Can't write files to e200v2

I have a Sansa e200v2. I run a linux computer- Sidux with KDE 4 as window manager. When I try to copy files via drag and drop, I get an error message stating that it can’t make folders. When I try and copy individual songs, it say’s it can’t write to the disk. Before this began, i was copying music onto the player and hit eject and unplugged it, thinking it to be removed. So I’m pretty sure I caused damage. I was just wondering if I could solve this by formatting it and then reinstalling the drivers. If so, where can I find them and how do I properly install them? Again, I’m not using window’s, and I don’t know much about linux. Please help me.

Whatever drivers are needed are part & parcel of Windows and its Media Player.

So basically, I’m screwed? Or I have to buy a new one.

Not necessarilly screwed, but you are going to have to plunge into Linux a little.

Go into Settings/USB Mode and put the unit in MSC mode. That makes it act like any other USB thumb drive. Can your Linux handle a USB thumb drive? Those are the drivers you need to find. 

The other mode, MTP, is the one that works with Windows Media Player . You may have switched to that, and that one is probably not going to work with Linux. 

My player doesn’t have USB mode settings. Or at least it’s not under settings. I’ve had this player for close to a year, and it’s always worked until now. I think something was damaged when i unplugged it. I’m just not quite sure what needs to be done to fix it. I’m not even sure that it’s a software problem and not a hardware problem. For all I know the disk it’s self is damaged. Another thing. When I open the MUSIC folder in my window manager, it shows there being no files. I also checked for hidden files. However, when I turn the player on and go to music, it shows some artists and songs, but the songs don’t actually play. I tryed doing Reset All, but the songs remained.

@deep_poet_02 wrote:
My player doesn’t have USB mode settings. Or at least it’s not under settings. I’ve had this player for close to a year, and it’s always worked until now. I think something was damaged when i unplugged it. I’m just not quite sure what needs to be done to fix it. I’m not even sure that it’s a software problem and not a hardware problem. For all I know the disk it’s self is damaged. Another thing. When I open the MUSIC folder in my window manager, it shows there being no files. I also checked for hidden files. However, when I turn the player on and go to music, it shows some artists and songs, but the songs don’t actually play. I tryed doing Reset All, but the songs remained.

Not sure why you marked c1u's response as the Accepted Solution then. You’ve got several separate issues here.

First, if you don’t have a USB Mode switch in the SETTINGS menu, it’s because your player still has the original firmware that came on it from the factory. This is a known issue and was corrected 2 updates ago. You need to update the firmware on your player. Check the shaded posts at the top of the e200 series board for the latest Firmware post. Follow the instructions to install it manually. Do not install the Sansa Updater. There won’t be any more updates for this model, so you won’t need it.

Two, your player doesn’t have a hard disk that can be damaged. It uses flash memory, no moving parts.

Three, music transferred in one USB mode cannot be seen while connected in the other. Especially in Linux. Follow c1u's advice once you get the firmware updated and it could be alright.

Forth, ‘Reset All’ only resets your individual & personal settings. What you are probably thinking about is formatting, which can be done, but see if you can bring it back to life with less drastic measures first.

I’d suggest browsing through the FAQs. There’s a plethora of knowledge and informations stored there. :wink:

Tapeworm is right. You really should update the firmware, even if it means borrowing someone’s Windows machine. It could solve a lot of problems. 

If you have copies of your files elsewhere, you could Format under Settings/System Settings. That will wipe out all files you have added and return the unit to the clean slate it was when you opened the box. (It won’t affect the firmware.) 

Looking at the Music folder is not the same as seeing what the unit displays as Music.

The Music folder is one of the folders seen (though it’s hidden by default)  in MSC mode. 

However, the Music as listed on the unit is information it reads from ID3 tags–Artist, Song, Album, etc.–of mp3s anywhere in any folder on the unit. You could easily have an empty Music folder and still have the unit show plenty of music. 

Since you can see Music, though, maybe you are in MSC mode–though I don’t know how you would be since the default for that first, garbage software was MTP. 

Songs that won’t play could be files that the unit can’t read. For instance, if you sent over .m4a files from your iTunes folder, it might show the filenames, but it can’t play them.

Try the update, and let us know how you’re doing. There are some knowledgeable Linux users here and on the Fuze forum–the Fuze firmware is very similar to the E200v2–so try some searches, too, even if you start by just searching “Linux” itself. 

Message Edited by c1u31355 on 07-03-2009 10:29 PM

Time to enable the Mode of Sansa Champions  (MSC)!!

Start with your trusty v2 device turned OFF.  Slide the top HOLD switch to the right (orange showing).  Now, press and hold the << button while connecting to your Linux-based lifeform.

The Sansa will power up in USB mode, easily mounted on your computer, as a flash drive.

Here’s the correct firmware, version 03.01.16.  Drag and drop the e200pa.bin firmware file to the root directory of your Sansa, after unzipping the file.

After transfer, slide the HOLD switch back to the left, and unplug.

Your new firmware will install, and then you can manually select MSC as your default USB mode.

Oh, and KDE is the coolest thing since the pre-sliced dill pickle.  Enjoy your ansa in the Linux environment, it should work quite well!

Bob  :smileyvery-happy: