Can you record on the Sansa Fuze and burn it to a CD?

Hi–I am trying to record myself playing trombone for an audition CD. I recorded the song on my Sansa Fuze, but when I try to burn it to CD, it doesn’t work.

Is there a way to do this, and if so, how? I will need very simple instructions because I’m new to all this.

HELP!!! I need this audition CD before 1/24.

Thanks!

Georgie

Go in thru explorer (“My Computer”) and try to find the recording on your fuze. Right click the file on the fuze. Copy> Then to to your desktop> Paste. Then try to burn. If this is an audtion piece im not sure how good the quality will be comming off of your fuze. GOOD Luck tho.

First off, what OS (Operating System) are you using (as in, Linux, Macintosh, or Windoze)?

If you  are using Linux, I can tell you how to do this easily using a program called K3B. If you are using Windoze or Macintosh, I’d be unable to help as I’ve very little experience with proprietary software.

@conversionbox wrote:
Go in thru explorer (“My Computer”) and try to find the recording on your fuze. Right click the file on the fuze. Copy> Then to to your desktop> Paste. Then try to burn. If this is an audtion piece im not sure how good the quality will be comming off of your fuze. GOOD Luck tho.

“The Windows Process”

The Fuze will record you & your ‘slide-harp’ in .wav format. You probably need to convert this to .mp3 format to copy it to a CD. There’s a free program, Audacity that will do this, or I’m sure there are others.

One thing though, if you’re trying to impress someone with the audition recording (and I assume you are; that’s the purpose of an audition), you might want to consider a different recording technique. The voice recorder on the Fuze (or any portable .mp3 player for that matter) is tolerable for ‘voice’ recordings; making little reminder notes to yourself, recording your spouse or significant other while they sleep to prove to them that yes, they DO snore! or even recording a lecture or class for review later.

But it is definitely not a good recording quality to show off your skills with your ‘bone’. Get a real microphone and plug it into your computer and use Audacity to record from the line in. You can even ‘tweak’ the result and apply special effects if you want to. Then export it as a MP3 and copy to a CD.

@tapeworm wrote:

The Fuze will record you & your ‘slide-harp’ in .wav format. You probably need to convert this to .mp3 format to copy it to a CD. There’s a free program, Audacity that will do this, or I’m sure there are others.

One thing though, if you’re trying to impress someone with the audition recording (and I assume you are; that’s the purpose of an audition), you might want to consider a different recording technique. The voice recorder on the Fuze (or any portable .mp3 player for that matter) is tolerable for ‘voice’ recordings; making little reminder notes to yourself, recording your spouse or significant other while they sleep to prove to them that yes, they DO snore! or even recording a lecture or class for review later.

But it is definitely not a good recording quality to show off your skills with your ‘bone’. Get a real microphone and plug it into your computer and use Audacity to record from the line in. You can even ‘tweak’ the result and apply special effects if you want to. Then export it as a MP3 and copy to a CD.

Make sure you download the LAME mp3 plug in (Lame is not a refrence to the quality it is the name) And My Fuze is awesome for Recording Lectures.

@georgie wrote:

Hi–I am trying to record myself playing trombone for an audition CD. I recorded the song on my Sansa Fuze, but when I try to burn it to CD, it doesn’t work.

Is there a way to do this, and if so, how? I will need very simple instructions because I’m new to all this.

HELP!!! I need this audition CD before 1/24.

Thanks!

Georgie

Ahh ha ha ha ha ha… you made me wet myself… if you are trying to join a band that accepts the quilty of the Fuze recording then it is not a band worth joining… I have to go change now…

Message Edited by hazza on 01-09-2009 05:03 PM

Okay, I realize NOW the quality is poor. (I’m a newbie.) So, I’ve downloaded Audacity, and we have a microphone, but I can’t hear anything I record. The bars are moving around like there is sound there, but we can’t hear it.

Anyone willing to help us with recording to Audacity?

Thanks!

Georgie

Not to be a smart-@ss, but are your speakers on?

@conversionbox wrote:

Make sure you download the LAME mp3 plug in (Lame is not a refrence to the quality it is the name) And My Fuze is awesome for Recording Lectures.

But would you use it to record your band?

Of course not. The recording quality is very low. Fine for speech (although a lot of background noise is also picked up), but that’s about it. With a micophone the size of the head of a pin, it’s not designed for anything more.

Cute gadget, but kinda like cameras on cell phones . . . pretty crappy. Novelty only.

@tapeworm wrote:

The wav recorded by Fuze is 22 khz sampling frequency, hopefully in mono when recording from microphone.  The burning program wants wav or other uncompressed at 44 khz stereo to burn a CD (though many will automatically convert from mp3 etc.)  Giving the file a round trip ticket to mp3 land to get there is just going to degrade it further.  

There *are* mp3 players that can great music recordings.  They would have a microphone or line-in jack, level controls,  and record to 44.1 khz or better wav or lossless.  No reason not to use the PC for this though if it’s reasonably close to where the tromboning will take place so long as the microphone doesn’t pick up the fan noise.

instead of thre Fuze - think about checking into a ZOOM H-2 or a H-4

http://www.bswusa.com/proditem.asp?item=H-2

$180 for the H-2 and it’s something you’ll be able to use for years to record in studio and live performances.

@tapeworm wrote:

@conversionbox wrote:

But would you use it to record your band?

Of course not. The recording quality is very low. Fine for speech (although a lot of background noise is also picked up), but that’s about it. With a micophone the size of the head of a pin, it’s not designed for anything more.

Cute gadget, but kinda like cameras on cell phones . . . pretty crappy. Novelty only

I did one time to record an impromtu “Jam” I use it occasionally like keith richards and his tape recorder that is beside his bead (thats how he wrote Satsifaction) When something comes to me I play or sing it into my fuze and then go back and do it the right way later.

Yes, the speakers are on. Do I have to get Windows XP to recognize the microphone?

Thanks!

Georgie

It’s been a couple years since I did anything like this, but as I recall there was something in Audacity that wasn’t set right off the bat too. I finally figured it out and got it to work. I just can’t remember what it was.

Make sure your microphone is plugged into the correct jack in back of the computer.

Make sure you have it set for Mic and not Line In.

Make sure your Audio I/O is set up properly in Preferences.

If all else fails, consult the Help menu. :wink:

@georgie wrote:

Yes, the speakers are on. Do I have to get Windows XP to recognize the microphone?

Thanks!

Georgie

First see if XP has the mic as a recording device. In Control Panel open “Sounds and Audio Devices”, click the “Audio” tab. Normally in the “Sound recording” section you will see the mic input of your sound card. (eg RealTek HD Audio Input). At the bottom is a checkbox “Use only default devices”. If you have more than one audio input remove the tick.

Test to see if Windows can record from the mic. The easiest program to use is “Sound Recorder” (Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Entertainment)

If you can get that to record then XP can see your mic, if not then Audacity won’t either. If it can then it’s an Audacity config issue.

Hi–wow, thanks for all your help.

I have tried the microphone in all 3 of the jacks on the back of my computer where the sound card is. I have even plugged it in, and restarted the computer to see if the computer would recognize it on start up. I did this for all 3 jacks, and it doesn’t work.

I have checked my settings in “sound and audio devices properties” in control panel. Under “audio”, for sound recording, I only have 1 option, which is my sound card (Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit). Is this the problem? Is it that my sound card cannot support a microphone?

The microphone is not being picked up on Windows Sound recorder.

However I have tried it on another recording device, and it does work, so the microphone is not defective.

HELP! I’m under a deadline and at this point am almost desperate enough to use the Fuze recording.

Thanks again for all your help.

Georgie

SBlive will have a mic input.  Mine had 2.  Have you found the “recording control” mixing panel?

Yours might look a little different, but this is the general idea.  Make sure the microphone is selected, and

the level is up.

Yep, checked the recording control on the mixing panel. And on “sounds and devices” on the control panel.

My concern is that the microphone is not showing up in “sounds & devices” through the control panel. For recording devices it just says Sound Blaster Live.  If I click on “volume” under the audio tab, recording devices option, then I get an option to select a microphone. Tried it, still doesn’t work.

I’ve even gone into Creative Sound Mixer and checked the settings there.

I’ve tried the help screen through Audacity, but it’s not even working through Windows sound recorder.

Do I just chuck this whole idea and give up?

I’m running out of time.

HELP!!!

Georgie

@georgie wrote:

My concern is that the microphone is not showing up in “sounds & devices” through the control panel. For recording devices it just says Sound Blaster Live.  If I click on “volume” under the audio tab, recording devices option, then I get an option to select a microphone. Tried it, still doesn’t work.

Do not expect Windows to “see” the microphone as a device, it can only go as far as the sound card recording device.

The jacks on the sound card should have symbols on them, one should have an arrow pointing out, another pointing in. The mic input is the one pointing in.

When you clicked that Volume button, did it have a tick in the box at the bottom? If it doesn’t, then do so and try the sound recorder again. BTW You have to click the record button to see anything.