Some FLAC files do not play

I am having some trouble with my 8GB Fuze.  Some FLAC files will play with no trouble, while others it will not play.  It seem that 16 bit files are fine, while 24 do not play.  Is this intended behavior?  I would hate to think that FLAC files are ony supported up to a certain bitrate.

24-bit FLAC files are not supported.

But “24-bit” and “16-bit” aren’t bitrates, they’re sample sizes. Bitrates are indicated by a “kbps” suffix, as in 64kbps, 192kbps, 320kbps, etc.

EDIT: if you must have 24-bit support, you could install Rockbox, an open-source alternative firmware. It has a steeper learning curve than the stock firmware however, as it has TONS of configuration options.

www.rockbox.org

Message Edited by gwk1967 on 08-07-2010 06:26 PM

I have a similar problem which fits under this topic, but which I believe has a different cause.

My FLAC collection is all from CDs, ripped as single files using “abcde -M -1” and tagged using flactag, so there is no question of them being 24 bit, and metaflac confirms this.

However, roughly one out of ten of my FLAC CDs refuses to play on my Sansa Fuze 8GB (running 2.03.33 firmware); it just stops. It seems to get stuck for a while trying to play it, and never moves on. If I try to skip it and go to another one, sometimes it will, after a while, but other times it gets into a state where it won’t even play files that I know are good until I do a shutdown/restart. I get the same problem whether the files reside on the internal flash or on an external MicroSD card. The same files play with a variety of software players.

Is there any way to collect debugging information about what’s going on?

I’d eventually like to have the player use my embedded CUE and track tag information, but for starters I’d settle for having it actually play the files in my collection.

Thanks.

@gwk1967 wrote:

EDIT: if you must have 24-bit support, you could install Rockbox, an open-source alternative firmware. It has a steeper learning curve than the stock firmware however, as it has TONS of configuration options.

www.rockbox.org

Thank you for this, 24-bit support really is a must for me; a lot of my music library is in 24-bit FLAC.  This kind of limitation should be documented though.  FLAC support was a huge draw for me, but if I knew about the limitations I might have reconsidered.  I will check out rockbox though, I am not shy about modding my hardware when necessary to get the performance I need.