Sansa E280 not being recognized by computer

When I connect my Sansa E280 to my computer, all of a sudden the device is not being recognized by my computer. It is connected, because it is powering up. But when I look for it in my hardware, I get the error message “Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)”

Can someone help me with this?

Are you connecting in MTP or MSC mode? Go to SETTINGS > USB Mode & select MSC, Then try to connect yur player again. Does it work this way? And are you running Windows XP or Vista?

Code 41 is pointing to a Windows Registry problem.

The simplest way to correct this is to connect the device, locate the Sansa in Device Manager, and uninstall it.

Reboot, and plug in the Sansa again.  See of Windows finds and installs the wee beastie. 

If the device was working before, it’s possible that using a registry repair utility (I use Uniblue) will fix you up.

Bob :smileyvery-happy: 

Isn’t Code 41 the code word for Area 51? Oh no, wait  . . . I’ve been watching too many X-Files re-runs :smileyvery-happy:

Thank you so much, Neutron Bob! I did as you suggested and now it works just fine again. And thanks to you others that replied as well. I really appreciate the help - even the X files smile! :slight_smile:

where would i find a registry repair utility?

and i tried uninstalling it then reinstalling and it says that there was a problem installing mtp device.

it says “An error occurred during the installation of the device, the specified service does not exist as an installed service.”

What can i do?

@finalflash80 wrote:

where would i find a registry repair utility? . . .

and i tried uninstalling it then reinstalling and it says that there was a problem installing mtp device.

it says “An error occurred during the installation of the device, the specified service does not exist as an installed service.”

What can i do?

Read this thread (especially the 3rd post down):

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=e200&thread.id=20106

Thank you, neutron_bob! Your advice was correct.

Here’s what I did in detail in case anyone else runs into this problem.

Connect player to the USB port.

Start the following program: Start menu–Administrative Tools–Computer Management

Then open the System Tools subdirectory in the left panel and select Device Manager.

Open the Portable Devices subdirectory in the right panel and the Sansa Fuze 8GB (or whatever your player is) should show up there. Double-click on it to open the Properties window. Select the Driver tab. Click on Uninstall. 

Unplug player. 

Plug player back in.

Windows XP (in my case) automatically detected the new hardware device and installed the correct driver. The Sansa Updater launched itself and I was able to download new firmware.

Don’t hate the player, hate the game.

Amazing! It worked like a charm! Uninstalled, unplugged, plugged back, “Found new hardware”, “Sansa Clip is ready to use”!

Thank you, Neutron-Bob!

Hi guys ,

I am Duong from vietnam, I am not very good at written english so am just trying make it understandable .My idea is probably too late for you guys coz it’s now 2010 already ,but I think my idea may help you guys if you have troubles with bloody sansa e280. A friend of min who came back from the states gifted me this kind of musik player with all necessary 'toys ’ such as : cable , earbuds. When i first used the player and connected to the computer everything was ok till I lost the cable .

They do not sell sansa in vietnam , but fortunately there are couple  electronic markets in saigon-recycled electronic stuff. I finally got very happy ending .(this trick is for people who live close to the markets as i mentioned or black market and electronic repair shop)

That cable doesnt last so long but the tip is still ok . so you could cut another cable and get it welded ( repair shop or you can buy the tools and learn how to do that-very simple) then everything was fine (this tip is for people whose cable initially worked perfectly then couldnt get recognized by pc-and if you cant buy the original cable-the tip of the cable can be opened so you can check it out) .