Clip doesn't understand my ID tags

Hi,

why does my clip store all my recording under “unknown”?

The only thing it shows me is the file name. It doesn’t appear to be reading the MP3 tags at all.

I use Soundjiucer mainly to rip CDs etc, and am wondering if the clip doesn’t support IDv3 tags… Could that be the problem? Any other suggestions?

I have just updated the fw to the .20 release too.

Cheers

Alan

If it shows you the file name, that means that the file name is in whatever tags the Clip is reading, as the Clip only displays tags.  Use a tool like Mp3tag to determine in which tag Soundjuicer stored the file name.  If I remember correctly, the Clip reads IDv32 tags, not IDv31.  Probably you just need to reconfigure Soundjuicer to store tags appropriately (if it can do this).

The Clip reads id3 v1 tags, but I’d advise using v2.3 tagging.

PromisedPlanet has good advice, use mp3tag and follow the general instructions herefor best results.

If you’re still running firmware V18, make sure you follow those instructions or you may encounter a known issue. If you’re on V20, the “tag bug” is fixed now.

Missing tags for any of the catagories (artist, album, genre, etc) will result in “UNKNOWN”  being displayed so feel your way around mp3tag and learn how to consistently tag all your MP3s, it’s well worth the effort.

The Clip can be finicky when it comes to the genre field.  For example, it will accept Audiobook but reject Audiobooks.

@click wrote:
The Clip reads id3 v1 tags, but I’d advise using v2.3 tagging.

PromisedPlanet has good advice, use mp3tag and follow the general instructions herefor best results.

Thanks all.

I use Ubuntu Linux so had to get mp3tag running under Wine (Wine Is Not an Emulator) which was fine. Having selected all and saved, as described in the thread above, all seems to be fine. :smileyvery-happy:

Thanks again

Al

Hi Alan,

Ahhhh A fellow NiX user, very nice… Gnome or KDE?

mp3 tag editor is nice…

~<{Looks around}>~  lol

sudo apt-get install libMTP

:wink:

Gnome currently. But I’m not that biased. KDE 4 looks nice, so I might give that a go soon. I run a company here in the UK providing Open Source Consulting and Support Services. So I am “very” familiar with Linux - our entire firm runs on free software :slight_smile:

We are a “Redmond Free Zone” (Apart from the stuff we need for doing interation testing that is)

libMTP looks interesting… Thanks. Although I am happy as it is - just lookinglike any other file storage system.

Cheers

Al
http://www.theopenlearningcentre.com

If you’re interested in a nice native LInux tagger, check out EasyTag.  It’s very nice but be aware that some of the genre tags it writes don’t get interpreted properly by the Clip.  It shows lots of promise…

This message brought to you by another Ubuntu user, btw.

I’ve tried out Ubuntu but haven’t completely made the switch from Windows due to the various Windows-only apps I use.  They’re getting fewer and fewer, though.  One of the big blocks for me was MTP, as I’m a dedicated Sansa Connect user.  But I see in an earlier post that there’s an MTP implementation for Linux?  If so, that’ll take me one step closer …

@emarkd wrote:
If you’re interested in a nice native LInux tagger, check out EasyTag. …

I tried that but it didn’t seem to do the correct changes to the tags for my clip.

The Windows app was really a breeze. Open all my files, select them all and save them. That was it! Seeing as it ran perfectly under Wine it wasn’t really an issue.

Cheers,

There are many Linux users out there: We track news items and announcements and there is a huge momentum behind OSS right now… Sun buys MySQL for $1bn, Yahoo bought Zimbra for quite a bit and there are some big user announcements too: The latest was from France where a police department are moving everything to OSS - all 70,000 desktops, and all their servers etc. They bought just 27 licenses for MS Office in the last three years :slight_smile: lol

I track some of this on my blog: http://www.theopensourcerer.com

lord_alan wrote:

Yahoo bought Zimbra for quite a bit

But Microsoft is trying to buy Yahoo.  :mansurprised: