Clip+ locks up

I was on an airplane listening to my clip+ when all of a sudden it just went dead and stopped working all together. The battery had just been charged fully so that should not have been a problem. It was just dead and wouldn’t do anything no display light no anything. I just got home and plugged it into my computer USB port and now it is responding and charging. It looks like it is working ok. Any ideas on what would cause such a problem. I tried to do the reset holding the on/off button for 20 seconds but the unit was just DOA.

Message Edited by hy_tek on 11-01-2009 05:07 PM

I would try doing the reset more than once, for some reason mine took a couple of tries to work.  I have arthritis though, so holding that little button in is not always easy, it may have just been that which caused the problem (I miss the slider, which I could work sooo much easier!!)

I like this new unit but for some reason reliability might be an issue. I am waiting to see what luck others have with the Clip +. I agree I like the slider button better. This new on / off button is hard to operate unless you have tiny fingers. Would also be nice if there was a cover for the MicroSD slot to keep out dirt and debris. In time I can see this being an issue. The Replay gain feature does not seem to make any audible difference on my unit.

Message Edited by hy_tek on 11-01-2009 05:06 PM

The power button has a short travel, and slightly less tactile feel than the volume rocker buttons.  This difference in feel is caused by a combination of differently shaped button tops, and the slightly tilted angle of the rear cover.

As it stands, I haven’t yet accidentally “smooshed” the Clip+ into powering down accidentally, so the balance is about right.  Once you get used to the new power button, it’s pretty nice, actually.

Just try fighting that power slider on the Fuze, and I’m sure you’ll empathise with my conclusions regarding the differences between models.

The top-mounted button allows a dedicated “wakeup” signal for the Clip+, and also simplifies the Home button functionality, allowing ease in navigation, plus the Lock function.  The alternative would have been to force users into a primer of the Morse Code prior to using the device.

If you are curious about what that world would be like, look no further than the cable-mounted control sequence of the new teeny Apple Shuffle.  -… …

I find the new controls very nice indeed.

Bob (-… — -…)  :smileyvery-happy:

I much prefer the clip+ power button to the fuze slider, mainly because I’m concerned about the longevity of the fuze slider, although I prefer a hardware hold button.  I’m not so much worried about the clip+ turning off when I’m using it as it turning on when I’m not.  But regardless, holding the button down long enough to reset is not that easy for me, hopefully I won’t need to do it often (hardly ever on the clip).

Ok you people are getting way off track. This thread is about the clip locking up not the slider button. If you want to talk about the slider then start another thread of your own please. Thanks.

Both the slider and the power button are variations on the same theme- the soft reset, in this situation.

If your Clip+ freezes during playback, the first thing to try is to press and hold the power button for at least ten seconds.  Some times, depending upon the nature of the difficulty, a longer press may be required, depending upon whether the Clip encountered a bad file, or if it halted for another reason.

In some cases, holding the power button for a bit longer, about 20 seconds or so, will allow the device to reset.

µsansa

Nobody was talking about the “soft reset” or the issue I was experiencing they were talking about the “convenience” of the two buttons thus not on track. I realize they perform basically the same function that was not the issue.

I tried the “soft reset” repeatedly and was unable to reset my clip+ until I plugged it into my computer USB port then it magically came to life. I don’t know whether to send it in for a new one or just wait and see if it happens again. It was just plain DOA until I plugged it back in to the computer.  It seems to be working ok so far. 

Let’s take a moment and just look again to see what was said and by whom, shall we?

@hy_tek wrote:

Nobody was talking about the “soft reset” or the issue I was experiencing they were talking about the “convenience” of the two buttons thus not on track. I realize they perform basically the same function that was not the issue.

The very 1st response to your original post was:

@summerlove wrote:
I would try doing the reset more than once , for some reason mine took a couple of tries to work. 

Seems someone was talking about the soft reset after all, wouldn’t you say?

@summerlove also wrote:
I have arthritis though, so holding that little button in is not always easy , it may have just been that which caused the problem (I miss the slider, which I could work sooo much easier!!)

To which you, hy_tek  replied:

@hy_tek wrote:
I agree I like the slider button better. This new on / off button is hard to operate unless you have tiny fingers.

Neutron-bob then submitted his 2 cents, as well as another comment by summerlove to which you came back and said:

@hy_tek wrote:
Ok you people are getting way off track. This thread is about the clip locking up not the slider button. If you want to talk about the slider then start another thread of your own please. Thanks.

Looks to me as if you were right in the thick of it, hy_tek ; as off-topic as anyone else. Or is it OK for you to get ‘off track’ since you started the thread? Hmmmm?

A little diversion has to be expected & tolerated in these forums. There are multi-page threads here that no one even remembers what the original subject was! This miniscule detour wasn’t even close to that. In fact, it’s one of the moderator’s duties to steer threads back on-topic once they go astray. You’ll notice microsansa didn’t see it as an issue. so maybe you shouldn’t either.

But back on-topic . . . your player seems to be operating normally now, but if some electronic weirdness occured once, it’s possible for it to occur again, so if you’re leery about it see about getting it exchanged. Maybe it was affected by all the RF signals present on an aiplane, which is why they ask everyone to turn off all their electronic devices, to avoid any interference with the plane’s systems.

Then again, it could’ve just been suffering from altitude sickness. :stuck_out_tongue:

Let’s take a moment and just look again to see what was said and by whom, shall we?

@hy_tek wrote:

@summerlove wrote:
I would try doing the reset more than once , for some reason mine took a couple of tries to work. 

@summerlove also wrote:
I have arthritis though, so holding that little button in is not always easy , it may have just been that which caused the problem (I miss the slider, which I could work sooo much easier!!)

@hy_tek wrote:
I agree I like the slider button better. This new on / off button is hard to operate unless you have tiny fingers.

Neutron-bob then submitted his 2 cents, as well as another comment by summerlove to which you came back and said:

@hy_tek wrote:

Looks to me as if you were right in the thick of it, hy_tek ; as off-topic as anyone else. Or is it OK for you to get ‘off track’ since you started the thread? Hmmmm?

A little diversion has to be expected & tolerated in these forums. There are multi-page threads here that no one even remembers what the original subject was! This miniscule detour wasn’t even close to that. In fact, it’s one of the moderator’s duties to steer threads back on-topic once they go astray. You’ll notice microsansa didn’t see it as an issue, so maybe you shouldn’t either.

But back on-topic . . . your player seems to be operating normally now, but if some electronic weirdness occured once, it’s possible for it to occur again, so if you’re leery about it see about getting it exchanged. Maybe it was affected by all the RF signals present on an aiplane, which is why they ask everyone to turn off all their electronic devices, to avoid any interference with the plane’s systems.

Then again, it could’ve just been suffering from altitude sickness. :stuck_out_tongue:

@hy_tek wrote:

@summerlove wrote:

@summerlove also wrote:

@hy_tek wrote:

@hy_tek wrote:

A little diversion has to be expected & tolerated in these forums. There are multi-page threads here that no one even remembers what the original subject was! This miniscule detour wasn’t even close to that. In fact, it’s one of the moderator’s duties to steer threads back on-topic once they go astray. You’ll notice our mod,  microsansa didn’t see it as an issue.

Wow I am flattered you wasted all that time belaboring such a ridiculous point. I feel so special.  You need a girlfriend or something…is this what you do all day Tapeworm go through message boards and right wrongs in obscure posts? Perhaps in the future you should keep your comments “on topic” and not make “personal” observations for which you are unqualified. The topic was the Sansa Clip not me.

Message Edited by hy_tek on 11-05-2009 08:13 AM

@hy_tek wrote:
Wow I am flattered you wasted all that time belaboring such a ridiculous point. I feel so special.  You need a girlfriend or something…is this what you do all day Tapeworm go through message boards and right wrongs in obscure posts? Perhaps in the future you should keep your comments “on topic” and not make “personal” observations for which you are unqualified. The topic was the Sansa Clip not me.
Message Edited by hy_tek on 11-05-2009 08:13 AM

Tapeworm’s wife might object to his getting a girlfriend.:stuck_out_tongue:

Well mine has locked and shut off up two times. The first time it was because i was storing some pictures that i scanned on the microsd. 2nd time i was playing a flac file , everytime i would listen to that song it would freeze and turn off. I deleted the pictures and the song and held the reset button to fix.

The problem resides in that FLAC file.  I would try retransferring a new copy to see if the problem resolves.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy: