Sansa Fuze Firmware Update version 01.01.22 & 02.01.17

can someone post the first sansa fuze firmware

I don’t mind helping a n00b, as I have never lost sight of the fact that we’re all n00bs at one point in our lives.

Thus, the only dumb question is the unasked one, right?  I remember the difficulties encountered in first working with these machines.  Despite being repetitive, the personal touch is better.

Not only that, it’s fun to type the word n00b or n003.

Lots of folks spend quite a bit of their free time helping here, as evidenced by their postings.

But let’s keep feminine hygiene out of the equation, please.

Welcome to the Sansa forum, and don’t feel shy to ask those questions!

Enjoying my n00bi5hne55,

Bob :smileyvery-happy:

@marvin_martian wrote:

@logrus wrote:

So your definition of a date is any time in a three month period? Now a 1.9 month period?

The ability to be an anonymous ■■■■■■■■■ to strangers isn’t the same as the justification to be one.

They don’t give you an exact date, because they are still working on said updates, and if they were to miss an announced exact date, then there would be an uproar from morons around the world :stuck_out_tongue:

That is an excellent answer. I wish the person who decided it was a good idea to berate the original poster for being such a newb had been as considerate to that fellow.

snarky responses containing naught else but a direction to the “search” feature only alienate users and clutter up the boards.

@conversionbox wrote:

@logrus wrote:

So your definition of a date is any time in a three month period? Now a 1.9 month period?

The ability to be an anonymous ■■■■■■■■■ to strangers isn’t the same as the justification to be one.

Write the code,run the code, debug the code, release thr firmware, listn to us report bugs, fix the bugs, add new GUI features, run the code, debug, Release the firmware, and repeat. This process can take at least 3 months, im supprised its that fast. If I told you I had a project I was working on for you, and said it would be done on February 3, and Tomorrow comes and its not done or worse yet I rush to get it done and dont check the work and the new stuff is unuasble you would be PISSED. I want Sandisk to release it on March 31 at midnight if thats how long they need to get the best product for us.

And Who are you callin a D-bag? That statement requires the middle school response it must take one to know one, I dont see any D-bag responses on all of the 24 pages of this thread.

Directing someone to use the “search” feature while calling them a noob is pretty Massengil. Either the question has an answer or it does not, it takes little more effort to answer a previously answered question than it does to hurl invective at them; post scripting with a direction to the “search” feature isn’t out of line, but if the person is unaware of how to use it calling them names is hardly an incentive to bother trying. It’s ego-flexing at it’s most meaningless and trivial. “Hey you’re new here so I’m going to make you feel unwelcome while letting you know that I’ve put in a lot of time posting here.” Nevermind that the post count is probably inflated with at least 40% useless and unpleasant comments toward others rather than actually answering questions or providing guidance.

@logrus wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

@logrus wrote:

They don’t give you an exact date, because they are still working on said updates, and if they were to miss an announced exact date, then there would be an uproar from morons around the world :stuck_out_tongue:

That is an excellent answer. I wish the person who decided it was a good idea to berate the original poster for being such a newb had been as considerate to that fellow.

snarky responses containing naught else but a direction to the “search” feature only alienate users and clutter up the boards.

Since you’ve not had the courage or courtesy to actually come out and say who it is you are berating or to quote the relevant message in your posts, I’m going to go out on a limb and guess it’s me with reference to this reply:

@tapeworm wrote:

FUZE_Newb - Your ‘n00bness’ is showing! Please read and/or search before posting. :wink:

This has been documented numerous times, probably even in this 23-page thread! A search taking less than 10 seconds of your time would most assuredly find the answer for you.

“1st Quarter of 2009”

Firstly, This new member chose his name himself. He freely admits he is a ‘newb’. All I did in my reply was change the spelling to ‘n00b’ as is very common in forums and boards all over the internet. No insult was meant! All new members are even classified as ‘newbies’ here on this forum. I have no control over that and it is not a derogatory term!

2nd, I only quoted a request you will also find on any forum in their FAQ or “Read This Before You Post” guidelines to please (and you’ll notice I did say please) read and/or search before posting. This request is to avoid repetitive posts so that when someone does use the ‘Search’ function, the results won’t be bloated with multiple posts all having the same information in them. This makes it easier for all to use this important tool and have to wade through fewer posts to find the answer they seek.

Thirdly, did you notice the :wink: emoticon? Were I irritated or trying to put this person down, I would have used the :angry: one. Maybe you have yours turned off. These help convey the meaning or ‘tone’ behind a typed statement as one can’t see the face or body language of anyone else, or hear the inflection or emotion in their voice so sometimes things are taken in the wrong context without those face-to-face visual cues. The smileys, while not perfect, do help with this.

Fourth, you’ll notice I did answer the question. Yes, I could have added 4 or 5 more words to the answer like, “The official word is . . .” or “All we’ve been told is . . .” or “The only response from SanDisk is . . .” or " There is no exact date, but . . ." but I didn’t. Sometimes in our haste to answer and help as many ‘n00bs’ (and again, this is not meant disrespectful) as we can, we abbreviate our responses to the most relevant words.

Fifth, when you were growing up and in school (maybe you still are, I can’t tell), did your teachers just ‘give’ you an answer to a question or a problem? For that matter, what about your parents? Yes, I could have simply answered the question, but would that teach anybody anything? No. I gave the answer, but also explained that the same answer could have been easily found on their own. That’s how one grows and learns, by seeking out answers themselves. If everything is just handed to someone without having to expend any energy on their own, what have they learned or gained from the experience? People who find answers to their questions themselves not only find the answers quicker, but are also more satisfied that they found it on their own and are more confident in their abilities, especially when it comes to doing or finding something foreign again.

Conclusion: There was nothing ‘snarky’ in my response. You chose to see it that way. And if I may ask, “Why?” There was no personal attack on you. You were not even involved in the discussion before you launched your tirades showing off your creative vocabulary and taking issue with a comment directed at someone else. If Fuze-Newb was offended by my comments or reply, he certainly has the right and/or skills to publicly or privately challenge what I said, and we can work it out! Otherwise, it’s really none of your business!

@logrus wrote:

Directing someone to use the “search” feature while calling them a noob is pretty Massengil. Either the question has an answer or it does not, it takes little more effort to answer a previously answered question than it does to hurl invective at them; post scripting with a direction to the “search” feature isn’t out of line, but if the person is unaware of how to use it calling them names is hardly an incentive to bother trying. It’s ego-flexing at it’s most meaningless and trivial. “Hey you’re new here so I’m going to make you feel unwelcome while letting you know that I’ve put in a lot of time posting here.” Nevermind that the post count is probably inflated with at least 40% useless and unpleasant comments toward others rather than actually answering questions or providing guidance.

Attitudes and bloated self-serving speeches such as this is what (your words) “only alienate users and clutter up the boards.”

Obviously, you came here with a big chip on your shoulder. Why, I don’t know. Maybe you were treated this way on another forum and this is your way of retaliating, however mis-directed? No malice was directed at you here, nor the member you have decided to take up the sword for.

Then there are people who really seem to thrive on instigating trouble or arguing just for arguments sake without ever offering anything positive or of substance. There is a derogatory descriptive term used when this occurs in forums and discussion boards. I won’t use it here, but it seems that this type of behavior falls into that category.

If you’re looking for a fight, take it somewhere else. We’ve got better things to do here. :smiley:

The best way to deal with a flame, is ignore it

back on topic.

Request:  For troubleshooting,  would a feature that when the fuse is soft reset, to erase the database and recreate, and if there isn’t enough room to auto delete the last added file?   if there is an error in this process, offer up a format option and/or the option to change the usb mode.

It might help when there is a half dozen issues that represent many of the messages on the forum.   Have the Fuze trouble shoot some simple things on a soft-reset.  or another type of key sequence at startup.

Just an idea to help fix a few of the common issues.

Message Edited by niko_sama on 02-03-2009 12:05 PM

Marvin, Tape, Conversion, Neutron…

Why are you talking to this nasty troll?

axon 

Message Edited by axon01 on 02-03-2009 02:16 PM

BUG???!!!

I updated my fuze 8GB but now some lists do not follow the old logical order:

Title01

Title03

Title05

Title10

Title02

Title04

(Note: all have identical ID3 tags apart from the title name)

I then manually “downdated” my fuze to 1.01.15 and … it was normal again.

How can that happen? I also want to use the new features of the upgrade.

@cesaria wrote:

BUG???!!!

I updated my fuze 8GB but now some lists do not follow the old logical order:

Title01

Title03

Title05

Title10

Title02

Title04

(Note: all have identical ID3 tags apart from the title name)

I then manually “downdated” my fuze to 1.01.15 and … it was normal again.

How can that happen? I also want to use the new features of the upgrade.

You need to modify your tags to make them work for you. There is something different with the tags that dont line up like you expect.Also (if your example is how you have items taged. Try taking the 0 out.

I just upgraded to firmware v02.01.17a and my albums are still not in track order.  I know that they have ID3V1 tags in them but thought that was supposed to be fixed with this firmware.   I’ve got hundreds of albums tagged with ID3V1… sure wish this would work…  I would really like to listen to my music in the right sequence.

Or… anyone know how to do a mass re-tag to convert them to ID3V2?  

FYI, I’m using MSC in case that matters for some reason.

Thanks in advance!

@eafritz wrote:

I’ve got hundreds of albums tagged with ID3V1… sure wish this would work…  I would really like to listen to my music in the right sequence.

Or… anyone know how to do a mass re-tag to convert them to ID3V2?  

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=sansafuse&message.id=16767#M16767

MP3Tag will do the trick

Mp3Tag

Hi again.

I’ve been patiently waiting for the firmware upgrade that will allow full use of 16GB memory ie more then ~3400 mp3s.

When will the next firmware update be released and will it contain that upgrade. 

I don’t feel that I am asking for much…just to be able to use the originally advertised features of the Fuze.  It is a great mp3 player, the best that I have used for audio quality and practical features, but this is reeeeeeeeeeealy annoying.

Thks  :angry:

@avalon wrote:

Hi again.

I’ve been patiently waiting for the firmware upgrade that will allow full use of 16GB memory ie more then ~3400 mp3s.

When will the next firmware update be released and will it contain that upgrade. 

I don’t feel that I am asking for much…just to be able to use the originally advertised features of the Fuze.  It is a great mp3 player, the best that I have used for audio quality and practical features, but this is reeeeeeeeeeealy annoying.

It will be by the end of March. Many are hoping by the end of this month. SanDisk wont set a date until the bugs are worked out, and they know what to expect

I wonder if changeble font colors would be possible if sandisk does end up making more wallpaper colors or use your own picture as a background =0…but I doubt :\ i’m sure it’s not to simple to do that ay? :\ Just wondering out loud :stuck_out_tongue:

@conversionbox wrote:

@avalon wrote:

Hi again.

It will be by the end of March. Many are hoping by the end of this month. SanDisk wont set a date until the bugs are worked out, and they know what to expect

Thks for the prompt response.

I appreciate the effort with the updates…I know that it is not as easy as some may believe to make these changes and not introduce bugs.

Look forward to the update.  :smiley:

What is the root directory and what is the name of the file?

@pab wrote:
What is the root directory and what is the name of the file?

With regard to what?

The firmware update

Extract the .zip file into a folder on your computer.
• Once extracted, drag the file to the root directory of your Sansa Fuze

The ‘root directory’ is the top rung of the files system ladder of the player. Kinda like your C: drive on your computer. If you connect your player in MSC mode and open a Windows Explorer (sometimes called My Computer) pane, you’ll see your player under Devices with Removable Storage alongside your other drives like your CD or DVD drives. It will also be assigned a letter, as will the memory card slot whether you have a card inserted or not.

If you double-click on your player’s icon, the pane or window that then opens up with have some folders & files in it. This is your elusive ‘root directory’! So in your example, once the firmware’s .zip file has been extracted, you would drag & drop it here in the open area beside (but not into) the folders and files.

Does that help?