Questions before I buy a Fuze

I had a View for 2 years but lost it. I’m thinking about going with a Fuze, because I’ve read that it has better sound than the View and I hardly used the video feature. Before I go buy a replacement mp3 player I have a few questions:

1. I have gone through at least 5 pairs of headphones with the View. The sound would die in the left side of the headphones, even though the headphone were fine with electronics. Does the Fuze lose sound over time or have this kind of problem?

2. Are there any compatibility problems with Window 7?

3. Are there any other mp3 players (under $200) excluding iPod and Zune that I should consider?

Thanks in advance :smiley:

@1: I’ve my Fuze since August last year and don’t have any problems with the headphones or the sound. So it plays well :wink:

@2: I’ve not encountered any, but I use the device in MSC mode only (so I could use it like an USB-Stick). I don’t tried MTP mode ever.

@3: I had a deeper look at the devices on the market last year, but I’m sure that the Fuze has by far the best “price-performance ratio”

You’re welcome :wink:

I’ve had no headphone problems with a Fuze in constant use for two years.

Ditto with cruxy on MSC mode. Windows Media Player gives some people problems regardless of operating system–for others, it’s smooth. 

You should look at cnet.com and anythingbutipod.com for reviews of mp3 players. The Sony E345 gets good reviews, but it’s more expensive and less expandable (no microSD slot) than the Fuze.  Samsung players also get positive reviews. 

If video is important to you, the Fuze is going to be more annoying by far than your View was. But it’s a great little music player. 

If $200 is your limit, don’t get a Sansa. The Cowon S9 is a fantastic MP3 player for $199.

Only drawback is no memory card slot.

Black-Rectangle wrote:

I’ve had no headphone problems with a Fuze in constant use for two years.

Ditto with cruxy on MSC mode. Windows Media Player gives some people problems regardless of operating system–for others, it’s smooth. 

You should look at cnet.com and anythingbutipod.com for reviews of mp3 players. The Sony E345 gets good reviews, but it’s more expensive and less expandable (no microSD slot) than the Fuze.  Samsung players also get positive reviews. 

If video is important to you, the Fuze is going to be more annoying by far than your View was. But it’s a great little music player. 

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-Walkman-16GB-MP3-Video-Player-NWZ-E345-Black/11993287

Currently $69 for 16GB. Couldn’t say whether or not it’s any good for video though.

The View’s headphone jack is a known weakness.  According to reports here, the design of the jack on the Fuze is more robust.

Thanks for the answers. I bought a fuze and so far I like it.

New question:

Do I need the mini cd the came with my fuze? Or can I toss it?

Lenja wrote:

New question:

Do I need the mini cd the came with my fuze? Or can I toss it?

I wouldn’t do that. It wouldn’t be the ecologically-sound and environmentally-friendly thing to do.

It does however . . . 

make a dandy coaster for a cold brewsky! :stuck_out_tongue:

@tapeworm wrote:

It does however . . . 

What? No bacon reference? :cry:

Lenja: I didn’t use the mini CD. I’ve just been using drag and drop with my Fuze.

The software you need for the Fuze as a music player is in your operating system (MSC mode USB driver) or Windows Media Player 10 or 11 (MTP mode).

The CD has a user manual you can print out, but you can find that online. It also has the Sansa Media Converter software, but no doubt that has been updated. Unfortunately, you have to unstall Sansa Updater to get SMC, unless you want to try Sharebee. Or just use video4fuze instead.  

I rarely use the software CDs that come with any gadget. It is always a better idea to go to the manufacturer’s website and download the latest driver, which has probably been updated since the CD was made. 

Message Edited by Black-Rectangle on 05-31-2010 09:10 AM

parker wrote:

Tapeworm wrote:

It does however . . . 

What? No bacon reference? :cry:

Well. now that you mention it . . . the mini CD is the same shape and approximately the same size as Canadian Bacon

But that’s just ham to me. :smileyvery-happy: