240 GB Extreme formats to 223.57 GB - Space loss of ~7% or 16.43 GB

In a Windows XP Pro with All available Updates, a 240GB Extreme reports a Max Size = 228,934 MB.  A full Basic-Type, NTFS-File_System using the Default-Allocation_Size.  After using a Max-Size Partition-Layout format setting, formatted disk data space of 223.57 GB seems a larger than expected space loss of 6.8% or16.43 GB of unavailable data space.

Can others report what their data space available findings are from this same size SSD after they have created a max size formatted partition?

The SSD/HDD manufacture always calculate in Gigabytes (mathematical base 1000) whereas Windows calculates in GibiBytes (mathematical base 1024).

Therefore 240 GB = 240,000,000 bytes = 228,9 GiB. 

If you create partitions again space is lost and a NTFS formatted partition has a Master File Table (MFT) that needs space (the MFT saves the information which sectors belong to what file and whet directories exists).

In conclusion everything is fine with your SSD and your system. 

I have recently set up a 240 GB SSD with windows 7 ultimate. The formatted space was only 188Gb a loss of 52Gb.

That is perfectly normal. In fact, you can see this anywhere on HDDs or SSDs or anything. Check that thread out. http://www.howtogeek.com/123268/windows-hard-drive-wrong-capacity/

pcsnwltd loss is over 20%.  This amount of lost space seems excessive even with the different math involved.  What might be happening is a hidden volume might have been created that is consuming some of the 52 GB of space.  Windows doesn’t shown the hidden volumes on my HP Laptop where the HP install created recovery volumes.  However, easeUS partition manager and my Casper backup software will show the hidden space.

If there are no any hidden volumes are taking up the missing space I would be uncomfortable with that much lost space going missing at the start of use.  During operation and as the SSD memory cells die, the SSD controller is programmed to remove the bad cells from use and this kind of lost space can appear over time, and I expect it happen.

I like this disk.  I’ll upgrade it to a Sandisk twice its size once large SSD pricing falls to where this disk is priced.  Until then I create a mirror copy of all my disk each week onto a other disks so as to survive a bad disk day.