clip+ stuck in media refresh mode

Hi,

My clip+ got stuck in the “refreshing media” mode, at about 2/3rds. It is reasonably charged and fully stuffed. Removing and reinserting the SD card does nothing, and neither does connecting the usb cable nor pressing buttons randomly.

…help? ._.

This Knowledgebase article might help

Thanks, that fixed it!

I’ve been using my Clip+ daily, mostly for MP3 books, but also music.

suddenly it gets stuck in Refresh mode and is frozen. Hooking it to USB port with the original cable does not connect.

I’ve read all the advice, I’ve forced MTC state and if I take the 8gig micro card out it works and I can use the Clip+ with just it’s 4gig size - but anytime I put the 8gig card in I’m back to 'Refreshing" freeze.

I tried a new, blank micro card - no luck.

I can use it as a 4 gig player, but that’s not fun.

Any ideas?

thanks,

SusanD

Call SanDisk Tech Support. If one card worked fine, but the other didn’t, I’d suspect one or more of the files on it was giving the Clip+'s tiny brain a headache. But, if they’re both causing the problem, you’ve got an internal problem with the unit itself.

If it’s still under warranty, you should be able to get a replacement.

@druding wrote:

I’ve read all the advice, I’ve forced MTC state and if I take the 8gig micro card out it works and I can use the Clip+ with just it’s 4gig size - but anytime I put the 8gig card in I’m back to 'Refreshing" freeze.

I tried a new, blank micro card - no luck.

Call SanDisk Tech Support. If one card worked fine, but the other didn’t, I’d suspect one or more of the files on it was giving the Clip+'s tiny brain a headache. But, if they’re both causing the issue, you’ve most likely got an internal problem with the unit itself.

If it’s still under warranty, you should be able to get a replacement.

Could you try reformatting the microSD card and starting from scratch and see if that helps?  It sometimes does.

I have had this problem and ended up getting another MP3 player non SanDisk and never had a problem.  I did get curious to see if  could fix and read and tried everything but you just can’t get past the media refresh.  The only thing that got it to stop refreshing media and to be able to do anything like update firmware was to insert a micro sd card which I had a spare 256mb from an old phone or camera.  The reset button and reset button to go into MSC mode did not work in my situation.  Once I put in a micro sd card I was able to troublehoot and ended up fixing by running diskpart. 

c:\windows\system32\diskpart

list disk

select disk 1 (choose the disk that is your sandisk. if you can’t see drive you need to set usb to MSC)

list partition

clean

I had downloaded a very easy free tool to parttiton drives (MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition).  I had partition my Sansa as primary parttion and formatted as FAT32 and set it as active.  I had partitioned my 256mb micro sd card as a primary partition and formatted it as FAT16.  You can than change usb settings back to automatic and it will come up like it once did.  You loose some disk storage but hey at least I can fix the issue if it come up again.  The fact that you have to remove the tags from the mp3 files is lame.  I don’t have that problem with the Phillips MP3 player I replaced my sansa with and not once had any issues with it.   

@tinmin wrote:

The fact that you have to remove the tags from the mp3 files is lame.

And wrong.

No one in this thread (or anywhere that I’ve ever seen) has said, or recommended to remove the ID3 tags from the files.

But tacking onto a 3 year-old thread is a

And IS considered lame. :wink:

I had no idea this was a 3 year old thread for I had bought my sansa disk less than 6 months ago and was looking for a solution in the threads and yes I did post a fix for the other fixes didn’t work.  And if you had this problem and search aimlessly for an answer you will see other saying to use mp3tag.  Maybe they didn’t mention that in this thread but they mention it in others.  Just search for media refresh mode and there are a lot of issues on this topic and some not answered.  I am glad that you stay on top of things for not being the person who started this thread felt the need to come back for what ever reason.  And you got to come with somethig better than that…please…next.  And your answers are weak.  Learn to troublshoot.

@tinmin wrote:

_ I had no idea this was a 3 year old thread _

That’s why it’s always a good idea to check the date of the post you intend to reply to . . . _ before _ replying to it. Regardless of the forum you’re on. :wink:

@tinmin wrote:

And if you had this problem and search aimlessly for an answer _ you will see other saying to use mp3tag.  _ Maybe they didn’t mention that in this thread but they mention it in others.  Just search for media refresh mode and there are a lot of issues on this topic and some not answered. 

Yes, MP3Tag is widely recommnded for editing and/or correcting ID3 tags, but no one that I know of has ever mentioned _ ‘removing’ _ the tags as you said.

@tinmin wrote:

_ And you got to come with somethig better than that…please…next.  And your answers are weak.  Learn to troublshoot. _

Gee, that must be why I only have 550+ Authored Solutions and 78 Kudos all freely given by others here. That must be what I’ve been doing wrong all these years. :stuck_out_tongue:

You wrote call tech support really…I guess you must call tech support a lot…lol  I am not going to read other threads and knew you would post back.