The first thing I did when I began seeing these issues was to remove both v1 and v2 tags. I then proceeded to retag ONLY the Artist and Album fields using a command like the following:
id3tag -2 --album=“Dancing In Jerusalem” --artist=“Lamb” *.mp3
One thing I did not mention in the initial posting that I referred to that command in was that the “-2” flag tells the “id3tag” command to only write v2 tags.
As far as being truly random or not, I will now turn on the player and type the exact order:
09 - You Are There - Lamb.mp3
01 - Dancing In Jerusalem - Lamb.mp3
06 - Enter His Gates - Lamb.mp3
07 - The Set Time Has Come - Lamb.mp3
08 - There Is A City - Lamb.mp3
03 - Latter Rain - Lamb.mp3
02 - It Is He (Bonay Y’rushalayim) - Lamb.mp3
10 - Holy, Holy - Lamb.mp3
05 - All You’ve Done For Me - Lamb.mp3
04 - You Are My Salvation - Lamb.mp3
As you can see, there is no APPARENT order here.
From my previous posting on this subject, I see a mistake that I made regarding the following command:
“id3tag --track=1 01\ -\ Dancing\ In\ Jerusalem\ -\ Lamb.mp3” should actually have been this:
“id3tag -2 --track=1 01\ -\ Dancing\ In\ Jerusalem\ -\ Lamb.mp3”
I will retag the above referenced mp3’s to see what happens when I use the correct syntax:
Now the mp3’s sort perfectly. So, I can theoretically make this player work for me. Of course I would have to do the following for every mp3 that I ever put on this player:
- Copy them to a temporary directory on one of my harddrives.
- Remove all the tags.
- Add the Album, Artist and track number tags using a command line program called id3tag. Here lies the problem.
If I went through adding the track numbers using id3tag, I would have to make shell script that looks like this everytime I add something to my player:
id3tag -2 --track=1 01\ -\ Dancing\ In\ Jerusalem\ -\ Lamb.mp3 &&
id3tag -2 --track=2 02\ -\ It\ Is\ He\ (Bonay\ Y’rushalayim)\ -\ Lamb.mp3 &&
id3tag -2 --track=3 03\ -\ Latter\ Rain\ -\ Lamb.mp3 &&
id3tag -2 --track=4 04\ -\ You\ Are\ My\ Salvation\ -\ Lamb.mp3 &&
id3tag -2 --track=5 05\ -\ All\ You’ve\ Done\ For\ Me\ -\ Lamb.mp3 &&
id3tag -2 --track=6 06\ -\ Enter\ His\ Gates\ -\ Lamb.mp3 &&
id3tag -2 --track=7 07\ -\ The\ Set\ Time\ Has\ Come\ -\ Lamb.mp3 &&
id3tag -2 --track=8 08\ -\ There\ Is\ A\ City\ -\ Lamb.mp3 &&
id3tag -2 --track=9 09\ -\ You\ Are\ There\ -\ Lamb.mp3 &&
id3tag -2 --track=10 10\ -\ Holy,\ Holy\ -\ Lamb.mp3
I had had the New Testament of the Bible on this mp3 player. 260 mp3’s. Simply not worth it to me
So, if there is a workaround to this, I will be able to keep this player. If not, I will return it to Staples, if they will take it (I only bought it a few days ago, and I do have the receipt…)
Before I close, I just thought of one thing: I would be glad to update the firmware to see if this issue has been fixed. Unfortunately, the Firmware Updater is an exe file, so I can’t run it on Linux… IF I am inclined to do so this weekend, I will go to a Windows machine I have access to and try updating the firmware. If not, back to Staples to get a refund. Yes, I know that the package said that only Windows was supported. But the U.S. Robotics modem that I used to use on my Linux computer only supported Windows. But, it “Just Worked.” It seems to me that someone should be able to design an mp3 player that does not exclude people who chose to not use any Microsoft products.
Thank you very much for your response to my problem, and as long as I have this player, I will try anything else that you suggest.