Sansa Express 1GB $16.99 USD at Circuit City

Sansa Express for $16.99 USD

They bumped the price up to $19.99 but it’s still a deal.

It’s back to regular pricing

It doesn’t worth a cent, the worst player on this planet.

@crazydiy wrote:
It doesn’t worth a cent, the worst player on this planet.

1. Format your Express.

2. Update the Firmware to the latest version.

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=express&thread.id=2972

Thanks tmarkoski.

I did format the drive and my firmware is already the latest version.

@tmarkoski wrote:
It’s back to regular pricing

My wife just ordered me another Express for ten bucks and change, with free shipping, from… hmm… I think she said buy.com. (I was whining about having lost the protective cap from one of my Expresses, so she solved the problem by buyng me another one!)

At that price it’s a pretty attractive deal.  (I’ll probably take the capless one and build it into something else, i.e., a car radio or boombox.)

@crazydiy wrote:

Thanks tmarkoski.

I did format the drive and my firmware is already the latest version.

There’s no denying that the Express has its quirks, but, once you get past the lack of any viable “generic” audiobook handling/bookmarking (a la the Clip’s excellent audiobook management), PITAesque USB-mode management, dim display (the Clip apparently has the same display module, but it drives it a LOT harder), and lack of progressive slew (a PITA when trying to get back to where you were in a large file – see “lack of viable bookmarking”), it *does* have a lot in its favor:  It’s very compact, it has *incredible* battery life, *excellent* audio quality, and, unlike any of the other (V1/non-Rockboxed c/e-series) Sansa, it *does* work with 4GB cards.

It makes a nice addition to my shirt pocket, next to my Clip.  And for the price, you really can’t beat it.  Get 'em while you can, I don’t think the clearance-priced Expresses will be around much longer.

By the way, here’s a dirty little trick for all you Express junkies that listen to audiobooks – when you want to take a break from listening to an audiobook, take a look at the display, and see what book/chapter/timestamp you’re at, and then, go into voice recorder mode, and say what you just saw.

When you go back later on, if you can’t remember what chapter of what book – and, how many minutes into that chapter – then listen to your voice note to refresh your memory.  Not quite as elegant as the Clip’s automatic bookmarking, but it sure beats having to “re-listen” your way through a book trying to find your place again!

2 Gb Refurb, $16