4GB Clip+ w/ 16GB microSD - 2 audiobooks not listed out of 36 books on SD card

A strange issue just cropped up with a 4GB Clip + with a 16 GB microSD card. The microSD card is loaded with 36 audiobooks (all ripped from audio CD’s). However, the Clip+ only sees 34 of the 36 audiobooks, on the microSD card, when using the Clip+ Music –> Audiobook menu. When using the Music –> Folder –> External uSD Card menu, two audiobook folders are missing. Now if I copy the two folders that don’t show up from the microSD card to the Clip+ internal memory, then the Clip+ shows the two missing audiobooks in the Audiobook menu. The various files in these two folders that go missing when on the SD card appear to be properly tagged in MP3Tag. I’ve even tried copying the folders to my PC’s hard drive, deleting the folder(s) on the microSD card, then copying the files back to no avail. All tests, deletions and copying of files are performed with the microSD card in the Clip+ connected via USB to a Windows 7 PC. Clip+ USB mode is set to MSC.

I’ve run Window’s 7 “Error Checking” on the microSD card and it didn’t find any problems or issues. There are a total of 66 folders and 4,638 files on the microSD card. With 12.9 GB used space and 1.85 GB free space.

Anyone else run into something like this? Any reason why the Clip+ would ignore these two folders on the microSD card, yet see them when stored in the Clip’s internal memory? Is there some magic limit on the number of files or amount that can be stored on the microSD card with a Clip+?

@bennor wrote:

I’ve run Window’s 7 “Error Checking” on the microSD card and it didn’t find any problems or issues. There are a total of 66 folders and 4,638 files on the microSD card. With 12.9 GB used space and 1.85 GB free space.

Anyone else run into something like this? Any reason why the Clip+ would ignore these two folders on the microSD card, yet see them when stored in the Clip’s internal memory? Is there some magic limit on the number of files or amount that can be stored on the microSD card with a Clip+?

I suspect you’ve “hit the database wall”. While the “official” file limit is 8,000, many things can affect the actual number of files that can be recognized, such as length of files names and/or titles in the ID3 tags, embedded album art, and so on. Others have maxed out with less than 5,000 files; I think you have too.

Looks like the song limit, even though there were only 4,638 files on the microSD, was the problem. Deleted several audiobook folders from the microSD card and now the two missing audiobook folders show up. Frustrating to have space left on the microSD card for more content, yet cannot use it due to the Clip+ having some kind file limit (that varies).

Yep, the file limit simply has not kept up with storage capacities. 

Looks like because of the Clip+'s floating limit on files and or their tag content, I will be resorting to using MergeMP3 (mentioned elsewhere in this forum if one searches) to combine each of the files for a CD Audiobook into a single large file so as to allow additional books to be stored. The software does have a couple of quirks in that it doesn’t see the tags on the MP3 file that were created using MP3Tag. So that has to be reentered by hand. And it sometimes has trouble with ordering files when an entire directory is imported. The workaround was to use MP3Tag to mass change the audiobook’s file names so they are numbered starting from 01, or 001. once done the MergeMP3 program will order the files correctly. And each single full Audiobook file must have their Genre tag set to “Audiobook” or it ends up in the Music folder.

Going to take a while to create single files for each of the 43 Audiobooks ripped from CD’s that I currently have.