Clearing Deleted Voice Recordings from Database

Greetings. 8gb Fuze has been great, but one annoying problem:

If I delete a voice recording via windows, while the fuze is connected to my PC, the deleted recordings are still listed on the Fuze menus. The only way to remove the entries for the deleted files is to manually “delete recording” on the fuze for each file. Is this the normal behavior? It would be nice if the fuze recognized that the files have been deleted and automatcally removed those entries from the list when it is unplugged from the pc.

It’s funny I was just having this problem for a week and just found out the answer today (so you got lucky!!!)

Put your Sansa in a different USB Mode (I think it’s Auto-Detect) and see if it shows up on your CPU…

IDK Why but usually my Fuze deleted the recordings completely without a trace…but this past week or two it would still show up in the listing.

@lamine wrote:

Greetings. 8gb Fuze has been great, but one annoying problem:

If I delete a voice recording via windows, while the fuze is connected to my PC, the deleted recordings are still listed on the Fuze menus. The only way to remove the entries for the deleted files is to manually “delete recording” on the fuze for each file. Is this the normal behavior? It would be nice if the fuze recognized that the files have been deleted and automatcally removed those entries from the list when it is unplugged from the pc.

It should do this during the “Refreshing Your Media” initialization at start-up and after un-plugging from the computer. You may have to delete them while connected in MTP mode (I don’t trust Auto-Defect). I know if you want to edit the file names to something other than the default date/time stamp that MTP mode is required otherwise the new file names won’t be saved.

Alternatively, you can delete (in MSC mode only) the ‘mtable.sys’ file in the root directory of the Fuze while connected to your computer. This is the database file and if deleted, it will completely re-build a new one during the refresh, rather than just updating exsiting data.

OK Thanks for your help!

I have a sanza fuze 4Gb, and have MSC mode selected. To remove mtable.sys did not work. The recordings I have deleted from Windows still show in the player (but they are very fast to play - because they don’t exist on the player.) It would be great to have a choice “Update database” in the Voice menu, or that the inititalization at start-up actually checked which recording files there are in Voice.

I had that same problem a couple of months ago. Deleting the mtable.sys file did not work.

I had to manually delete every one of over 24 recordings.  It took a long time and was a real PITA.

Seems like a true glitch.

I had the same problem - but even when I tried to manually delete the recordings - said deleted but was still listed. I changed USB mode to MTP - YUCK!! Went to the recording directory - they were all listed - I then deleted them. unplugged the fuze - they were STILL THERE!!!

I changed mode to MSC -  plugged back into the the computer did not see them… in the recording - voice directory. Changed back to MTP - checked the files were not there on the computer - but they were showing up on the fuze… ARGGGH!!!

K then switched back to MSC mode -now said refreshing - which it said EVERY OTHER TIME TOO!!! but this time lo and behold - they were GONE!!

I was getting a little annoyed having to do this - any idea why this happens? What is going on?

What is the best way to remove the voice recording listings - once I take them off the fuze and then convert to mp3 to put back into audiobook directory…

What is the best order - do I have to work with them in MTP mode? I really hope not…

@nech770 wrote:

I had the same problem - but even when I tried to manually delete the recordings - said deleted but was still listed. I changed USB mode to MTP - YUCK!! Went to the recording directory - they were all listed - I then deleted them. unplugged the fuze - they were STILL THERE!!!

I changed mode to MSC -  plugged back into the the computer did not see them… in the recording - voice directory. Changed back to MTP - checked the files were not there on the computer - but they were showing up on the fuze… ARGGGH!!!

K then switched back to MSC mode -now said refreshing - which it said EVERY OTHER TIME TOO!!! but this time lo and behold - they were GONE!!

I was getting a little annoyed having to do this - any idea why this happens? What is going on?

What is the best way to remove the voice recording listings - once I take them off the fuze and then convert to mp3 to put back into audiobook directory…

What is the best order - do I have to work with them in MTP mode? I really hope not…

 

I’m afraid, there is no simple solution yet. Note that there is a similar thread over here. In fact the problem of deleting recordings is the same for voice and FM.

Hey guys,I encountered the same problem some days ago.To get rid of the filenames I had to FORMAT(!!!)my player.After formatting I don’t have the filenames.But if I delete another recording through the PC the same problem will occur.HOPE SANDISK SEES THIS IMPORTANT POST AND TAKES ACTIONS FOR THIS FRUSTRATING GLITCH.

Thanks,

SR 

Thanks for confirming that I am not going CRAZY and it is a real issue

@sr_rox wrote:

Hey guys,I encountered the same problem some days ago.To get rid of the filenames I had to FORMAT(!!!)my player.After formatting I don’t have the filenames.But if I delete another recording through the PC the same problem will occur.HOPE SANDISK SEES THIS IMPORTANT POST AND TAKES ACTIONS FOR THIS FRUSTRATING GLITCH.

 

Thanks,

SR 

No, you don’t need to format your device. Have a look here.

I would prefer to continue the discussion on the other thread. Could you agree on that? And I would suggest that you rename the topic of your thread into something more general, like Howto delete FM and voice recordings.

The solutions I read here (admitting my searching prowess may not be up to par!) did not work for me.

But I toyed around and discovered one that DID!  (yay!)

  1. Connect your Fuze to PC

  2. Locate your VOICE folder in Windows Explorer

  3. RENAME this folder. (I chose “V”)

—note, merely *deleting* this folder is not enough, when you reconnect the Fuze, it recreates a VOICE folder and repopulates all those phantom recordings maddeningly again.

  1. As noted above, the Fuze will recreate a VOICE folder, but now those phantom recordings must be mapped to the folder you renamed.  A nice clean, empty directory (from the Fuze view) is mine once more.  (If you reconnect your Fuze to PC, you’ll still see the renamed folder.  I’m leaving mine alone though!)

Hope that helps if you haven’t found a workable solution.  (It was ticking me off.)

I assume my NV is re-syncing.<a href"=http://www.edmontonescortasiam.com">Edmonton Asian Escorts</a> I accidentally cut it on with the drives out.<a href"=http://www.edmontonescortasiam.com">Edmonton Asian Escort</a> Now drives 1-3 and the power button are on constantly and <a href"=http://www.edmontonescortasiam.com">Edmonton Escorts</a>drive 4 is flashing. And I can’t locate it in raidar etc.<a href"=http://www.edmontonescortasiam.com">Edmonton Escort</a> If so any idea of how long ti would take all four drive are 500gigs. I’m waiting to migrate my data to my Ultra 4.

well that’s good to know…but the renamed folders start piling up?  You rename them V1, V2, V3, etc?

I went over to the other link that was suggested to continue the thread.  Ironically, here’s what I get:  (!)

sandisklogo

An Unexpected Error has occurred.

An Unexpected Error has occurred.

  • Sorry, your request failed. A notification has been sent to the development team for investigation.

Exception ID: 30EACCF6

Please click the Back button on your browser.


@blackdog_sansa wrote:

 

I went over to the other link that was suggested to continue the thread.  Ironically, here’s what I get:  (!)

 

sandisklogo

An Unexpected Error has occurred.

 

 

An Unexpected Error has occurred.

  • Sorry, your request failed. A notification has been sent to the development team for investigation.

Exception ID: 30EACCF6

Please click the Back button on your browser.


That link is in a post from over 2 years ago. When the forum went through its face-lift and different boards were combined several months back many links were broken.

This thread is from 2008 and it is now 2015. I deleted mtable.sys and the system refreshed itself with the same list of all recordings ever made. The directory record -> voice is empty but I still have the ancient history.

I have deleted in the Sansa all the “recordings” but they still remain.

I wonder if there has been an update to my sansa bh09128mtk-4gb? I haven’t updated since purchasing it.

Thanks,

Ilan

If you format the player, everything you have put on it will be erased. Of course if there is anything besides the voice recordings on there (like music, audio books, etc.) and you want those, you will have to re-transfer them.

On the first page of the forum there is a firmware update thread.

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Sansa-Fuze/Sansa-Fuze-Firmware-Update-01-02-31-amp-02-03-33/td-p/139175

Go to Settings/System Settings/Info on your unit and see if your firmware is the latest (and last)  version. The firmware in your Info will start with 1 or 2.

2 is not an upgrade of 1.  It is for an invisibly different hardware version of the Fuze.

If you have 1.02.31 or 2.03.33 installed, you have the latest firmware.

If not,  follow the MANUAL install instructions. Don’t install the Updater–there won’t be any more updates.  I don’t know if they ever fixed the Recordings bug–maybe they did–but it’s good to have the latest firmware anyway.

1 Like

Thanks. I have the latest software so there is nothing to update.

Maybe I will look at the list as “garbage in, garbage out”.

I have always used the computer when SanDisk is attached as a usb to download all voice files.

So, since I know that the directory will always be empty, I can just ignore the garbage.

It is clear that there is a bug, but the device is too old to fix.

Thanks for letting me know that at least I have the best software that I can get.