SanDisk Clip Sport Firmware 1.43 released

Firmware is the software code that powers your Clip Sport. You can think of it as the operating system.  SanDisk actively and periodically updates the capabilities, functionality, and reliability of the Firmware.  For an optimal experience with your Clip Sport, SanDisk recommends that you update your Firmware with each new release.  It’s fast, easy, and free!

SanDisk Clip Sport Firmware 1.43 Download and Installation instructions

SanDisk has released firmware version 1.43 for the SanDisk Clip Sport. Download links and the release notes are available below.

Manual Firmware Update (Download and Instructions)
Manual Firmware Update (All Regions) - Click here to download
All languages are now in one firmware version. After firmware update you will need to select your Language and Region preference.

• Remove any external card from the Clip Sport before performing firmware update
• Ensure your battery is > 50% full.
• Plug in your SanDisk Clip Sport to your computer.
• Download and save the upgrade.hex file linked above to folder on your computer.
• Drag the file to the root directory of your SanDisk Clip Sport
• Disconnect the SanDisk Clip Sport and let the firmware update begin.
• Once it finally finishes doing its update, it will turn itself off.
• Turn the Clip Sport on, Select your language and region preference
• Once its back to the main menu, head to “Settings” >“System Settings”> “Info”, and verify the “Version” is now 1.43".

SanDisk Clip Sport Release notes

This new firmware has various enhancements and bug fixes, including key fixes listed below. Upon completion of the firmware upgrade, the device will turn off; power on the device to complete the upgrade process.  If the device does not initiate or complete, press & hold the Power switch for 15 seconds to reset the device and then press and hold power button again for 1 second to restart

New changes since 1.39

Bugs Fixed:

1. Fixed issue with some FLAC ID3 tag information not being displayed correctly
  2. Improved FW stability and error recovery

New changes since 1.38

Bugs Fixed:

• Fixed aac total time display wrong issue
• Fixed the long duration m4a file playback
• FM frequency jumps below the standard FM lower frequency range once all channels are deleted from a FULL preset list

New changes since 1.36

Bugs Fixed:

• Fixed issue where the end of Audible Enhanced Format (.aax) files were cut off
• Fixed Fast Forward and rewind issue with .aac file

New changes since 1.29

Enhancements:

• Improved GUI translations

New changes since 1.27

Bugs Fixed:
•Fixed issue where the Clip Sport is not detected by Audible manager

New changes since 1.22

Bugs Fixed:
• Improved sorting spec for Audiobooks and podcasts. Track number sorting is now supported
• Fixed OGG file playback and “File format can’t support” issue

Enhancements:

• Improved Compatibility with some micro-SD cards (Fix the 24MHz Clock in High Speed Mode)

New changes since 1.17

Bugs Fixed:
• Fixed playback issue of some FLAC and OGG Vorbis files 

New changes since 1.09

Enhancements:
• Added Key Lock (Press and Hold Back Button for 2 seconds to enable Key lock, Press and hold back button 2 seconds to disable Key lock)
• Added Track number sorting using ID3 tags

Bugs Fixed:
• Notification translations and clarity improved
• Shuffle algorithm improved
• Battery notifications added

Design Limitations:
• Maximum database size supported is now 2000 objects for internal memory and 2000 objects for external memory
• Sorting tracks by Genre is no longer available

1 Like

Nice, the lock/unlock seems to be fixed, thanks for still putting out updated firmware for this great little player!

Hello there, these updates are greatly appreciated, however, I’d like to ask if some future updates will address some functionality issues which others have already raised and I am also experiencing with my Clip Sport.

1 - Any chance that the content in the Clip Sport’s internal storage, and that on the the SD card can be merged, as they were on the Clip+? I cannot imagine that anyone would want to have internal and external content displayed seperately.

2 - Any chance that the Clip Sport can have the gapless playback functionality which I also enjoyed on the Clip+? I listen to a lot of albums which require gapless playback and the lack of this feature is a bit of a pain.

Thanks…

For your concern #2, maybe experiment a bit with the free software “mp3merge”

https://www.shchuka.com/software/mergemp3/

1 Like

You can set the time and date on the Clip Sport, but it doesn’t display that info anywhere.

The time should be displayed in the status bar at the top of the screen (as it was on the Clip Zip). See example images below.

clip sport mockup.jpg clip sport.jpg clip sport mockup.jpg

1 Like

I would be happy about that, too

QUESTION:

There are many posts about the former “Play All” function (as in the Sandisk Clip+). Any chance of having it back in a future Firmware update?

Any news about the development of a new Sandisk MP3 player? The Sandisk Clip Sport has been around for some time now…

@pete2 wrote:

Any chance of having “Play All” back in a future Firmware update?

It would be useful to have a dedicated “Play All” option (perhaps right next to “Shuffle”). It seems bizarre that the Clip Sport is missing some kind great features from previous versions of the Clip. Right now, if you want to listen an entire album in order, for example, a similar effect can be accomplished by playing the first song in the album, hitting Menu button, then setting Repeat to “All” and Shuffle to “Off”.

Please do something to make the folders / albums play in turn.So there’s no continuous playback?Even in cheap Chinese mp3 or Polish(ibox fox 4GB) sequential albums.

Maybe take a look at this interesting discussion in the SanDisk Forum.

https://forums.sandisk.com/t5/SanDisk-Clip-Sport-Plus/Playing-all-music-in-the-music-folder/m-p/369028/highlight/true#M470

Thanks for the help and link,but a well-known company like sandisk should provide this standard continuous playback feature already on launch in the first firmware, even cheap Chinese MP3s they have.And do not bother and combine their own strength.As it is not corrected in the update it is no product sandisk not buy.Ps.Sorry for crippling the language, but I use Yandex translate with Polish translation.

Hi, bought this player an I am happy. Sound and headphones are great. But: why is not possible choose music by genre? This problem I am solved playback by directory. But light blue background and white font are not for my bad eyes good visible. Please change to black background and white font.

Does anybody know if there have been any power management improvements or battery optimization tweaks in the firmware updates over the years? 

Read the first post in this thread and You get all the major and official changes.

I’ve already done so. My question did not refer only to this specific update, but to all firmware updates in general - and most importatly, to possible lesser changes that could consist power management/battery optimization improvements but perhaps have not been mentioned.

In my experience, the long-life battery in the Clip Sport is one of the major benefits of this device.  I do not think any of the Firmware updates were specifically designed to modify the battery life.

I like to set the Sleep Timer whenever I listen to my player (including the Radio).  And I leave the Auto Shutdown timer set to 5 mins.  My player seems to hold on to a battery charge for a long time during long term storage…

ehhh,

SanDisk Clip Sport has very poor software.

Even can’t add bookmarks to audiobooks.

How is it possible to do such bad software at all?

In previous players was possible to upload rockbox.

Battery goog, sound good, shape and dimensions good, but software poooor. Even you can’t see hour :0

Next I’ll try ruizu x50 or 51, has bookmarks.

Firmware is the software code that powers your Clip Sport. You can think of it as the operating system.  SanDisk actively and periodically updates the capabilities, functionality, and reliability of the Firmware.  For an optimal experience with your Clip Sport, SanDisk recommends that you update your Firmware with each new release.  It’s fast, easy, and free!

“SanDisk actively and periodically updates the capabilities, functionality, and reliability of the Firmware.”

periodically? Last update was almost a year ago so it could still be periodically, depending on the period size.

actively? Still almost a year ago, so actively? no.

1 Like

@britany wrote:

Firmware is the software code that powers your Clip Sport.  [FileZilla UC Browser Rufus](FileZilla UC Browser Rufus)You can think of it as the operating system.  SanDisk actively and periodically updates the capabilities, functionality, and reliability of the Firmware.  For an optimal experience with your Clip Sport, SanDisk recommends that you update your Firmware with each new release.  It’s fast, easy, and free!

For an optimal experience with your Clip Sport, SanDisk recommends that you update your Firmware with each new release.  It’s fast, easy, and free!