Audacity: Sound card requirements?

Update re Audacity & recording with Realtek built-in audio…

Well, I updated Audacity from ver Audacity-win-1.2.6 to ver Audacity-win-unicode-1.3.9 (Beta) and now for the first time I can record streaming audio and other internal audio…

In Audacity Preferences>Devices I have selected “Realtek HDA Primary Input” as a recording device and it now records properly… I have had no joy changing these settings multiple times on the Realtek Audio Manager side of things.

Also I can now more easily set the precise recording level in this updated ver of Audacity, this is a very finicky setting in the earlier ver for some reason and I believe that this was part of the problem.

Interestingly, the earlier ver Audacity 1.2.6 now also records correctly if I run that version. I assume settings are shared across versions (2 different versions can be installed but may not run simultaneously). However it remains very easy to completely mess things up again if I attempt to change settings in the older version… 

I would be interested whether updating Audacity works for anyone else attempting to record streaming audio or other internal sounds with Realtek built-in audio support…