8gb silver vs black display britghtness

I compared my silver 8GB clip with a friends 8GB black clip.

Just found out that his screen’s brightness level is somewhat 2-3 times higher at same firmware setting.

I also compared my clip with an 2GB pink gen1 clip, same problem, my brightness is somewhat much lower.

Is it because of the smoked glass covering my clip (can’t see screen edges, other models have clear-type display cover) ?

I need an answer. 

Yep–the well-known issue with the 4gb (silver) Clip.  Although I don’t believe that it’s a 2-3x factor.

Sorry for not using search this time :slight_smile:

The smoked glass retains the light level coming from the clip’s screen.

Not much of an hassle, but i thought my clip was defective.

Thanks. 

Glad to help.  This was raised as an issue earlier, and an earlier firmware revision was supposed to brighten the 4gb silver Clip’s screen to try to compensate.  I found it minimal at best (maybe 10% better?  but hey, better than nothing).  I don’t know if that’s been retained in later firmwares (while the 4gb Clip is only available in silver, can the firmware differentiate between the black and silver 8gb Clips?  a good question for SanDisk!).

@miikerman wrote:
Glad to help.  This was raised as an issue earlier, and an earlier firmware revision was supposed to brighten the 4gb silver Clip’s screen to try to compensate.  I found it minimal at best (maybe 10% better?  but hey, better than nothing).  I don’t know if that’s been retained in later firmwares (while the 4gb Clip is only available in silver, can the firmware differentiate between the black and silver 8gb Clips?  a good question for SanDisk!).

I’ve still never seen one of the silver ones in person…I’d love to be able to compare for myself. My black and red ones I leave the brightness all the way down unless I’m outdoors on a sunny day.

The silver is just fine inside; it just has a more pronounced display issue outside and in the sun (a level more than the other colors, which have outside issues as well).  But, it still is way cool.  :wink: