Use Better Fonts in the UI, Please

Maybe not many people use Fuze with Japanese, but the differences in font heights between Kanji and Kana characters are really irritating to the eye.

You can for example choose “System Settings” => “Language” => “日本語” (that’s the one just below Turkce), and see top of the display that used to say “System Settings” in English, white letters on dark background.

The left four characters (these are Kana characters) look noticeably shorter than the last two characters (Kanji), and worse yet, their vertical alignment is at the top :cry:. Ideally Fuze should use a font that renders them at the same height. If you cannot for some reason use such a font, at least please align them at baseline, not at the top. At least Clip is much better in this regard, primarily because letters on that puppy are uniformly smaller.

Another feature request is an option to use smaller font overall so that more information can fit on the display.

Puhleeeeze?

Message Edited by clipuser on 11-14-2008 11:11 AM

Message Edited by clipuser on 12-14-2008 02:53 PM

Here are a few screenshots to illustrate the issues.

This is how Fuze shows a typical list of songs with the current firmware.  Let’s highlight the parts that are rendered incorrectly.

The characters highlighted in the above all look smaller than other characters around them.  Indeed, they are too small, and the whole thing look very unbalanced. Each of these East Asian characters is supposed to occupy an equal size square.

Ideally, Fuze should use a better font that gives the same size as the others, like Clip, which gives much more uniform look. Even though the resolution of the font used on Clip seems to be much lower, overall the result is much easier to read.

If it is not feasible to improve fonts, an alternative way to improve the look is to align them with other letters better by lowering the baseline for them.  Here is the first screenshot, edited with Gimp to do so.

Message Edited by clipuser on 12-14-2008 11:25 PM

I’d love to see your pics, as it sounds like you’ve put a lot of work into this, but they are not showing here.

yea, the pics arent showing

id love to see

i would love a font which is “sharper” …

smoother fonts please… it would give the ui a much better look imo.

@pelago wrote:
I’d love to see your pics, as it sounds like you’ve put a lot of work into this, but they are not showing here.

Pasted them again.  Better luck this time?

The font for the clock time, elapsed time, and time remaining for the track are all imo in a font that is too small and hard to read. Why is this the case when the screen is so large?

I need glasses to even see the unit!! LOL!!  So With my glasses on I have no issues with how small some things are…  I’m a USA user and have no issues with the fonts used for my region. George

So George, you’re saying you have no problem with this?

もしこれを読むことができればあなたが近くに後に続きすぎています!

or this?

如果你可以讀這,你隨著是太接近的!

:smileyvery-happy:

Paul,

I can see what you typed with glasses! Maybe they got things wrong with other languages, Regions. But I can see every thing nicely with my glasses on…  If i understand your question. I have no issues…  Maybe I’m missing something! George

спасибо, is better.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

If system is set for English, will Japanese Kana/Kanji display properly?

I changed my mihimaru GT and Girl Next Door tags to romaji because of fear Japanese would make the player freeze.

And I agree that nicer fonts (typefaces) would improve usability.

I happen to like Helvetica Rounded Condensed (demibold) … 

George -

@tapeworm wrote:

もしこれを読むことができればあなたが近くに後に続きすぎています!(Japenese)

or this?

如果你可以讀這,你隨著是太接近的!(Traditional Chinese)

English Translation:

If you can read this, you are following too closely!

:stuck_out_tongue:

George -

@tapeworm wrote:

もしこれを読むことができればあなたが近くに後に続きすぎています!(Japenese)

or this?

如果你可以讀這,你隨著是太接近的!(Traditional Chinese)

English Translation:

If you can read this, you are following too closely!

:stuck_out_tongue:

LOL!!  I didn’t say I coud read it just see it with my glasses on!!  But yes you had me!!  George

@fluxam wrote:

If system is set for English, will Japanese Kana/Kanji display properly?

I changed my mihimaru GT and Girl Next Door tags to romaji because of fear Japanese would make the player freeze.

And I agree that nicer fonts (typefaces) would improve usability.

I happen to like Helvetica Rounded Condensed (demibold) … 

Yes, but “properly” needs to be qualified.  The screenshots in the earlier post were taken on a Fuze with language set to English.  The player does not freeze.

And no, setting it to Japanese would not fix this unbalanced appearance issue.