[v0.4.1]video4fuze [Outdated]

It worx like a charm on my XP SP3 Workstation. But it does not work on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit.

It shows after processing a window that a path could not be found : \user\… (do not remember the rest).

Greetz,

MaGuE

So, can anyone tell me the code to paste to my program?

so far all the code i got from this forums keeps making my program crash

also if one can add the parameter to make 16:9 videos 4:3  I hate those black bars

@ewelot wrote:

@struct wrote:

Some time ago I used video4fuze 2.1 to convert a video which worked fine on the fuze. There was no problem at 3:20. Not when playing, not when seeking.

However, today I did again some conversions and every video I converted, stoped at something like 3:20 when seeking directly from the start. When I use playback only, everything is correct. I tried video4fuze 4.1 and latest pvc, with the same result.

Is this a problem with the fuze or do the parameters for converting need some enhancement?

struct

This sounds pretty strange as the seeking and 3:20 minutes problem clearly points towards an issue with avimux-gui which takes care of the OpenDML index build. It has nothing to do with the video/audio conversion procedure done by mencoder. Something must have changed on the avimux-gui parameter list I guess.

I’d like to ask a few questions to beter understand what’s going on:

1. Do you encounter the seeking problem with all the videos you converted with pvc (version 1.1)?
  1. You are starting the video and immediately press fast-forward button, right? I never did this kind of seeking test …
  1. What do you mean by the video “stoped”? Does the video just finish or does the fuze freeze?
  1. Are you sure that the very same operation does not result in problems if you converted the same videos with video4fuze 2.1?

I must confess I never tried video4fuze so far but I am sure you (or somebody else) could figure out the change in avimux-gui parameter lists on different versions …

1: I tried two videos from two different dvds and had (nearly) the same problem.

2: Yes, directly after starting the video I pressed fast-forward. Its not my fuze and I just wanted to check, if the whole video is working.

3: The first video stopped and the fuze freezed. The second one stopped, showed a message that I should use SMC and after this I had the ‘videos a-Z’ screen back. No freeze.

4: In the meantime I tried video4fuze 2.1 with one of the two problematic files and had the same problem (freeze). Unfortunately, I dont have the converted video that worked anymore. It could be, that I played it for some seconds and pressed FFW then, and that this makes a difference. At the momment I dont think that only videos converted with v4f > 2.1 are affected.

I think I will try some other videos next. I will also try to convert the video taht worked before again (I still have the source file).

Could it be, that its a general fuze problem, that affects SMC files also. Maybe someone can test this: Just start the video, press FFW imidiatly and wait if you reach 4:00.

struct

@struct wrote:

1: I tried two videos from two different dvds and had (nearly) the same problem.

2: Yes, directly after starting the video I pressed fast-forward. Its not my fuze and I just wanted to check, if the whole video is working.

3: The first video stopped and the fuze freezed. The second one stopped, showed a message that I should use SMC and after this I had the ‘videos a-Z’ screen back. No freeze.

4: In the meantime I tried video4fuze 2.1 with one of the two problematic files and had the same problem (freeze). Unfortunately, I dont have the converted video that worked anymore. It could be, that I played it for some seconds and pressed FFW then, and that this makes a difference. At the momment I dont think that only videos converted with v4f > 2.1 are affected.

I think I will try some other videos next. I will also try to convert the video taht worked before again (I still have the source file).

Could it be, that its a general fuze problem, that affects SMC files also. Maybe someone can test this: Just start the video, press FFW imidiatly and wait if you reach 4:00.

struct

Meanwhile I checked a few of my pvc-converted videos in two different ways:

1. pressing the forward button quickly for many times (forward steps of 30s): no problem!

2. pressing and holding the forward button:

- if you start seeking from the beginning of the video to behind the 3:20 mark, the fuze freezes shortly before that

- if you start somewhere in the video and keep on holding the button pressed it will advance for 2-3 minutes and suddenly it stops and the fuze displays an “Unsupported Media …” message

You see the difference? I am always using the first method for fast-forward/backward seeking because it is faster. I am using the second method for slow-forward/backward seeking of <1min. Until we know a better way I recommend you adapt to the same method.

I don’t know if SMC-converted videos behave better. Never used it. I believe the cause of the described problems with the mencoder/avimux-gui converted videos is processing power. It has been reported on the forum that you can confuse the player by several fast or parallel user requests. Maybe our converted videos are still sub-optimal and somebody could improve on the conversion procedure …

1st pass:

mencoder -ffourcc DX50 -ofps 20 -vf pp=li,expand=:::::224/176,scale=224:176,harddup -ovc lavc -lavcopts threads=2:vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=400:vmax_b_frames=0:keyint=30:vpass=1:turbo -srate 44100 -af resample=44100:0:1,format=s16le -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=128

2nd pass:

mencoder -ffourcc DX50 -ofps 20 -vf pp=li,expand=:::::224/176,scale=224:176,harddup -ovc lavc -lavcopts threads=2:vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=400:vmax_b_frames=0:keyint=30:vpass=2 -srate 44100 -af resample=44100:0:1,format=s16le -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=128

now im getting error 123 on the final step when avimux runs

and the file remains in the temp folder

and unplayable by the fuze…

That code still makes my video freeze

@bytehd2000 wrote:

now im getting error 123 on the final step when avimux runs

and the file remains in the temp folder

and unplayable by the fuze…

well, not always

its not perfect but it works

@smartinez281 wrote:

what length is it?

long ones tend to freeze sometimes

@smartinez281 wrote:

What do you mean exactly? Did the conversion run without error? Does the fuze start the video at all? Are you seeking forward/backward within the video and suddenly the video stops and the fuze freezes? Or …

It would be helpful for debugging purposes if you could copy your actual mencoder command lines here. There are several code snippets already on this thread and things could easily get confused.

Im sorry for the late response

The video freezes after I FF after a while

I already posted the video in earlier posts in this thread along with the rest of the details. I cant upload now :wink:

@smartinez281 wrote:

Im sorry for the late response

The video freezes after I FF after a while

I already posted the video in earlier posts in this thread along with the rest of the details. I cant upload now :wink:

Now I understand your problem. I have reported about the FF issue in this message. Does it fit into your observations? Can you do the fast-forward in the way I described under point 1 (a sequence of button presses instead of press-and-hold)?

I did a full instal of the current version on my machine (Vista 32, SP2) and when the install completed, it asked if I wanted to view the readme and launch the program.  I said yes, and tried to use it.

I tried a variety of source files (non-encrypted VOB, AVI, M4V that work on Ipod and Zune), and they all fail spectacularly.  The DOS window spits out a constant stream of errors, beginning with a list of complaints about aspect ratio, codec, and some other stuff I think fonts and so on), and then it starts going through the file, typing out an error line for each and every frame (until I abort it).

Can anyone give me any suggestions?

I can usually have a measure of success using the “236” edtion of the SMC – I have found that unless I first make an intermediate AVI file, and then feed that to the SMC, it will usually fail, usually by only converting part of the file, but not generting any errors.

Even when I do use an AVI intermediate file, it’s still flakey – it will sometimes convert to a very tiny image, which when I examine the file info, turns out to be the pixel dimensions of the c200 series, which do NOT do video (unless under Roclbox).  Sometimes I can get it to work by using the slider buttons that set start/end points, but putting them at the very edges, so that the whole file is used.  It’s just a flakey program, so I’d really like to be able to usevideo4fuze, especially since Rockbox is not released for the Fuze (I don’t want to risk my Fuze to the beta version).

Any suggestions as to what I’m doing wrong?

What you see in the console window is that video4fuze is dropping frames from your source video in order to make it have the adequate framerate. It’s what is expected to happen.

Have you tried the conversion without aborting it?

Thank’s to the people who were involved in making this software.I am very delighted now that I can put video’s into my fuze without any hesitation.

The changelog say’s that it create’s thumbnail’s of the video.I am using version 0.4.1 of this software with Window’s XP SP2.And it work’s great but I cannot see the thumbnail’s on the fuze.Am I doing something wrong here.

Thank’s

@sr_rox wrote:

Thank’s to the people who were involved in making this software.I am very delighted now that I can put video’s into my fuze without any hesitation.

The changelog say’s that it create’s thumbnail’s of the video.I am using version 0.4.1 of this software with Window’s XP SP2.And it work’s great but I cannot see the thumbnail’s on the fuze.Am I doing something wrong here.

Thank’s

Oh, thank you for using video4fuze :slight_smile:

First of all, are you converting directly  into the fuze? If not, you’ll need to put the .thm file generated in the same folder as the conmverted video in the fuze.

If you can’t see any .thm file anywhere, you aren’t doing anything wrong, I think. I have the same issue on  my windows XP SP3 box,  but I can’t reproduce it anywhere (i’ve tried other windows boxes , SP3, SP2, and even wine, but it has worked on all of them…), and I have no clue about why it doesn’t make the thumbnail…

Now I see it’s (probably) not only a issue of my (a litle trashed) windows box,  so i’ll try to find out why it isn’t working in some rare cases.

D’oh, windows environements are supposed to be more or less homogeneus (compared to *nix), so I didn’t expect an issue of this kind to happen on that platform. Anyways, thumbnail generation isn’t a critical issue.

Hi,

What would be command line addition and can it be placed anywhere within the command line?

I would like to be able to raise the volume level of a conversion since some of my original recordings have a lower than normal volume.

Thanks,

Bryan

You need to add the volume option to mencoders audio filter chain (starting with -af). In order to increase the volume by e.g. 15dB the audio filter would have to look like this:

mencoder ... -af resample=44100:0:1,format=s16le,volume=15 ...

Hope it works in your case. For a more detailed description of mencoder options please consult the manual.

Hi,

I did what you showed below and I get this error :

returned non-zero exit status 1.

I do not get this error without the volume added. Here is the line as I copied into for phase 1 and phase 2.

I also tried adding to just phase 1 or 2 only and get error. Wanst sure if I should add to both so I tried both first :slight_smile:

-af resample=44100:0:1,format=s16le, volume=15 -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=128

One other question is there a way to have it deafult to  a folder where to add files from, and also default to where destination folder is. So it does not have to be chosen each time unless of course you want to change it? Might be good to add to preferences maybe?

Thanks for your help!

Great Program!

ewelot wrote:

You need to add the volume option to mencoders audio filter chain (starting with -af). In order to increase the volume by e.g. 15dB the audio filter would have to look like this:

mencoder … -af resample=44100:0:1,format=s16le,volume=15 …

Hope it works in your case. For a more detailed description of mencoder options please consult the manual.

@trapperjohn wrote:

Hi,

I did what you showed below and I get this error :

returned non-zero exit status 1.

I do not get this error without the volume added. Here is the line as I copied into for phase 1 and phase 2.

I also tried adding to just phase 1 or 2 only and get error. Wanst sure if I should add to both so I tried both first :slight_smile:

-af resample=44100:0:1,format=s16le, volume=15 -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=128

If I read your command line correctly, than there seems to be a space just before the volume option. You must avoid spaces within the audio filter chain! Otherwise mencoder would assume “volume=15” is an input file name and will abort as it cannot find a file of that name. I encourage you to try again with the correct volume option added on both mencoder commands.