16 ohm or 20 ohm??? IEM for clip+

Hi all, i have recently bought a Sansa clip+, and i’ve tried to use it with a pair of full size 32 ohm headphones… with poor results.

The earphones that came with it are just useless, so i was looking at a entry level IEM with good isolation.

It looks like Etymotics MC5 and Shure SE215 can do the job, but i was more inclined to the shure, because of the shape which looks like it would be less annoying with my motorbike’s helmet.

BUT… the MC5 has 16 ohm impedance, and the SE215 has 20 ohm.

The earphones that came with the clip+, are 16 ohm, so i assume the player has been made to drive that impedance. Would the 20 ohm of the Shure be a problem? can it sound less dinamic or slower during transients?

Thanks

Unlike open, larger headphones, IEMs are far more sensitive than headphones.  A 20 ohm model should do just fine, as the sensitivity of IEMs is excellent.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Ok for the sensitivity, but what about a different load? Are there some specs from Sandisk declairing what range of loads it can handle?

Forgive my questions, but i don’t know what are the results of different loadings

@superfunk wrote:

Ok for the sensitivity, but what about a different load? Are there some specs from Sandisk declairing what range of loads it can handle?

Forgive my questions, but i don’t know what are the results of different loadings

Lower impedance is harder to drive but louder, so if it can drive 16 it will drive 24, 32, etc. Since the sensitivity on IEMs is so high anyway, most of the time you don’t care that 24 or 32 ohm will be slightly quieter. FWIW the Clip’s amp have a very low output impedance, so it will drive pretty much anything, although for very high impedance (600+) it might be a little quiet.