Pitch bug on Clip+?

Indeed, you never know if the music is playing or not :slight_smile:
I think you also need a small speaker in your player which would continuously beep so you know that your player is still there :) 

>> Having the display on all the time while the player is on also tells you at a glance if the player is on or off.

@m9zf3n5w wrote:

Indeed, you never know if the music is playing or not :slight_smile:
I think you also need a small speaker in your player which would continuously beep so you know that your player is still there :) 

That would also drive up power consumption, not a desired attribute of a “long play” version of clip.

BTW, pushing a button just to bring up the display was considered a pain when they had it on LED watches, barring the first few months when it was how you drew attention to the fact that you had one of the cool new digital watches :smileyvery-happy:.  

MFR’s ditched that as soon as they could switch to LCD.  They don’t seem to be in any rush to switch back to OLED unless it’s for full color (oh boy… yet another gizmo to watch video on a teeny screen!)

@jk98 wrote:

“The watch comparison is appropriate because a 20 year history of monochrome LCD watches with Indiglo style “backlight when needed” shows that they really do work well for readability in various lighting conditions”

Such mature technology is also extremely inexpensive. I want an mp3 player with a display that is on all the time while the player is playing. If a digital watch can have the display on all the time 24 hours a day for years, then why can’t my mp3 player’s display be on all the time while the player is on?

Further OT, but  . . . this really isn’t a fair comparion or realistic expectation. You cannot compare the power needs or output of an mp3 player with that of a digital watch. That’s like comparing the gasoline consumption of a Hummer to a Honda Civic.

And still off the thread topic :wink:

My still-used first digital player, a hard-drive/high capacity player from 5-6 years ago (an iRiver iHP-140), actually has such a display:  an always-on, very visible LCD display with a backlight that comes on when a button is pressed.  Not as “modern” feeling as current displays, it gets the job done and having the display information always there without needing to do anything is nice.  (It’s actually taken me a bit to get used to the typical display nowadays, which turns off.)

@marvin_martian wrote:

What’s left to say about it that hasn’t been said? Given the official statement from SanDisk, hasn’t talking about the pitch issue become

Thanks for reviving this, Marvin! Definitely one of my favs! :smileyvery-happy:

@tapeworm wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

What’s left to say about it that hasn’t been said? Given the official statement from SanDisk, hasn’t talking about the pitch issue become

Thanks for reviving this, Marvin! Definitely one of my favs! :smileyvery-happy:

I thought it was appropriately on-topic, and the image never gets old. :smileyvery-happy:

Actually, I don’t think that continuing to discuss the pitch issue, or any Clip issue, is fruitless, as SanDisk can be a responsive company.  Hopefully, that continues in the future as well.

(Having said that, I love the graphic–Marvin has some great ones!)

@marvin_martian wrote:

@m9zf3n5w wrote:
  the majority of people are perfectly happy with clip+ the way it is, in all but one: the pitch bug, so please let’s move on that issue.

Cool, Marvin… But your guy is too “proper” for me…:smileyvery-happy:

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

@m9zf3n5w wrote:
  the majority of people are perfectly happy with clip+ the way it is, in all but one: the pitch bug, so please let’s move on that issue.

Cool, Marvin… But your guy is too “proper” for me…:smileyvery-happy:

Now that’s just mean . . . kidney-punchin’ him like that! :stuck_out_tongue:

Would admin please rename this thread to a more appropriate title: “dead horse bug” ? :slight_smile:

From reading the posts in this thread people seem to say its fixed on the Clip+ but not the Clip.

Can others affirm this?

From what peorple have stated, it has been (greatly) improved on the Clip+, although not eliminated.  (Now, you can take that for what it’s worth:  if the problem was not detectable by most people before, and now has been improved …)

From what peorple have stated, it has been (greatly) improved on the Clip+, although not eliminated.  (Now, you can take that for what it’s worth:  if the problem was not detectable by most people before, and now has been improved …)

And no change with the Clip original.

I’m in the group of people that could definitely hear the problem on the original clip. Melodies were out of tune (too low by about 20 cents, very noticeable!). I returned the Clip back then. Then I got an iPod Shuffle and listened to that for 10 months (no pitch problem there). I got tired of having no screen and being tied down to iTunes so I though I’d give the Clip+ another try. The pitch problem is gone! I’ve seen other posts on here saying the pitch is higher than normal but I cannot hear it. I can listen to songs now without thinking, hmm that doesn’t sound like the song I know…

Message Edited by color43 on 10-29-2009 10:23 PM

Message Edited by color43 on 10-29-2009 10:24 PM

Message Edited by color43 on 10-29-2009 10:27 PM

Testing done by a couple of people suggests that the Clip+'s pitch variance is a quarter or a third of what it is with the original Clip–all told, 1/4-1/3 of one percent.

I just registered to add my voice to the others who are disappointed that the bug is most likely not going to be resolved. I just purchased my Clip+ today (my first SanDisk mp3 player) and decided to check if there were any firmware updates. I was quite surprised to come across this issue.

I most likely would not have purchased it if I had known of this issue, and SanDisk’s position on it, before today.

I can’t hear the bug in my music but… what if further issues come up? I will be much much more careful before purchasing another SanDisk product in the future.

“I can’t hear the bug in my music but… what if further issues come up? I will be much much more careful before purchasing another SanDisk product in the future.”

Nothing is perfect. If a factor is inaudible, then it should be disregarded. For those who claim to hear a pitch error of 1/4 of 1%, have you ever been subjected to an ABX test? My guess is the vast majority who claim to hear the difference would fail such a test. That is especially true for people using compressed files, inexpensive headphones, and listening in a noisy environment. Don’t try to convince us that you use a $500 headphone with your Clip+, that your music is uncompressed, and that you always listen to your Clip+ in a very quiet environment.

@jk98 wrote:

Nothing is perfect. If a factor is inaudible, then it should be disregarded. For those who claim to hear a pitch error of 1/4 of 1%, have you ever been subjected to an ABX test? My guess is the vast majority who claim to hear the difference would fail such a test. That is especially true for people using compressed files, inexpensive headphones, and listening in a noisy environment. Don’t try to convince us that you use a $500 headphone with your Clip+, that your music is uncompressed, and that you always listen to your Clip+ in a very quiet environment.

Since the bug affects speed as well as pitch, an ABX test should be a piece of cake.  By the end of a song, A and B will be noticeably out of synch. 

FWIW, cheap headphones will not change the pitch, and neither should reasonable compression if the sound is one the model predicts that you should be able to hear.  I have ABX’d compressed vs uncompressed of a number of formats and bitrates.  In my experience (and people better at it than me) the headphone cost is not a big factor because the things that compression messes up aren’t the same things that headphones mess up. 

Cheap headphones faults will likely be (lack of) flatness of frequency response and harmonic distortion.  Compression’s faults are things like temporal distortion, echo/pre-echo, wavering sound.  Compression (esp mp3) often cuts off at 16 khz, but there are plenty of cheap (say, $20) earphones good to over 20 khz.

From what I’ve read, the pitch improvement on the clip+ may be the best they can do with that processor, at least given the power constraints. Since it is essentially the same as Clip, I’d call it a good effort and just wish they would port that fix back to the original clip.   

Message Edited by donp on 10-30-2009 01:59 PM

@jk98 wrote:

“I can’t hear the bug in my music but… what if further issues come up? I will be much much more careful before purchasing another SanDisk product in the future.”

As a consumer, I can expect and demand perfection.  I won’t get it, but I can still demand it.  There is no one correct answer for everyone.  Some people will be bothered by the pitch variance, even if it isn’t easily noticed; while others will be happy with the product as it now stands.

That is why there is more than one company making players.  If you aren’t happy with the Clip or Clip+, there are alternatives to be found in the marketplace.

Again, as a consumer, we can fault a player for any reason.  Just because the person sitting next to you is happy with their Clip (or +) doesn’t mean you have to.  Personally, the cheap appearance of the Clip and Clip+ bothered me more than the pitch variance…Not that this affected the musicality of the device.  It just looked like a free “gift” that one would get out of a box of Cracker Jack.   :dizzy_face:

"Personally, the cheap appearance of the Clip and Clip+ bothered me more than the pitch variance…Not that this affected the musicality of the device.  It just looked like a free “gift” that one would get out of a box of Cracker Jack. "

Why doesn’t Sandisk realize that not everyone likes the idea of having a player with a plastic case. Notice that Swatch, the watch maker, realized that some people won’t buy a watch with a plastic case, so they came out with some models that have a metal case. Perhaps Sandisk should come out with versions of their players that have a metal case. There could also be versions with an easily swappable battery. I would love to have a player just slightly larger than the Clip+ which is powered by an easily swappable(not soldered in) Motorola BR50 battery. Imagine 32 hours of battery life, and the ability to easily swap the battery for even more battery life!

How useful is having 24 GB of storage on a Clip+ if the battery life is only around 12 hours, and the battery is not swappable?