Syncing takes 8-10 HOURS

I have a Clip Zip with 4GB and 32GB memory card connected to a PC with Win7SP1-64 bit.  When I sync the device to the PC, it takes 9-10 HOURS.

Even when adding just one song and resyncing, it will take HOURS.

I have reformatted the device and it still takes hours.

I am running an Intel i7 quad core processor with 16GB of memory, so it is not a slow PC, as technical support suggested.

Contrasting this with my Zune, which takes about 20 minutes to initially sync, and adding one song takes less than a minute to sync.

So it appears that there is a problem with the firmware of the device, or the software/driver on the PC doing the download.

Any ideas to fix this problem?

Why sync? Why not just simply drag & drop or copy & paste the files you want from your comptuer to the player and/or card?

Does drag-drop copy the Album Art also?  Or do I need to drag-drop the .jpg album covers, in addition to the .mp3 files?

Whatever you higjhlight to copy will be copied. So if you use the album art or folder.jpg method in each album folder, as long as you highlight this file to be copied along with the .mp3 files, this will be copied over too.

If your album art in embedded in the ID3 tag on each file then yes, it is part of the .mp3 file ans will be transferred as well.

This procedure it nothing more difficult or sinister than moving (or copying) any other file on your computer from one location to the other. You’re just copying them to your player’s Music folder on its own drive. :wink:

Do I copy the Playlists the same way?  Do they go into the Playlists directory (I assume)?

And what about the Albums folder?  What is stored there?

I also noticed that Playlist files have a .pla extension.  Can I just copy my windows .wpl playlist files into this directory, or do I have to changed the extension, or somehow convert them to .pla files?

@binary512 wrote:

Do I copy the Playlists the same way? 

No, playlists are a different animal altogether. You have to create the playlists from the songs on the player, not on your computer.

Do they go into the Playlists directory (I assume)?

If they are .pla format playlists then yes, they go into the Playlist folder. M3u format playlists go into the Music folder.

@binary512 wrote:

And what about the Albums folder?  What is stored there?

Nothing of any use; you can delete it if you want to. In MTP mode, this is where thumbnails of the album art is stored. In MSC mode, I can’t see where it’s of any use at all.

I also noticed that Playlist files have a .pla extension.  Can I just copy my windows .wpl playlist files into this directory, or do I have to changed the extension, or somehow convert them to .pla files?

You should do some boning up on playlists; they can be tricky on Sansa players, what with different formats and different ways to create them, etc.

Creating playlists with the player for 2500+ songs is not reasonable.  This is why I wish to use the Sync feature.

Is there someone we can talk to so the MTP Sync mode does not take 10 hours to run?  This would fix all my problems.

I just hit the 10 hour mark and am at 97% sync completion.  This is unacceptable.