessing this is what is screwed up.

I got a late start this morning, but had a chance to try the new (repaired) build of the Audible Manager a bit further.  Using the docked e280v2, I transferred files in Formats 3 and 4 to both internal and the µSD card.  Both venues are fine on the v2.

I have an open µSD card to try this afternoon with the Fuze, with a pair of F3 and F4 files to be going on the card.

The Download Manager has been revamped from the previous build, I see, while downloading the various periodicals from Audible.

I will have a go with both firmwares 01.01.11 and 01.01.15.

As both formats are fine on the v2 device- same processor- it makes sense that a Fuze code patch is possible for the next firmware release if there are issues.

Definitely, if your primary use of the Fuze is Audible, the previous firmware build is available as a workaround until the next release.

I’ll update in a few hours!

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

Where are you seeing an Audible Manager update?  It says mine is up to date already.

I had a separate issue, necessitating a repair of the Manager.  By installing the “overlay” software, I have noted several changes in operation versus my previous build, most notably the download manager GUI.

Audible confirmed that the Manager can be repaired in this manner, rather then a complete reinstall.  The latest download version is configured in this way.

I’m headed back to the office to check the µSD + Fuze experiment…

Update 26 Oct: What external memory?  According to the Manager, I have nothing there.  Pulling up the Task Manager, the (Audible) Manager.exe process is pulling 99% of my processor time.  Do you think there may be an issue?  I see what you are talking about.  I’m going to “go retro” and see if operation restores with a quick (firmware) version 11 swap.

I want to verify the scope of the issue.

A note for those who are using Audible books and the current build 01.01.15 firmware with the Fuze:  if you are having difficulties enjoying your books, or operating with the µSD card, I’d recommend running with Firmware 01.01.11 (link above, in post number 9 of this thread) for the time being, if you cannot access / listen to them. 

The coolest thing about the Sansa is that in time of need, you can swap firmware like a chameleon changes color.

Sorry for the delay in checking it out, I’ve been buried in a separate troubleshooting issue with the oscilloscope (not Sansa related).

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 10-26-2008 10:21 AM

This is exactly my issue.  Thanks for checking it out!

I’m testing the reversion to the earlier firmware now.

Steve

Edit:  Revision to 1.01.11A per the prior link worked fine; everything is working again.  Clearly an issue with the new firmware and audible manager.

Message Edited by Alleycatdad on 10-28-2008 09:42 AM

This problem will be fixed in the next Firmware update (in November).  Sorry for the inconvenience.

@alleycatdad wrote:

This is exactly my issue.  Thanks for checking it out!

I’m testing the reversion to the earlier firmware now.

Steve

Edit:  Revision to 1.01.11A per the prior link worked fine; everything is working again.  Clearly an issue with the new firmware and audible manager.

Message Edited by Alleycatdad on 10-28-2008 09:42 AM

My humble opinion.

@sansafix wrote:
This problem will be fixed in the next Firmware update (in November).  Sorry for the inconvenience.

It works with the lastest firmware update (so far).  However, I do think that it is still strange that organizes the ones internally different than the ones on the card.  Music doesn’t do that.

I’m getting the same problem.  When I bought the Sansa Fuze, I loaded format 3 audible files and listened to them with no problem.  Then apparently it updated the firmware and now it will not accept format 3, only format 4.  I’ve downloaded all my files again in format 4, but they are twice as big.  Does anyone know if the problem will be fixed anytime soon?

@davemc wrote:

I’m getting the same problem.  When I bought the Sansa Fuze, I loaded format 3 audible files and listened to them with no problem.  Then apparently it updated the firmware and now it will not accept format 3, only format 4.  I’ve downloaded all my files again in format 4, but they are twice as big.  Does anyone know if the problem will be fixed anytime soon?

It’s really not a “problem” but is working as intended.  From what I understand, Audible requested that only Format 4 files be allowed on the Fuze.  I don’t know why except that maybe they don’t want people to load all of their stuff on it.  It makes no sense to me but it is what it is.

My personal solution? 

Fuze: Format 4 (Sounds like 128 kb/s, actual rate is 32kb/s) , big files, useful to hear paperclips fall from the desk, the reader’s growling stomach, or analyze the shifts in the microphone between passages of The New York Times Audio Digest.  Indeed, the increased clarity makes the morning paper so much more…well, vivid.  I felt sorry for the reader, who has to rise in the wee hours of the morning, as I noticed his voice was definitely affected by a nasty head cold. All in Technicolor, too. Thank God the podcast is under an hour.

e200: Format 3 (Sounds like 64 kb/s, actual rate is 16kb/s) , much more acceptable compression.  Audible calls it “FM quality”.  Yes, it is a softer, less detailed sound, but definitely quite acceptable for a pleasant 18 hour book.  I enjoy going back to specific chapters from favorite audiobooks, without having to worry about hogging my memory.  Room for plenty of music files, Rhapsody Channels and all.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 05-14-2009 11:23 PM

I recently purchased a new Sansa Fuze 8gb and I have been unable to connect to Audible Manager.  It has v 2.01.17a firmware installed on it.  Is there anyway to get v1.01.22 on it so it will work?  I specifically bought this because it was supposed to be Audible Ready and so for NOTHING.  I have been using a Creative Zen Nano for over 2 years without a problem.  I have audiobooks downloaded in format 3 and format 4.