Best replacement cable for Clip?

Hi all,

Lost my short USB A to Mini B 5 pin cable recently. Contacted Sandisk for a replacement but they basically said, “Eh, go buy it.” I’ve read in some other threads that some cables do not transfer data properly and only charge. Do you guys have recommendations?

In addition, I’d like to keep the cable short (< 1.5 ft) for easy carrying. I checked monoprice but for one cable the shipping makes it much more expensive. I’m looking on amazon but it’s so overwhelming the number of choices and varying reviews (any given product has people saying it’s great, others saying it doesn’t work).

Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks.

USB cables are generic; just make sure the item description says it’s for both power and data (some cables are power only).  I have gotten good deals at eBay–for example, try looking for “retractable mini USB cable” and get 99-cent shipped (!) offers. 

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?rt=nc&LH_BIN=1&_nkw=retractable+mini+usb+cable&_sc=1&_sop=15&_sticky=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m301

For a standalone company, I still like meritline.com–it generally ships from Asia and so shipping can be around 2 weeks to the U.S., but I’ve always received my items and its specials can be super.  I have a bunch of USB cables from meritline, at $1 or less each (including shipping).

Also, Fry’s Electronics has been having rebate offers for the past month or so on retractable USB cables from Emerge, which carry a lifetime warranty (always nice to have!).  After rebate, the price has been about $1 (plus tax on the original purchase, a stamp to mail the rebate in, and any shipping (low) on the item to begin with, if you don’t have a store nearby to pick the item up at).  Fry’s puts up weekly specials each Friday–you can get at its ads through frys.com.

USB cables are generic (although quality can vary); just make sure the item description says it’s for both power and data (some cables are power only, as you note).  I have gotten good deals at eBay–for example, try looking for “retractable mini USB cable” and get 99-cent shipped (!) offers.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?rt=nc&LH_BIN=1&_nkw=retractable+mini+usb+cable&_sc=1&_sop=15&_sticky=…

For a standalone company, I still like meritline.com–it generally ships from Asia and so shipping can be around 2 weeks to the U.S., but I’ve always received my items and its specials can be super.  I have a bunch of USB cables from meritline, at $1 or less each (including shipping).

Also, Fry’s Electronics has been having rebate offers for the past month or so, about every second or third week, on nice quality retractable USB cables from ReTrak/Emerge, which even carry a lifetime warranty (always nice to have–and it says something about the quality).  After rebate, the price has been about $1 (plus tax on the original purchase, a stamp to mail the rebate in, and any shipping (low) on the item to begin with, if you don’t have a store nearby to pick the item up at).  Fry’s puts up weekly specials each Friday–you can get at its ads through frys.com or search at the site under ReTrak (I don’t see any specials on the item right now, though).

USB cables are generic (although quality can vary); just make sure the item description says it’s for both power and data (some cables are power only, as you note).  I have gotten good deals at eBay–for example, try looking for “retractable mini USB cable” and get 99-cent shipped (!) offers.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?rt=nc&LH_BIN=1&_nkw=retractable+mini+usb+cable&_sc=1&_sop=15&_sticky=…

Also, Fry’s Electronics has been having rebate offers for the past month or so, about every second or third week, on nice quality retractable USB cables from ReTrak/Emerge, which even carry a lifetime warranty (always nice to have–and it says something about the quality).  After rebate, the price has been about $1 (plus tax on the original purchase, a stamp to mail the rebate in, and any shipping (low) on the item to begin with, if you don’t have a store nearby to pick the item up at).  Fry’s puts up weekly specials each Friday–you can get at its ads through frys.com or search at the site under ReTrak (I don’t see any specials on the item right now, though).

By the way, I agree with you:  I really like the SanDisk USB cable, as its short size makes it extremely handy, especially when travelling around (I keep one in my headphone case).  Would be nice if SanDisk sold it separately, with bargain shipping.