Stuck on refreshing media as soon as turned on.

My sansa clip will turn on, and go through the flower screen, then it will go directly to “refreshing you media” and the progress bar will stick about an eighth of the way. It will stay on this screen for hours, until the battery dies, and it never progresses any further. Even after the battery dies and is recharged, it stays the same. This started to happen after I put in a memory card. Could the card have ruined the media player? And I have a Mac, will this affect the formatting process? And can I format on the computer? Thanks for your help!

It could be due to “ghost” files that a Mac creates when transferring files–these are extra admin. files that can choke a PC device.  To avoid this, some Mac users will use separate software to transfer from a Mac, such as KopyMac (no longer available?) and Hidden Cleaner, each Internet freeware; this also can be avoided using the Mac’s Terminal (is that what it’s called?).

This also could be due to a file that the Clip can’t handle, choking the Clip in the database refresh process.  You may want to look through the files you are trying to transfer, and make sure that they are of types acceptable to and compatible with the Clip.  (Yes, this could be a pain . . . .)

This is happening to me as well, but my sansa won’t show up on my computer so I can’t change any of the files that I put on it… i’ve tried refreshing it a bunch of times but it keeps getting stuck on the “refreshing your media”. what can i do…?

@jbro wrote:

This is happening to me as well, but my sansa won’t show up on my computer so I can’t change any of the files that I put on it… i’ve tried refreshing it a bunch of times but it keeps getting stuck on the “refreshing your media”. what can i do…?

If you can still read the content - Make a backup on your computer!

Before you turn it off, go to the main selection, select FM radio Then turn off and remove the card if that is where you suspect the fault is.

Now it will go into Radio mode when you switch it on again. That does not require the refreshing.
Check the card using a real microSDHC reader for file system errors (preferably under Windows).

If it can not be repaired you will need to format it (Again,under Windows).

Make sure to use “Default” sector/allocation unit  size (probably 4kByte) FAT32 format

Copy your backup back to the card.
Insert it in the Sansa.

Now you can turn it on and hopefully the thing will not freeze up again and refreshing should be OK.

There are several causes I can think of; Bad id3v2 data, corrupt file(s), corrupt FAT,trying to fill the card up over capacity (remember, always keep at least 20% free space on any Flash media)  and probably more

FAT32 is not a very reliable file system for mobile devices. A journaling file system like NTFS, ext3 or one of the other open-source Linux file systems would be much much better. exFAT by M$ does not seem very compatible at this time.

@maxmhz wrote:

FAT32 is not a very reliable file system for mobile devices.

Then why are all mobile devices and flash-based drives and memory cards (above 2GB) in this format?

@tapeworm wrote:

@maxmhz wrote:

FAT32 is not a very reliable file system for mobile devices.

Then why are all mobile devices and flash-based drives and memory cards (above 2GB) in this format?

M$ has already been paid for the use of FAT32?

FAT32 is simple and does not need much processing power?

FAT32 is recognized by all BIOS. Apple, Intel etc. etc. (you need that with a new drive)

SDXC cards come exFAT formatted. No idea if those will work under Linux. [Edit] - Yes they will, but the procedure is very cumbersom to say the least. exFAT support was implemented under FUSE. Extensive user command-line on mount/unmount etc. is still needed. exFAT/FUSE  also has to be installed through commandline/apt. WinXP also needs installing exFAT support, The later versions of OS-X, Vista and Win7 do support exFAT natively.

Anyway, the procedure I described above may not tell the entire story.

I just put in a freshly formatted card with new content and the Clip+ did refresh media even with me being on FM radio when I turned it off. It did refresh very fast though (less than 1 min;20 GB FLAC on the card, 741 songs 8GB Clip+, 32 GB class 4 card)

Sounds like a tag problem. Are your tags ID3V2.3 ISO8859-1? I think the default for itunes may be ID3V2.4?

The basic FAT system (fat16 and fat12), were introduced long before there were mobile devices, before there were such things as solid state memory and likely before most of you were born. Fat32 was developed as hard drives (not available when the fat system was designed) became larger. No doubt there are now better file systems, but look on the bright side, you’re not stuck with the single directory 64 file limit of CPM (not that I’m knocking CPM).