Sansa e250 V2 USB start problem: connected-refresh database-writting-disconnected - repeats forever

I kept my Sansa e250 v2 in storage for along time, I think more that 6 months. The battery drained out. I connected the device to the computer, and it started behaving abnormal, kind of restarting itself.

It has software version: 03.01.11E and has never been updated.

Please see this video: Sandisk Sansa E250 v2 software malfunction - YouTube

Right after the device starts, it says:  connected - refresh database - writting - disconnected and repeats these steps forever while device is connected to USB on PC.

I tried to start in the “secret handshake mode” by using the Rec button while on Hold and connecting the USB cable. An MTP device appears in Windows Explorer but it is not accessible because the device restarts very quiqly, or better said, it exits that state very quickly.

I formated the device from it’s menu but this didn’t fixed the problem.

If the device is not connected via USB, it behaves normal, but it is not of much use because I can not upload files on it.

Thanks,

Laurentiu.

Update the firmware manually. 

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=e200&thread.id=13548

lmihaila wrote:

I tried to start in the “secret handshake mode” by using the Rec button while on Hold and connecting the USB cable. An MTP device appears in Windows Explorer but it is not accessible because the device restarts very quiqly, or better said, it exits that state very quickly.

Update the firmware manually as suggested by C1u. But the "secret handshake’ procedure you’re trying to use is for the v1 devices to enter Recovery mode. This doesn’t work on yours as it is a v2 model which doesn’t have a Recovery mode.

You want to do the same “procedure”, but press & hold the REW |<< instead of the REC button. Continue holding this until the device pops up in Windows Explorer. It helps to already have Explorer open. This forces MSC mode so you can update your firmware. After the update, you will now have the MSC option available in Settings > USB mode that was missing in the original firmware release of the v2 models.

lmihaila wrote:

Update the firmware manually as suggested by C1u. But the “secret handshake” procedure you’re trying to use is for the v1 devices to enter Recovery mode. This doesn’t work on yours as it is a v2 model which doesn’t have a Recovery mode.

You want to do the same “procedure”, but press & hold the REW |<< instead of the REC button. Continue holding this until the device pops up in Windows Explorer. It helps to already have Explorer open. This forces MSC mode so you can update your firmware. After the update, you will now have the MSC option available in Settings > USB mode that was missing in the original firmware release of the v2 models.