best methods to sync lots of music

Hello. I have a 2gb clip+ and like it - I just got a 16gb card for it and want to sync lots of music - to fill the card.  Being used to itunes, I thought it would be easier, but I found that on my pc running win7, media player was very slow and lagging (i do need a pc upgrade).  I also tried media monkey and the interface was confusing.  Then i tried MSC mode and drag and drop - no problems with that but it also was slow.  So here are the 2 questions.

1. What media players have you used that work great for syncing? Has anyone used winamp or foobar with success?

2. I notice that the sd card gets formatted with various folders when it is inserted into the player?  Would it work if I simply hooked the sd card up to my pc with a sd/usb adapter and dragged and dropped the music folders onto the sd card directly without it being in the players itself?

Thanks!

J

1. I use mediamonkey.  Always seemed straightforward to me, but there are a lot of options (thankfully).  Can’t comment on anything else, I drag and drop if I’m not using MM.

2. Yep that would work.  That’s the same way I do it.  You can ignore any folders that get put on there automatically too, if you want.  I just put everything in the root directory.

summerlove wrote:

1. I use mediamonkey.  Always seemed straightforward to me, but there are a lot of options (thankfully).  Can’t comment on anything else, I drag and drop if I’m not using MM.

2 . Yep that would work.  That’s the same way I do it.  You can ignore any folders that get put on there automatically too, if you want.  I just put everything in the root directory.

Does it also load faster that way? Seems like it would, but I never tried it that way back when I had my Fuze. I don’t have a card right now, but at some point I’m sure I will.

@marvin_martian wrote:

@summerlove wrote:

2 . Yep that would work.  That’s the same way I do it.  You can ignore any folders that get put on there automatically too, if you want.  I just put everything in the root directory.

Does it also load faster that way? Seems like it would, but I never tried it that way back when I had my Fuze. I don’t have a card right now, but at some point I’m sure I will.

My device is in MTP so yeah it’s much faster!  With a device in MSC I don’t know.  In all honesty I rarely plug the device into the computer if I can help it and it’s only in MTP so I can use tracks from both drives in a playlist.