Sansa Clip+ Firmware Update 01.02.09

‘drag it to the Root Directory of my Sansa Clip’

once you have the decompressed file “in your hands”, connect the clip, open it from your computer desktop as you would with every other type of storage media like cds, hard disks, usb keys (this will result in the top folder window of the storage media being opened on your desktop) ,put the mouse pointer arrow on the file icon, push the left mouse button and don’t let it go, and move (a ghost of the file icon will follow you) on the area of the just opened clip “top” folder, and let go of the left mouse button.

for the sake of clarity (and a bit of inside joke among us “nerds”), folders have been always called directories since a lot of time before the “folder” name came, and root means “at the top of the hierarchy” because us techies see this

top boss

|            |

manager   manage2

|

|

workers

as 

workers

|

|

manager   manager2

|          |

|          |

“root” boss

that is, the top of the hierarchy of folders is for us a root of a tree of directories. wierd, I know. don’t ask me why.

But we “nerds” (as you put it) have learned through the years to switch between the ‘directory’ and ‘folder’ concepts as needed. It’s all just arbitrary file linking.

of course, and one day maybe we’ll dump the concepts without much effort for most systems (hierarchical fs are at their limit, e.g. the attribute tagging of media files as a counterexample).

“why a file must have a name?” :wink:

I bought my sansa clip+ yesterday and upgraded the firmware setting Europe region. My audiobooks were inaudible, a faint whisper even at max volume. Upgrading the firmware again (or just resetting to factory defaults) and then selecting US or World gave me more control over the volume.

Also, note that you can set the volume to high under settings. 

Since I upgraded my Clip+ to 01.02.09 it has not only been impossible to adjust the radio volume but the radio output has sudden bursts of unwanted volume.

You can hear a 20 second audio sample at http://www.zen7609.zen.co.uk/clip/clip_radio_problem.wav.

The peak output occurs at 0.8s, 12s, 16s.

The amplitude of the volume burst decreases the longer the radio has been on…is there a valve in there??

I would like to be able to revert to the previous version of firmware and wish I had not “upgraded”.

Long time lurker, first time poster here…

Recently my Sansa Fuse died and so I decided to replace it with a Sansa Clip+ mainly because I liked it’s size. Anyhow, I upgraded the firmware on my Clip+ to the current 01.02.09 and I think I found a bug. I believe this bug probably has something to do with the backlight/freezing bug. 

What I discovered was, that if I was currently playing a song or podcast and then tried to view the system information (to check the battery status), the Clip+ hangs and requires a hard reset (15 second power button).

Can anyone else confirm this problem for me?

Thanks

diggmc wrote:

Long time lurker, first time poster here…

Recently my Sansa Fuse died and so I decided to replace it with a Sansa Clip+ mainly because I liked it’s size. Anyhow, I upgraded the firmware on my Clip+ to the current 01.02.09 and I think I found a bug. I believe this bug probably has something to do with the backlight/freezing bug. 

What I discovered was, that if I was currently playing a song or podcast and then tried to view the system information (to check the battery status), the Clip+ hangs and requires a hard reset (15 second power button).

Thanks

Doesn’t happen for me. Then again, why not just look at the icon on the main screen? Having to light up the screen long enough to go through the menus, just to see a percentage figure,  will waste a little battery power.:wink:

diggmc wrote:

Doesn’t happen to mine either.

Suggestion: 

In the next update how about adding a Fastforward/Rewind (say 5 or 10 secs) when the Chapter Mode is turned off?  It would kinda make sence since the Clip currently supports audiobooks. 

Thanks.

P.S. Or maybe eliminate the Chapter Mode and add FF/RW on click and Next/Previous on 2 second hold. 

($0.02)

Message Edited by dawiese on 04-01-2010 10:10 AM

Hi Tapeworm (& Marvin),

Ok, I just tried it again, this time without my 8GB microssd installed and your right it works as advertised. However if I try it with the microssd install (note: all my tunes are located on it, not on the internal ssd) it hangs. So it looks like it’s a problem only if there’s either (a) a microssd installed and/or (b) a microssd installed with actual data on it.

…and Yes, I could just look at the battery indicator on the main screen, but I was interested in the actual percentage of battery power :slight_smile:

Thanks

diggmc wrote:

Hi Tapeworm (& Marvin),

Ok, I just tried it again, this time without my 8GB microssd installed and your right it works as advertised. However if I try it with the microssd install (note: all my tunes are located on it, not on the internal ssd) it hangs. So it looks like it’s a problem only if there’s either (a) a microssd installed and/or (b) a microssd installed with actual data on it.

…and Yes, I could just look at the battery indicator on the main screen, but I was interested in the actual percentage of battery power :slight_smile:

Yes I agree, it would be nice to see a battery percentage on the main, or ‘Now Playing’ screen without having to dig down to find it in the info. A lot of people feel this way too, as it has been requested numerous times. But until the powers that be at SanDisk find a way to do it (or a will to do it), we’re stuck with what it is.

About your problem . . . is it still coinciding with the backlight and whether it’s on or off? Or does there not seem to be any correlation? Because from the way you describe it, it sounds like there may be a corrupted file or ID3 tag that can’t be read (wrong format or garbage in the fields) that’s causing it to hang up. These 2 things are the #1 suspects when any type of freezing or hanging issue arises, regardless of whether files are playing from the internal memory or card.

Tapeworm:

I agree with your ID3 statement.  Prior to file transfer I started the practice of opening all the files in Foobar2000 and applying ID3 tags to all the files at once, regardless of data accuracy (i.e. author, title, etc…).  This removes any possibility of corrupt metadata. 

Dave

Hi Tapeworm,

I’m not sure what you mean about the backlight being on or off. I have it set to 5 seconds, when I hit the “home” button to begin selecting the “System Settings” menu, the light comes on, then scroll up to the “Info” option and pressing the center button to choose it, that’s when it hangs. I suspected that the mp3 file was corrupted, but if I just leave the buttons alone the file plays all the way through just fine. I just tried it with several different mp3’s and it’s the same result. If the mp3 is located on the microssd card and I’m listening to a song or podcast, it locks up.

Thanks

Don’t know what you mean by the root file. When I have it in Msc mode here are the system files i see:

res_ info system file

version.sdk file

mtable system file

sys_conf system file

monalot2 wrote:

Don’t know what you mean by the root file. When I have it in Msc mode here are the system files i see:

res_ info system file

version.sdk file

mtable system file

sys_conf system file

The ‘root directory’ is what all these files and folders reside in.

diggmc wrote:

Hi Tapeworm,

I’m not sure what you mean about the backlight being on or off.

Sorry, in looking back at your 1st post you said “I believe this bug probably has something to do with the backlight/freezing bug.”

I mis-read or mis-understood, thinking your hang-up problems were happening in conjunction with the back-light. I’ll see if I can replicate what you’re experiencing when I get home tonight but it sounds weird, to say the least.

Still don’t understand. When I drag and drop thefirmware. which one of the files that i’ve mentioned do i drop it into.  Now when i have mode in auto detect setting and view it say internal memory should i put firmware in there. But that is not what the instructions say.  it says you have to have it in the msc mode.

you can do it in mtp mode. put the.bin file in the internal memory folder. DO NOT put it in a folder in internal memory just put it along side the other folder in internal memory. 

your message:

you can do it in mtp mode. put the.bin file in the internal memory folder. DO NOT put it in a folder in internal memory just put it along side the other folder in internal memory. 

Do I have to unzip the file first?  The reason I ask is because when I try to drag anddrop the file into internal memory it will not let me.  

Also I want to be sure what you mean, when I’m im mtp mode and plug player in and portable device window opens and there is a folder named internal memory i should put it in there.   an I understanding you right.  thanks